Handmade

For the past several years, every year, I’ve said, “I am going to work on making gifts rather than buying gifts for Christmas.” The problem is, I usually make that declaration in mid-December when the only thing I could probably make would be some cookies (and even then, quite often, that doesn’t happen)
This year, I am starting early. Or at least, it feels early.
I started a crochet project. When I was a little girl, my Mom taught me to crochet. Fast forward many years without practice and I had to resort to the internet for a refresher course.
This is my first project – a granny square that could be half of a potholder, or something.
It started slow. I made some mistakes and had to pull out my stitches and start over. I had 3 false starts that got to about this level and then I had to go back to square one. Literally.
IMG_4581.JPG

But then, I got the hang of it and I saw where I was making the mistake. And so it kept growing.
IMG_4583.JPG

And after about 2 hours, I had this

IMG_4585.JPG

I have a square. A granny square. And it’s at a point where it could be a standalone item if I decide I can’t do another. (Except I will, because now I’m motivated) My first crochet accomplishment in many years.

I can do this! I can hardly wait to finish.

I used this website as a refresher and for the granny square pattern.

So now that we’re on the subject of crochet, I’ll share some funny crochet pictures with you.

IMG_4592.PNG
All my yarn is the same. Cheap. So expect some scratching, folks.

And as I enter this new craft world, I promise not to become this lady
IMG_4593.JPG

Or this one

IMG_4591.JPG

And I promise never to attempt this pattern
IMG_4595.JPG

Or this
IMG_4594.JPG
That was downright scary.

But maybe since I’m Jamaican, I’ll try this one
IMG_4596.JPG

What’s the last thing you made?

Http:runwright.net

1. TheseKronicles says:

Reblogged this on TheseKronicles and commented:
    Do the crochet thing. Last thing I made was some scarves and before that some handbags.

2. TheseKronicles says:

The last thing I made were some scarfs and before that some hand bags. Do your thing. Such a stress reliever.

1. runwright says:

Hey now! Sounds like you’re the craft guru. That’s good stuff!

3. WalkToRio says:

I promise a friend I would crochet a blanker for the baby she was having.
    I didn’t know how to crochet. I bough wool and needles and started.
    I learn the granny square or something like that, but lost track of the stitches, ended up with something reassembling a scarf, which will be the kid’s 18 birthday gift lol
    Have a nice weekend!

1. runwright says:

Hilarious! It requires a great deal of commitment to see a blanket through from the first slip stitch to a completed blanket. Congrats on finishing the scarf though. How long did it take you?