5 Thoughts

Today I’m thinking out loud about:

1. Money: the famous Picasso painting that got sold for $179.4 million dollars…

Well forgot about it being sold. Think about it being bought. Someone had $175 million to spare? I don’t know what I would do if I ever had that kind of money but I probably wouldn’t spend it all in one place. I mean, what do you do with expensive art? Do you put it in a museum for others to look at? Or do you put it your house for you and your family to admire? And if so, do you ever forget that it’s worth so much and  gloss over it like its just any regular piece of art.

Do you buy it hoping it will appreciate in value and you can sell it for a profit in a few years? How much more could it be worth in the future? Couldn’t you invest that kind of money in another project that would give better yield?

Lots of questions. I have no answers.

2. Train accidents: you’ve heard about the Amtrak derailment on Tuesday night.

8 people so far have died, 200+ injured, some critically. The train was going more than double the speed limit… And yesterday, the engineer said he doesn’t remember what happened. Unless he has amnesia, how is that possible? But whether we choose to focus on him (which the authorities will), I am very saddened by the losses.

The statistics now says people are 5 times more likely to be victims of train crashes than plan crashes. Scary stats.

3. Exercise: Morning workouts are truly the best. I get up early, get some cardio in, I feel energized. But honestly, by the mid morning, I am seriously needing a nap.

4. Food: I’ve been having a craving for some chocolate all week and… I haven’t indulged. Seriously proud of myself and considering celebrating … With chocolate.

5. Biking: I’m thinking about biking while watching the Today show (big fan) and this week, there will be a lot of people commuting to work on two wheels to celebrate National Bike to Work Day.

I’m getting my bike ready to start my outdoor season this Sunday. Meanwhile, Matt Lauer will be doing a 230 mile bike ride for charity. Way to make everyone feel like an underachiever, Matt! 😀

5 photos from this week:

Times Square subway station

This might or might not be my new dream car

If you’re going to read two books at a time, you need to take notes

After the run selfie in front of a mural in Harlem

People-watching in Central Park

What’s on your mind today?

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

1. Oh that train wreck was awful! And that Art, I can’t even wrap my head around why people spend that much on art. And who really thinks it’s actually worth that much???

I’m still reading the news trying to find out who bought the painting?

2. Shaunacey says:

I didn’t hear about that train accident… I’ve never actually been on a train. Looks like I won’t be getting on one anytime soon.
    Agree about the painting, it’s insane to think someone has that much to spare on a painting

It’s a really bad accident. It might be one of those that causes some changes in the way Amtrak does things.
      I really want to know who bought the painting. 😀

3. jillconyers says:

Morning workouts are absolutely the best! It starts my day feeling wonderful and ready to take on the world.

True. The trick is to keep the energy level high 😀

4. Katie says:

Oh…too be rich!! And I really like your five photos from the week!

Thanks, Katie. Wouldn’t it be cool to be rich and buy anything you want? I still wouldn’t pay $178 mil for a painting though

5. Carrie says:

Fun post to read. Love the concept!

Thanks Carrie.

6. Kay R. says:

I wish I had that money to spare and if I did I prob wouldt spend it on a painting (though I truly understand art lovers doing it). That train accident was also so sad. Sigh

I wonder though. Is that an expression of true art love? I am still hoping to hear who bought it and why.

7. It’s so sad to hear about the train wreck! A coworker and I talked about it because we took the Amtrak when we went to Montana in March/April.

I always imagine the people who spend that kind of money on paintings and things like that to be people who have enough that they’re financially stable for years and years to come, their family is financially stable, and they’re people who generously give their money–more than I can even fathom–to charities. I think more often than not the people who have that kind of money know how to be good stewards of it and know how blessed they are. Maybe this is an optimistic view on the world, but I tend to be rather cynical (not in a bad way, I just recognize the sinful human nature that everyone fights). Also, my guess is they tend to loan those paintings out to museums. I’d be too worried to have something that valuable in my house!

But I could be completely wrong! 🙂

8. taranpc says:

I don’t even like Picasso’s stuff… maybe I’m not cultured enough, but it doesn’t make sense to me.

Sad on the train derailment.