It’s Too Early For Writers Block

NaNoWriMo is under way. On Day 1, I wrote 35 words. Yes, you read that right. 35 words! In a challenge to write 50,000 words in 30 days, on Day 1, I wrote a whopping 35 words i.e. 0.07% of my new novel completed.

I had a busy Saturday evening though. It was my pastor’s last day at church before he leaves for sunny California and we had a program to celebrate him. By the time I got home, it was almost 10:00 p.m., I was emotionally drained, hungry, cold and wet and although I had planned to write my 1666.67 words, I got one sentence out and quit. I guess I should celebrate the fact that I am writing 35-word sentences. See, it’s all about perspective.

Screen Shot 2014-11-02 at 7.31.18 AM
Screen shot from the NaNoWriMo site. It says at this rate, I’ll be done with my novel in Sept 2018. Nice going, Karen!

Today is Marathon Day in NYC. I woke up early to watch the pre-race coverage – but not really since I gained an hour last night. So I’m set for the morning, TV in front of me, laptop ready and since I now have to crank out over 3,000 words today to get back on track, I’ll be focused. Until the elite runners start approaching my area when I’ll head to the streets to do my part and cheer these marathoners on.

Go runners! Go writers! Go everyone who’s doing something wonderful today!

What’s your Sunday like?

Weekend Recap at Bella and The City

1. Martha B says:

You will totally get that word count. I was so excited for nano to start, on Friday at midnight I was sitting there with my laptop open ready to roll… It took me a good hour to crank out a first sentence I could live with!!! Yikes! I think it’s going to be a rough month! Happy writing!

1. runwright says:

I think I made up for it today – I wrote this morning and writing again tonight. They say it should be easier in the beginning of the month so I am trying to get that momentum going. We should be writing buddies on the NaNoWriMo site! All the best with your novel too.

1. Martha B says:

Yes! I have no buddies yet! My name is MLSki, so add me! I’m up in the 7000s today finally but this morning nothing was really coming out. I’m really excited about this project as a whole, though!

2. Anna says:

Oh, I was not able to meet the word count on the first day of NaNo, either. It’s still early, though, so I’m sure that given enough time we’ll catch up soon on the 50,000 word count! 😀 Lol. Good luck running and writing! (Sidenote: I was always in awe of people who loved to run, as it’s one of those “I wish I could do that.” things for me. Lol.)

3. bellaramos says:

Don’t beat yourself up if you didn’t hit a huge goal the first day. I think once you start going, it will come easier. Good for you though for doing the NaNoWriMo! I just stick to the blogging side of it.

Thanks for linkin’ up!

4. bellaramos says:

Thanks for linkin’ up!

1. runwright says:

Thanks. I love your blog because you do what you do so well. Keep it up!