What If

Regrets, I've had a few;
But then again, too few to mention.
I did what I had to do
And saw it through without exemption...

Those lyrics are from “My Way”, a song made famous by Frank Sinatra, and it popped into my head when Shelly tweeted the prompt for this weeks Write or DieWhat do you think of the saying “no regrets”? Do you think it is natural or conducive to have regrets? Do you think regret is a useless emotion? Do you have any regrets? Write or Die Wednesdays I’ve had moments of self-doubt – when my choices didn’t quite pan out the way I hoped and I find myself wondering, Did I do the right thing? What would have happened if I’d gone the other way, made the other choice?

But ‘IF’ does not lead to happiness. ‘IF’ says that you are not content that you made the best decision you could with the information you had at the time. In the NFL, it’s called Monday morning quarterbacking, where the sports analysts use the outcome of the game to asses whether the decisions made during the game were the right ones. You can’t do that. You could drive yourself crazy with questions. It won’t change what happened.

In hindsight, you can see how a decision you made set up a chain of events but how to tell what events a different step would have led to? Remember the movie Sliding Doors?  Remember Jo Walton’s book, My Real Children? Who knows what would have happened if you made another choice? The point is you didn’t, so you could waste your time and emotion in regret or you can move forward with the life you actually have.

My only regrets are the things I didn’t do – the stories I dreamed but never wrote down, now lost somewhere in the muddle that is my mind; the opportunities I never took, now gone forever; the friends I didn’t make because I didn’t say the things I should have; the goals I set but didn’t work on which means I am still working towards them even now.

I choose to be happy with my decisions, most recently, my decision to start a MODRUN in the middle of winter. Day 3’s run was a little under 2 miles. MODRUN2015 http://ruwnright.netSure something might happen that makes me say, I wonder if I made the right decision. But I can’t go into it thinking like that.

On the run, I snapped a pic of someone’s window box arrangement. Yup, those are Eggshells!Window art http://runwright.net The best thing I ate yesterday was from this little game I played with myself a la Chopped. What can I make with a piece of chicken breast, 2 carrots, 2 baby potatoes and some lentils? Chopped Challenge http://runwright.net It was delicious, filling and best of all, healthy. Refuel http://runwright.net IMG_9771 What’s on your mind today? Shared with – Centerpiece WednesdayWow Us WednesdayBefore and After WednesdayBloom DesignsEmpty Your ArchiveCreative MusterProject ParadeInspired2Whimsy Wednesday,  Write or Die Wednesday, WIAW,  Wordless Wednesday And if you’re not already, please follow me on Bloglovin Instagram and Twitter so we can stay in touch.

1. Kasey says:

YES! Oh my god the Monday morning quarterback comparison is SO on point.

Thanks! Glad you got it 😀

2. Kasey, I know this analogy is rocking your world! 🙂

Liked by 2 people

2. Karen,

This is such a lovely and thought-provoking post. I like how you pointed out that we make our decisions based on the information we have at the time.

I am currently wrestling with feelings of regret about moving to Hawaii. My husband and I feel like we did not make the best choice (for so many reasons), but your words really hit home. We did make what we thought was the best choice based on the information we had at the time. How were we to know what we know now until we actually got here and experienced it for ourselves?

Thank you for the revelation. Whole-heartedly!

Shelly, YOU JUST MADE MY DAY! Sometimes I wonder if I should write something and when I do, someone says something like this. So Thank You for validating me.
      I will pray for you and your husband that you also get the validation you need by things turning around in your favor, or for the courage to honestly evaluate the situation and say glad we tried but now let’s do something else.
      I hope the best for you!

3. “IF does not lead to happiness.” Yes! A thousand times, yes. I’ve found that IF only leads to anxiety and guilt and despair. It’s just not productive in my opinion. And Sliding Doors, yes! It’s funny how just one small change can have a completely different impact. So glad you linked up with us – I really love reading your thoughts, you are always so insightful! 🙂

Thanks so much, Mia. It was a great prompt so kudos to you ladies for coming up with these topics and teasing the words out of all the writers.

4. Lysa says:

Thank you for linking-up with us at the Oh My Heartsie Girls Wordless Wednesday Link Party.

Wishing you an awesome week!

xx
    Lysa
    Co-Host OMHGWW

Thank you for hosting. I hope you have a wonderful week ahead also.

1. Lysa says:

Thanks that is very sweet of you!

5. OMG, I love the city! That window box gives me joy!

6. OMG I love the city! That window box gives me joy!

I love finding these little gems on my run through my neighborhood.

7. What an adorable window display! Good for you to get out on a run! Thanks for sharing at OMHG WW this week!

Thank you so much. I’m trying to do a running streak to keep myself motivated to run during the winter months. It’s turning out to be easier than I thought… although it’s supposed to snow this weekend – that could dramatically change things 🙂