How To Make Time For Reading

Some weeks, I don’t reading much – maybe I’m focused on my own writing, or teaching, or trying to catch up with the people in my life, or spending my free time in the gym. Then, my reading definitely takes a back seat. But honestly, I feel most fulfilled when I make time to just read – to enter another space through the portals of well-written fiction, or learn something new from some inspiring non-fictional works.

On my (maybe ambitious) reading list for the upcoming month are:

• All The Light We Cannot See
  • Mosquitoland
  • Cheryl Strayed’s Wild
  • The Girl On The Train
  • Gretchen Rubin’s Better Than Before
  • The Life-changing magic of tidying up
  • The Power of Habit
  • Quiet: The Power of Introverts

How will I make time for all that reading?

Well, I’m glad you asked.

How to make time to read all those books on your shelf

1. I always have a book in my purse to fill the time spent in the post office line.
  2. As long as I’m a passenger in a moving vehicle, I am always ready to read – on planes, trains or automobiles, I am ready to read.
  3. I multitask. I read when I’m doing other things. I’ve taken many a book into the kitchen to read while I’m stirring the pot.
  4. If I’m alone, I read while I eat.
  5. Live TV shows doesn’t hold my attention so I read during commercials or even during the show itself if the plot is moving slowly.
  6. After I (reluctantly) turn the TV off at night, I spend a little time (or a lot if it’s a real page turner) with a book before I go to sleep.
  7. And of course, there are lots of other spare moments in the day, when I just have some down time and I am ready to spend some quality time with a favorite character and I crack open a favorite book and say “Hello, old friend!”

What are you reading now? What are you reading next? How do you make time for reading?

Find me on FacebookGoodreads, BloglovinInstagram and Twitter

Or visit my Amazon Author page to see my book It’s Complicated: Short Stories About Long Relationships

1. I’m struggling with this, too. One of my 2015 goals is to read a book a week (or 52 books for the year), but I’m not even close to that goal. I’m training for a marathon and so I’m running a lot and then I spend the rest of my free time with my family. I need to be like you and just sneak in those moments of reading when I can, but it’s hard for me to really get into a book unless I’m able to sit down and spend some time with it, you know? Right now I’m reading a book called Bees by Laline Paull, which is a fictional book about a society of bees. It’s very interesting, but I really haven’t had a chance to escape into it.

I know what you mean! I love having time to just immerse into a book as well. Do you do audiobooks? I’ve heard lots of people listen to books while they run, although it’s not really something I do often. I much prefer the print version but if you get a great reader, it can sure be interesting and a great way to multitask

1. I tried listening to an audiobook once when I was reading and I didn’t like the audiobook and just never tried listening to anything else, but it’s definitely something I should try again! Especially since I’m getting into the really long runs, audiobooks might help pass the time. If you hear of any good ones, please let me know!

I think it’s all in the person reading. Years ago, I listened to Barack Obama reading Dreams from my father and he was great. Also, Malcolm Gladwell reads his books like lectures so it’s very easy to listen. And one more, Frank McCourt: Teacher Man. He reads like a storyteller.
        But these I listened to a couple years ago. I’ll definitely let you know something more contemporary soon.

2. Katie says:

I try to read before bed but if I’m honest…I never get too far. I read most when I am on vacation like I am now!! I am hearing a lot about Girl on the Train!! I’ll have to get that one. And I loved Teacher Man and listened to it and read a long with the book! Have a Blessed Holiday!

3. Kay R. says:

I would add carry around ereaders like kindle or ipad. While its not my preferred method to read, it does make reading on the go a bit easier 🙂
    I generally read every night before I sleep.

Good for you. I downloaded kindle for iPhone recently and I’m still on my first book 😀

4. John says:

Love the discussion. I struggle with staying on one book. I read for work, life enrichment, knowledge, spiritual growth and occasionally just for recreation. It becomes a what am I in the mood for approach from day to day. I have done a number of audiobooks but find the information harder to retain probably because I am doing other things at the same time. I am a quite space kind of reader. Noises often become a distraction and I lose my focus but as I have gotten older I have appreciated reading in a way that I have learned to do better in this area.

Thanks for sharing, John. Audiobooks do have their purpose but I just love the printed word. What are you reading now?