We should get to a point where we learn from our mistakes and take steps to stop repeating them. Sometimes, I’m not so good with that and when I find myself doing the same dumb thing time and again, I judge myself harshly.
So here are 5 things I plan to never do again and if you see me doing them, stop me!
- Eat so much candy that my stomach hurts. I have a high tolerance for sugar so it takes A LOT of candy to make my stomach hurt. Enough said
- Say mean things to someone. Yeah, I know, tough love and all. But love doesn’t hurt. And if your words hurt, then they must not be loving enough. I’ll just have to find another way.
- Spend an entire day indoors when I’m not sick. Sure, we have Netflix and Netflix just kinda demands binge-watching, the kind where you sit on the couch for hours and never go outside because it would be too hard to watch Netflix on your phone. And when I’m writing, I could sit in front of a computer and write all day. But it wears on me and I usually find that I’m most productive after a break anyway. Plus going outside means I might meet someone who inspires a new character or new plot twist. Almost everything else I do can be done outside so whether it’s raining or snowing or hot, I’ll try to spend at least a little time outside everyday if only because there’s always something new to see out there.
- Go long periods without doing anything creative. I once heard a pastor say We are most like God when we create things. I liked that. There are so many ways to express thoughts and ideas – writing prose, poetry, music, blogs, jokes, singing, drawing, sewing, painting, dancing. I can (and should) do something different every day.
- Not have a plan. Spontaneity is good but if there is no plan, how do you know what you want? How do you know what you’re working towards? This is a lesson I’ve learned the hard way and a lesson I need to move on from. Life doesn’t have to be rigid but it demands some structure – at least my life does. I plan to always have a plan 🙂
Of course I could mess up. One day, I might wake up without a meal plan and get so hangry that I say mean things to my friend after which I’ll feel so bad, I’ll binge on so much candy that my stomach hurts so bad that I can’t focus to write or do anything creative and all I do instead is curl up in bed and watch Friends on Netflix all day long without ever going outside. It could happen. But I’m not planning on it!
Want to share your I’LL NEVERs?