I like books that make me think about the world, books that maybe even make me question how the world works, and books that challenge my perspective on things I thought I was settled on. For this reason, one of my favorite books is Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist. And one of my favorite quotes from the book is, “When you really want something to happen, the whole world conspires to help you achieve it.” Personally, I believe that blessings come from God but I believe in the power of prayer and that if you really want something, you can ask God for it yourself, and even ask others to pray on your behalf. But I accept that this quote is another way of saying the same thing.
Anyway, I also think that when you are supposed to do something, that there are signs all around you that remind you of the thing that you’re supposed to do. In the Matthew Perry/Salma Hayek movie Fools Rush In, there was a priest on the street who would say repeatedly, “There are signs everywhere”, as though the things around you were all signs that told you what to do, what decisions to make, etc. And that happens sometimes. Ever notice when you are trying to forget something, it seems everything you encounter is a reminder? Ever notice when you’re trying to avoid someone, you run into them or run into someone else you’d have just as soon not seen then?
So yesterday, I didn’t need to run. The MODRUN running streak was over and I was content doing my 20 minute workout at home and getting ready to leave the house in the morning wearing something other than running clothes. But then everywhere I went, there were signs reminding me about running:
- Like the lady wearing a Fitbit on the bus.
- Like the lady in running gear just getting ahead of me when I was walking to the train.
- Like the flyer that the man handed to me on the street.
- Like me trying to take a picture of the fashion pictures on the electronic billboard at Herald Square and just as I snapped, the display changed to the Nike Swoosh.
- Like the windows that seemed to just pop up in front of me when I went to Union Square.
I yield! I yield! Message received! I’ll be back to running today.