5 reasons to include raw foods in your diet:
- Raw foods contains all their water which helps keep us hydrated
- Raw foods retain their alkalinity – cooking can make some foods acidic and high acid levels in our bodies promote disease-conducive conditions
- The natural state of most fruits and vegetables is such that we can eat them raw, meaning less processing and handling and cleanup
- Most foods contain the enzymes to help us digest them but the enzymes are reduced or lost during cooking.
- Cooking vegetables at high temperatures caused some loss of heat-soluble nutrients – especially Vitamins C and E
5 vegetables that you’re better off eating raw:
- Bok Choy
The above are all cruciferous vegetables (named because they have 4-flowered leaf arrangements that look like a cross). Cruciferous vegetables contain enzymes called glucosinolates that are converted to cancer-fighting compounds called isothiocyanates when the vegetables are shredded – chopped for a salad or chewed when eaten. However, much of the enzyme is destroyed when it is cooked so it’s still good for you but not as great as it started out being.
5 vegetables that are better when cooked:
- Tomatoes – release lycopene which helps to prevent cancer cells from forming
- Carrots – low heat helps carrots to produce antioxidants known as carotenoids and ferulic acid
- Spinach – cooked spinach releases more lutein which helps with maintaining eye health
5 ways to include raw foods in your diet this weekend:
- Crudités plate
- Fresh fruit for snacks
- Add sprouts to your meals
Eat Right, Live Right, RUNWRIGHT!
I’m currently reading the book //ws-na.amazon-adsystem.com/widgets/q?ServiceVersion=20070822&OneJS=1&Operation=GetAdHtml&MarketPlace=US&source=ac&ref=tf_til&ad_type=product_link&tracking_id=runwright-20&marketplace=amazon®ion=US&placement=006229718X&asins=006229718X&linkId=YMCLGTDGXASWFTVR&show_border=true&link_opens_in_new_window=true” target=”_blank”>Superlife which has a great section on nutrition. Click the link to purchase a copy.
Shared with – Dedicated House, The Life of the Party, Kitchen Fun with My 3 Sons, Link Party Palooza, Pin Junkie, Craft Frenzy Friday, Best of the Weekend, Party Junk, Pin Me Link Party,Fridays Unfolded, Junkin Joe, Weekend Re-Treat, Anything Goes, Oh My Heartsie Girl, Creative Collection, Friday Favorites, DIY Inspired, Foodie Friday, Venus Trapped In Mars, Lauren Elizabeth, The Diary of a Real Housewife, Mar on the Run, September Farm, Meet @ The Barre, XOXO Rebecca, Clare, April