Forever Young

Imagine being ‘Forever Young’? That’s probably an enticing thought. You might have thought about never developing wrinkles, never going bald or maintaining the skinny figure you sported as a teenager with the ability to eat all the junk food with none of the weight gain. ‘Forever Young’ sounds like a happy place.

But imagine, instead, that ‘Forever Young’ meant being trapped in youth, never acquiring the maturity your years can bring, the wisdom of experience, the joy of overcoming the failings that only adulthood can deliver.

Remember the years of being told what to do, when to do it, how often it needed to be done? Contrast that with the relative freedom you enjoy as a card-holding, key-turning, paycheck-cashing, tax-paying adult. Is ‘Forever Young’ really the dream? Or is its luster fading fast?

Forever Young http://runwright.net

Visit Write or Die Wednesdays hosted by Its Shelly’s Cabaret

1. What a cool thing to ponder, Karen! I sure do miss eating junk (specifically, McDonald’s french fries and a Coke) and not having to think twice about it :).

The cost of living is so high here in Hawaii that many adults (and their spouses and children) still live with their parents. I know that when I lived in Texas, one was generally looked down upon if they were living with their folks well into adulthood, but it’s a non-issue here. It’s not a sign on living in loserville. lol

There was one point in our lives when we were having our home built and my husband, children and I stayed with my parents for a few months. It was heaven. Haha. My mom and I alternated cooking days, the house was always clean, etc. I kind of loved that overlap of being an adult and temporarily being my parents’ kid again.

In a perfect world we’d stay young and fit without surgery, diet and exercise, but still be able to hold on to the wisdom we acquire along the way 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Eating anything and living as we see fit with no weight gain or consequences… That sounds like heaven 🙂
      But it’s great that you could spend some time living with your parents as an adult with a family. That’s the kind of thing that makes you even closer to your parents. I think living apart from them might even be a disservice we do ourselves – learning from our elders, we can benefit from the wisdom of their experiences without having to make the same mistakes ourselves.
      I don’t live close to my family and I think about it everyday.
      The Hawaiians might have it right.

2. Mia says:

Oh, to be forever young. I think that’s why the “vampire” culture is so popular these days, because people fantasize about never growing old and wrinkly. But I feel that the life experience and the wisdom and the freedom we gain from getting older far outweighs the joys of being young, in my opinion. I mean, don’t get me wrong – being able to eat whatever I want and fit into my high school clothes would be amazing, haha. But I wouldn’t want to go back to that place in my life.

Anyway, I always love your food for thought! Thanks for linking up. xo

Liked by 2 people

Thanks, Mia. If only we could eat the high school food and fit into the high school clothes without dealing with high school issues. But we can’t have both. I’m enjoying being an adult!

3. mackenzieglanville says:

I recently wrote a post similar, thinking about would I want to be 18 again, um . . no! I loved my childhood, my teens, my party days, but I was always searching for something, and I now have that something, so 38 I happily am!

I love that! It’s best to enjoy every day so you’re not constantly looking back and yearning for the past.

4. JMD398 says:

Definitely luster fading fast. I enjoy the growth and the experience gained. Cant wait to impart knowledge on some of these youngins now and tell em how it was done back in the day walking to school bare foot with no book bag and a sac lunch haha was my folks the only one that tried to run that game on me

I like that idea of not just celebrating the wisdom that comes with age, but also sharing it’s benefits with others.

5. Kay R. says:

Definitely thought provoking. I think Ill forever be young in my mind and thats whats important 🙂

Right. We never outgrow youthful thoughts and actions.