One of the most celebrated journalist and interviewer, Barbara Walters, retired last month. Earlier this week, I heard that she will come out of retirement (after just 3 weeks) to interview the father of the Santa Barbara killer. But whatever the lady Barbara does, her legacy continues when we ask people the tough questions that even though we want or need to know the answer, it might be considered nosy to ask the question.
My blogger friend Sharon from Run Hike Play nominated me for a Liebster award. That means I have to answer some questions and pass the challenge on to someone else. So essentially the Liebster is a chain letter for blogs. And it might be corny and cliche but I am glad she picked me and I have nothing to lose so I’m going to keep it going. Besides, these are great questions that I don’t mind sharing info about. And I’m imagining myself as the winner of the 2014 NYC marathon and the lady Barbara Walters herself, legs crossed,returning from retirement to ask me these 11 Questions:
1. What is your current fitness/health goal?
In January, I made a plan for the year. See the post entitled 14 in 2014 for details. Right now, My focus is on getting ready for the marathon in November but also racking up the miles, keeping my workouts consistent and varied and just getting to my healthiest self.
2. If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and why?
If I was at the airport and I could only buy one ticket, it would be for Jamaica because that’s where my family is and it’s such a beautiful place.
But if I was planning to do some traveling, it would be to Europe, specifically to France, just because I am obsessed with the language and French culture.
3. What is the longest distance you’ve ever run? The longest you hope to run?
2 years ago I ran the Nyrr Staten Island half marathon and it was hard.
4. Which race was your favorite and why?
My favorite race thus far was my first NYRR race- the 2012 Run of Champions at Giants stadium.
I am Giants fan and it was a great motivation that my first race was on the grounds of the stadium and ending on the football field, in the end zone, where some of my fav NFL stars do their thing on. And of course, because it was my first event, it was a total PR. The first race is always the best race so far.
5. What is your favorite running gear item and why?
I like having a running belt to fit all my stuff. I have pockets in some of tights but they never feel big enough for my keys and phone. This Amphipod Airflow Endurance belt that I have, has 2 pockets that fit my ID and cash and keys and a bigger pocket for my phone, it has an adjustable belt with a strong elastic band so it stays in place around my waist or hip. It keeps my stuff easily accessible.
The material is breathable and it doesn’t hold a sweat smell (very important). It cost me about $25 two years ago. I looked at a lot of other brands when I was buying it, and I am happy with the one I purchased.
6. What inspired you to start blogging?
I liked reading blogs and thought writing about my own goals and progress would help keep me motivated. I also wanted a place to keep track of the things and people that inspired me to keep going, and to share them with others so they could be inspired too.
7. What do you love most about blogging?
I love writing. I’ve always loved writing. And I’ve also always struggled with sharing my writing with others, but blogging allows me to write a little at a time and share a little at a time. And I’ve met lots of other bloggers that I wouldn’t have known about or developed a relationship with if I wasn’t blogging myself. It’s a real community that I get to belong to and I like it a lot.
8. What do you like least about blogging?
There’s isn’t much that I don’t like about blogging. There’s nobody breathing down my neck to tell me when or what to post. My schedule, my rules, my choice of content. Sometimes I wish that more people would comment and say what they like or don’t, but I don’t want people to change for me. I don’t comment on every article or blog that I read so I don’t expect it from others either.
9. What’s your favorite food?
I love potatoes, could eat them at every meal in lots of different ways but I limit our interactions and try to keep my diet varied. I absolutely love vegetables and try to find ways to add some green to everything I eat. And avocados. I could put avocados on anything.
10. Do you listen to music when you run? If so, what’s your favorite song right now?
I haven’t run with music in over a year. I like hearing what’s going on around me when I’m outside, I like hearing the sound of my feet hitting the ground. But, I’ve been thinking about trying running with music again, particularly as my runs get longer in prep for the marathon. Sometimes when I am ready to quit running, I wonder if having some music would help me crunch out another mile. I like the upbeat tempo, but without some of the silly lyrics that I just can’t imagine playing on repeat. I like hearing Katy Perry’s Roar and American Authors’ Best Day Of My Life. I guess these are kinda cliche but I am sadly ignorant of what’s new or hip in music. So I am open to other suggestions for a playlist.
11. If you could choose any race, which race would you do and why?
I’d choose a destination race, like the Great Wall marathon in China so I could see the scenery and landscape and experience the sights while I’m running.
So now, I will switch seats and turn the questions to you.
These are my questions:
- What is your favorite way to exercise? If you’re a runner, what’s your favorite cross training activity?
- How do you stay active during winter months?
- How do you keep track of your activities? Apps? Spreadsheets? Or are you old-school with pen and paper training logs
- What is your favorite thing to eat? What’s your favorite thing to cook?
- Which celebrity athlete has most inspired you? Why?
- Which blog is your favorite to read? Why?
- What do you enjoy reading most? Books, articles or blogs? Why?
- What is your favorite book? Why? How old were you when you read it?
- What kind of music do you listen to most? Favorite musician?
- What is the one thing that you like most about blogging? Least?
- How has blogging changed your life?
(I imagine Barbara would be proud of my journalism skills)
These are the bloggers that I want to “interview”:
- Overactive Blogger
- Gluten FreeTreadmill
- Chocolate Covered Race Medals (miss her posts)
- 2 Cups ‘N Run
- Purple Running Pug
- Must Love Jogs
- Marathon and A Sprint
- Curvy Road Runner
- A Fit Little One
- I Run I Breathe (which I just started following today so I am looking forward to her post most of all)
I offer a pre-apology to the bloggers I tagged. Maybe you don’t like chain letter type links or you’ve been nominated before or maybe you just hate that I tagged you here and you’re putting a mental check against me. I just thought this was cool and I wanted to extend it to you. If you don’t accept, then no hard feelings either way, okay?
If you’re going to participate, just please follow this format:
- Answer the 11 questions.
- Create 11 more questions for the next group of people.
- Send it to 11 more bloggers.
- Link me when you do.
And this is the prestigious badge for your blog to indicate that you’ve received the Liebster award.
Thanks for reading and if you would like to share your own responses to any of the questions above, just enter it below. I would love to hear from you.