10 Day Sugar Detox – Day One

It’s a good idea to eliminate added sugars from your diet completely but if you’re like me, that’s an option you might not even want to consider. But every now and then, a sugar detox is a good idea. Yesterday, the folks on NBC’s Today Show started a 10 day sugar detox and I’ve decided to join them.

I’ve done a more restrictive sugar detox before (click here for more details on that plan) but the NBC version is simple – no added sugar. So natural sugars in fruits are okay. But honey is not. Artificial sweeteners are not.

I could totally do it. Yesterday was day one. I was so good… Well, mostly good. I turned down an offer for an icy on the street (refreshing, especially when it’s as hot out as it was yesterday but actually it wasn’t so hard to say no to), I skipped the red velvet flavored milkshake my student wanted to buy me before a tutoring session (that offer was harder to decline) and guzzled down bottles of iced water instead.

Breakfast:

Lunchtime snack.

Late lunch a.k.a. Salad #1

Dinner a.k.a. Salad #2

Day Two is another opportunity to do it even better.

Have you done a sugar detox? What was your experience like?

Click to read Day 1, Day 2 and Day 3 of last year’s sugar detox

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter.

Shared on WIAWOrganized 31Between Naps on the PorchFrom My Front Porch to YoursAll Things With PurposeA Delightsome LifeBe.YOU.tifulPin it ThursdayThinking Out Loud, Treat Yo’Self Thursday

1. Good for you (and good luck!).
    I did a sugar detox once, for three days, and it was way harder than I thought it would be! I see a lot of people are doing one this year. It’s great (tough, but great). 🙂

Some of the programs are really restrictive – like the one I tried last year which was to give up even sweet fruits and starchy vegetables like potatoes. That DID not work for me. But avoiding added sugar is easier.

2. Chatter says:

I am uncertain if I could ever do a sugar detox. Interested to learn more as I will entertain all ideas. Your off to a great start, it should get easier each day.

Thanks Chatter. That’s what I’m hoping!

3. I’ve given up sugar before, and honestly? I wasn’t overly impressed with the results. I have a huge sweet tooth and find that I need that little bit of processed sugar in my diet to satisfy it, otherwise I end up eating 100 other things trying to satisfy the craving and never really hitting it.

Trust me that I know the feeling. I’ll let you know how I fare with replacing watermelon skittles with watermelon chunks 😀

4. Julia says:

Oooo that would be a tough one for me, I have SUCH a sweet tooth!

This version is possible. No added sugar. No artificial sweeteners. 10 days of using fruits to satisfy the sweet tooth. I’ve done it before. It’s all in the momentum – if you can get through day 1 and day 2, the other 8 days will be a breeze.

5. Anne Skyvington says:

It gets easier as you “mature”, coz you are weaned off the taste to a great extent, and you can just cut out on the gross stuff. I try to think “healthy”, even if there’s a bit of sugar involved. Keep it up!

Thank you, Anne. You’re so right. It did get a lot easier as the days went by. After a while, full sugar drinks make you ask yourself, “how could I ever drink that again?”
      I love the bit about thinking healthy