Eat Like It’s Winter

It’s Winter in NYC. Although winter is still officially a month away, the temperatures are in the low 20s and it makes us (me) want to get warm, filling meals, the stick-to-your-ribs kinda meals. Like oatmeal or hot chocolate in the morning and soup or chili or macaroni pie waiting for you in the evening after you’ve braved a long, cold commute.

That’s why meal prep is so important. It makes a huge difference coming home knowing I actually have those awesome things in the fridge already.

Eat Right:

A few weeks ago, I started planning my meals for the week but last week, I realized I just really need to plan for the work week.

Here is this week’s plan:

IMG_4927.JPG

On Sunday, I was home all day so I did my meal prep; I cooked spinach rice, mac and cheese, potato salad, cole slaw, meatballs, wings, plantains, chili.

Monday and Tuesday, so far, have been brick-cold and I feel like I eat more to make up the energy to stay warm. This is probably a lame excuse unless I’m living in an igloo or on the tundra, but it’s what I’m thinking so indulge me.

One thing I changed about the meal plan is that I eat a small snack before I go to the gym because I don’t like to workout on an empty stomach. During the summer, I used to go running without eating first and I think that’s why sometimes I felt so nauseous or weak at the end of a run. Now, I know I need a little something in me to fuel the workout and I can do cardio or weights without feeling weak.

Also, I am going to sleep earlier at night so I am trying to eat earlier in the evening. The wonderful thing about having leftovers (prepared meals) in the fridge is that I can eat as soon as I get home. No waiting for food to cook so I need a snack to tide me over. Early dinner and a night-time snack if I want a little dessert later.

So far, it’s a bit of an adjustment. It feels like I am eating a lot but I have to give it a while to see how it works.

Some of the best things I’ve eaten so far this week:
Apple, Berry, Oatmeal Pancakes with Apple Slices and Eggs. Yum!
IMG_8898.JPG

Veg chili with cheese and tortilla chips for lunch

IMG_7424.JPG

Sunday Dinner

IMG_7416.JPG

Live Right:

I’m just taking things easy to give myself the best opportunity to get better but today, today is the day I get back to working actively on all those goals I want to accomplish this week – writing, reaching out, serving, creating.  I have big plans for today!

Run Wright:

Temperature in the low 20s. I shudder at the idea of running outside so I am doing my running on the treadmill.

Check out these linkups for WIAW, (Not So) Wordless Wednesday
Diary of a Housewife, Link Love

What are you doing to Eat Right, Live Right and Run Wright today?

1. I was very interested to read about your meal prep. Looks look to me! Good luck and great job for sticking with it

Thanks. Well the key is to plan meals you really want to eat so its not a chore to make because you’re looking forward to digging in. Thanks for stopping by, Lauren. I hope you have a great, warm day 😀

1. That’s so true. I look forward to eating spinach every day, so I can relate. You too!

2. livitant says:

Planning makes me so much calmer! It just takes the pressure off of the week, because I already know what I’ll be eating!

And it means you have already bought the things you need. If I had to walk from the grocery store with a bag yesterday in 22 degree temps, I might have just eaten cereal for dinner instead 😀

3. Kate says:

Oh I am so with you, winter is the worst time of year for me living in a cold climate! I live in the Netherlands and am still riding my bike everywhere despite the cold….I have turned to warm lemon water to warm me up and I am slowly getting into different winter habits and am still managing to lose fat to get to my goals despite the cold! But it is so hard and meal prep and good habits are so important this time of year (that isn’t to say though that tomorrow when I am going to spend 4 hours out in the cold I will get a warm hot chocolate or some mulled wine but I will get in a solid workout to help with that ;))

Warm lemon water sounds like a good idea because you just can’t drink hot chocolate all the time. Otherwise, it wouldn’t be a treat anymore 😊

4. everything looks amazing!

Thanks. It all tasted good too 😊

5. Sci-fi Sally says:

Hello! I’ve just started following your blog and it looks like a lot of fun! I am interested in running, though I still have to figure it out in my schedule, so I really appreciate what you have to say, especially sense a lot of my occupation is sitting still for hours on end!
    Thanks and have a blessed day (or night, whenever you see this)

Thanks so much for reading and commenting. I havent been running a lot lately but I’m doing a midnight run on New Year’s Eve. I try to stay active at home, at the gym or whatever I’m doing so that’s my best advice. Find something active you like to do and make time to do it!