3 Life Lessons From Wild Animals

I visited the Museum of Natural History over the weekend and couldn’t help thinking about the life lessons I was getting from the exhibits. Today, I share 3 lessons from the museum with you:

1. Eat Right: Diet isn’t everything. Last week, I had an interesting argument debate with my gym friend about replacing all-you-can-eat cake with all-you-can-eat salads because grass isn’t fattening so you can eat as much as you want. The hippopatamus proves otherwise. Hippos are herbivores and an adult hippo can eat up to 130 pounds of grass per day. But they also don’t exercise much, since they have to spend most of their days in the watering hole to keep their skins cool. Now, have you seen the hippos size and shape? Proof if ever there was one that it’s not just what you eat, it’s what you do that matters. ï»¿
  2. Live Right: So much of our culture has tried to demonize the sisterhood and even our current TV programs are often dedicated to focusing on how women fight against each other at every turn. (Thank God that has not been my personal experience!) But in the wild, many female species spend their time in same-gender company, women and big sisters and aunts teaching and nurturing and modeling for the young as they travel in herds. Elephants are a great example of this sisterhood, rallying their young, surrounding and protecting them even from the tourists’ cameras almost. 😀
  3. Run Wright: The impala is a beautiful animal and fast! It moves primarily by leaping, as much as 20 feet in the air and up to 30 feet lengths. ï»¿ï»¿ But the impala is hunted by a number of predators including cheetahs (the fastest land animals), hyenas and leopards and the impala’s babies are targeted by predatory birds. From birth, the impala is always being hunted by an animal that’s bigger and faster and only wants to kill it. Yet, on average, the impala lives about five years in the wild (even in zoos away from predators in a controlled habitat their life span is only about 10 years so 5 years is a good run – pun intended). The point is there will always be something or someone trying to prevent you from going forward. Even if they are beigger or stronger or faster, just keep doing what you know you should.

This week’s goals are centered on incorporating some of these same lessons in my life:

Eat Right

• stick to calorie limit on Lose It App

Live Right

• find ways to celebrate the women in my life
  • exercise every day
  • write every day
  • finish story collection

Runwright

• run 15 miles
  • gym 4 times
  • ace swim practice

Link up below to share your goals and how you are achieving them.

Follow me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

Shared with â€“ Monday FundayMonday BloomInspiration MondayIn and Out of the Kitchen – Feeding BigMet Monday – Between Naps on the PorchFrugal Crafty HomeMake it Pretty MondayTDC Before and After, Inspire Me MondayMunching MondaysCreate-Link-InspireMade By You, B Loved BostonBella and The CityWeekly WishesWeekend RecapMonday Madness, Manic MondayWeekly GoalsSocial Media Saturday

1. ashley says:

My goals this week is to snack healthy, drink more water, practice yoga at least twice this week – and in general, slow down. I feel I’ve been racing through life the past several weeks and it’s starting to really wear me out. So I want to slow down and RELAX this week!

Listening to your body and acting accordingly can be the best thing you do for health. Do it!

2. Kayse says:

I love what you learned from your visit to the Museum of Natural History. What great goals for the week! I especially like ‘find ways to celebrate the women in my life’. We’ve gotta support the wonderful women in our lives. I hope you’re able to complete all your goals for the week!!

Thanks, Kayse. That might be the hardest to accomplish because it’s easy to just focus on me and always a challenge to reach out.
      I hope you have a great week also.
      Thanks so much for your comment.

3. This is a really great post. As a nature lover, I find this so very creative, with points from the animal kingdom that can be applied to my own life.

Love the example of the hippo, an inactive herbivore.

Thank you for sharing! 🙂

~Carl~

Thanks. I didn’t want to be wrong about the veggies but I couldn’t argue with the proof. Exercise matters! 😊
      Thanks for commenting, Carl

4. Kay R. says:

Ive always said that we can learn so much from animals and its so true!

Tell me about it! Sometimes the challenge is being opening to learning from those we consider inferior.

5. Robyn Petrik says:

I just started running again last week, and whew, it’s been challenging getting back into it. But of course, it always feels amazing when I’m done. There’s a lot of value in eating and running right!

Good for you getting back out there on the road. Keep it up!