If You Don’t Want To, Run

I said I would run yesterday but it was hard to actually get out there and do it. The weather app on my phone said it was 37 degrees but it felt much colder than that, perhaps because it’s been so cold lately that every day just feels like a sub-zero day.

I convinced Paul to run with me and we tried a new running path so I didn’t know how long the run would be. I had a 30 min run scheduled in my half-marathon training plan from Coach Jenny so I wanted to keep it around that but I also missed a lot of miles in the past few weeks so I was okay with exceeding the time as long as I wasn’t tired. We ran close to 3 miles in 32 mins plus we stopped in the park to take pics too so we were out for longer. Paul took a crazy video of me running down a hill where I tried to channel my inner Usain Bolt. Will try to edit it and post it later.

When I came back from running, my hands felt like they were frozen. But the adrenaline was pumping and I just rubbed my hands together and forgot about it.

I stopped outside and took some crazy selfies. By the time I came inside, I could feel my ankles getting stiff.

When I run, I have to stretch after, there’s just no two ways about it. If I don’t stretch out my muscles after the run, it will feel like there are bricks attached to my feet.

So I did some stretching, some yoga moves and did my #PlankADay challenge. I am up to 1 min 10 seconds and I am extremely proud because when I started, I could barely hold the position long enough to start the stopwatch. I joined the Twitter #PlankADay challenge which just requires you to tweet your daily stats. if you don’t post for 3 days, the @PlankPolice outs you on Twitter so everyone knows you’re slacking. I got outed already over the wknd, not because I didn’t plank but because I didn’t post. Won’t make that mistake again. Today, because of the extra energy from the run, I tried an additional  plank position. I’ve been focused on getting better at the traditional plank but I also tried this backward plank – I sat on the floor and raised my body up so my weight is supported only by my heels and palms flat on the floor. I wish I had a picture of myself doing it but this is the position I attempted:

reverse plank

I doubt that my body was in such a straight line but I’ll try to get pics next time.

And when I was done, I felt great. I delayed the run because it was cold and it’s hard to get motivated to do outdoor activities when the temperatures are unfavorable. But when you know you need to, and you really don’t feel like you can, RUN! You’ll always feel better after!

Today is Wednesday and it’s Cross Training/Strength Training Day.  I am going to work on improving my planks and take a go at some kettle-ball exercises.

AND today, I see one of my best friends from 20 years ago and I can’t wait!

What motivated you to get out of bed this morning?  And have you done planks? Are you good at them?

1. Marsha says:

I’ve recently started uphill walking as my city has many hills. Heck, almost every other neighborhood has “Hill” in its name. Anyhoo… none of those climbs compare to the willpower it takes to get from bed to door. But I try to remember how good I’ll feel when I’m done.
    Planks–I used to do these before I knew they had a name, because I like engaging my core. The reverse….? Yeah, I’d have to stretch for 4 days before attempting 🙂

1. runwright says:

Haha. Thanks for sharing. I like core exercises – I have not been good at them in the past but to be fit, every part of the body has to be fit. Can’t maximize running ability if the upper body has no strength.

2. Laura says:

I’m so feeling you – it is getting harder and harder to brave the cold for me. Today? I’m back at the gym.

1. runwright says:

The last few days, I’ve been thinking about investing in a treadmill or bike trainer for next winter.

1. Laura says:

Yes. Me too. If only I could afford it!

2. runwright says:

Lol. Maybe we’ll both luck out and find some generous person who’s moving and can’t take their equipment with them and want to let it go for a song. I can’t pay much more than that either. 🙂

3. I have so much respect for people who get out there and get her done in the winter. I need to grow a thicker skin, I won’t always have treadmill access. And quite frankly, that treadmill isn’t doing much good for my training!

1. runwright says:

Well, for sure treadmilling is not the same as road running but it helps build stamina and that’s impt for when you get out there. All in good time!

Reblogged this on RUN WRIGHT and commented:

This is what I was writing about a year ago.

5. ashley says:

I had to force myself to exercise today too! We all have this happen from time to time!
    I’ve been doing a lot of planks for the past several months and I’m pretty good at them now. But the strength gain of planks doesn’t transfer to other ab movements – when I go back to doing crunches those will burn like crazy!

It’s funny. The post is from a year ago and I’m still struggling with planks but I can definitely feel myself getting stronger.