Megan announced the details for the Summer Reading Challenge and I’m doing it. It’s a great little challenge that runs from May 1st to August 31st. The categories are:
- 5 points: Freebie! Read any book that fits the general rules.
- 10 points: Read a book you have never heard of before. (Just go to a shelf and pick a book based on the cover, the title, whatever you want!)
- 10 points: Read a book that has been on your TBR list for at least two years.
- 10 points: Read a book that won a Goodreads “Best Book” award in 2014.
- 15 points: Read a book by an author who is completely new to you. Completed 5/5/15: Overexposed by Susan Shapiro. 308 pages. 3/5 stars.
- 15 points: Read a book by an author you have read before. (No re-reads for this one.)
- 15 points: Read a book with “light” or “dark” in the title.
- 20 points: Read a book with the name of a city, state or country in the title.
- 20 points: Read a book with an animal on the cover.
- 25 points: Read a book that is part of a series with at least four books.
- 25 points: Read a book that is longer than 500 pages long.
- 30 points: Read a book with an alliterative title. (All words in the title must begin with the same letter; no exceptions for articles or prepositions)
Reading 12 books in 4 months is not really a challenge for me since I am doing a separate challenge for 2015 that has me reading at least a book each week. The challenge is to make them all books over 200 pages (lots of novels are shorter) and also to find books that fit these categories.
But the benefit of having these categories is to force me to try books I might not otherwise read, for example, I am not really big into series books these days, although there were lots of those in my childhood – Nancy Drew, Sweet Valley Twins, anyone?
Will you consider doing this or another summer reading challenge? Suppose I started a challenge of my own. How likely would you be to sign up?
Wednesday – Bookishly Boisterous, Centerpiece Wednesday, Wow Us Wednesday, Before and After Wednesday, Bloom Designs, Empty Your Archive, Creative Muster, Project Parade, Inspired2, Whimsy Wednesday, Wordless Wednesday