How Much Should Getting Fit Cost?

The Planet Fitness ads say it costs $10 a month to join the gym. It’s not! It’s actually $10.45. Sure, the extra 45 cents is no big deal. But it’s the principle of the thing. I don’t like when companies say one thing and then change the fine print midway. That’s the old bait and switch. But again, it’s 45 cents so I won’t complain. Not like this weird sign I found online. Funny, but hopefully fake.
IMG_4737.JPG

I’ve been a PF cardmember before. Even though I prefer to workout in the park, run, walk on the streets, do yoga moves from online videos or lift my single weight in the comforts of home, I joined PF a few years ago so I could workout with my friend. She had invited me to go with her because she had a black card which meant that she could carry me as a guest. But I didn’t want to inconvenience her that she would have to wait for me at the entrance, etc, so I signed up for my own card.
After a few months, I upgraded to the black card too so I could bring in my own people, which I never did because none of my friends back then were gym goers. A few months after that, I cancelled altogether because I didn’t want to pay $20 a month for something I wasn’t even using consistently. At the time I was in college where I already had free access to a gym I wasn’t using.
See like I told my mom, if you go to the gym everyday, $10 a month becomes 30something cents per workout and how can you beat that? But if you’re not using it, it’s money being wasted every month, no matter how much. Double that for nothing extra, is just throwing good money after bad.
But as much as I didn’t want to admit it, I need a gym. Running is not enough. Yikes. I can’t believe I just said that. Quelle horreur! But it’s true! We need cardio and strength training.
So I’ve been looking for a gym.
Last week, I checked out the YMCA and loved it. All good there.
But I decided to give Planet Fitness another chance to wow me and I gotta tell you, it happened. I took the tour, I tried it out and I signed up.
This particular gym is open 24 hours every day except Christmas, it’s down the street from where I live, it’s $10 $10.45 per month, it’s huge, 2 floors of workout space, a separate area for circuits or a 12-minute an workout. There is a trainer who sets you up with an individualized fitness plan and does one-on-one or group sessions, for free, at certain times during the day.
And I haven’t checked out the classes yet but hopefully, they’re nothing like this ad. Remember this?

IMG_4736.JPG

The locker room is clean, the TVs work, the machines are newish. What’s not to love?
I know the case for the Y was strong but PF pitched a stronger case. Money talks. And at the end of the day, all that matters is that I’ve found a place to get stronger and fitter and that I honor my commitment to my health.
And it didn’t hurt that on the first night I worked out with my friend, she brought me this awesome vegan, gluten free quinoa-flour cake as a reward after the workout. PF is pretty good but that cake just might have been the deciding factor.

IMG_7013.JPG

So this week, I treated myself to:
1. A gym membership and with it, an opportunity to live my best life way into the future.

2. A walk in Central Park, that yielded this fantastic view

IMG_4729.JPG

3. As many opportunities as I could find to just move my body.

IMG_4718.JPG

How did you Treat Yo’Self this week?

Wanna read more?
Blog everyday in October posts
Treat Yo’Self Thursday posts
Bella for Blogger Confessions
Amanda for Thinking Out Loud
Anne
Natalie for Thursday Confession

Please follow me on Bloglovin Instagram Twitter so we can stay in touch.

Http:runwright.net

1. I would join pf, but they have clothing restrictions that my religion won’t let me honor. Phooey

1. runwright says:

Oh. That’s too bad. What’s the restriction?

1. I have to wear something on my head at all times. Pf says no headgear

2. Me says:

Aaargh, you’re making me feel guilty with the weights reminder. My indulgence is my gym as they have a sauna and whirlpool and daycare, but I have been bad at doing anything other than zumba….

1. runwright says:

Trust me, we’re in the same boat. For so long I’ve been telling myself that running is a full body workout and I just need to stretch when I’m done and I’ll be good. But after much resistance, I’m finally walking into the light and trying to do better. Just gotta do what’s best for YOU!

3. I wish we had a YMCA close to me. Our chain gym here costs me $76/mo after adding in childcare use to the membership. But I love to workout, so I’ve just always budgeted for it. That being said, I also love to get outdoors and do jogging strolls with my kids too…but it’s not enough to keep me consistent. We have PF….but I don’t like their gimmick…I’ve heard them be ruthless about the “dress code”.
    -Morgan
    California To Carolina
    The Gym Bunny

1. runwright says:

I don’t have a problem with the dress code but maybe it’s different in NYC. All I’ve heard is no jeans, no hats, no boots. That works for me. What do they enforce in your area?

4. I love going to the gym to mix it up a bit. I go everyday so it’s worth the investment. Right now, I have two gym memberships… the first one suckered me to renew my contract until June of next year but I did it as their daycare is so good. I was plateauing there though as the classes were the same every.single.day. THe next one has all these classes and is waaay better… I figured that I’d economize in other ways and splurge on this πŸ™‚
    XO Sarita it’s my girls’ world

1. runwright says:

I love that! Sounds like it’s totally worth it. What classes do you take?

5. aduross5 says:

I am one of those people that is currently donating money to Planet Fitness each month. I haven’t gone in soooo long. I need to get back to the gym. Thanks for the incentive!

1. runwright says:

Haha. I’ve done that monthly donation too but it’s always a good time to start taking something in exchange for your payment. Hope you make it back soon. Or find something else that motivates you. Keep me posted.

6. Natalie says:

i have a gym membership but we never use it… it’s so bad!! Once I have this baby though I am going back to the gym hard and getting fit again! Way to go on your mission to get fit!

1. runwright says:

Natalie, if you don’t go to the gym for 2 years after baby, I would completely understand πŸ™‚ all the best with having the baby. Hope (s)he is healthy and beautiful.