10 Day Sugar Detox Day 2

Embarking on a successful sugar detox is all about attitude and momentum. I cleared my fridge of all the sugary stuff a couple days ago but last night I lay awake for a while wishing I had just one cup of juice… Or soda. 😛 I got a few ice cubes and closed my eyes to pretend they were Popsicles. The struggle is real. And that was just day 1.

But by day 2, I woke up early, feeling energized. I convinced myself to stay inside until it was light outside and I got a 2.5 mile run in, complete with some stair jumping in the park.

Breakfast was an omelette on a white roll. I don’t think there’s any sugar in this bread but it’s the last of it so if it’s a cheat item, it won’t matter ’cause there’s no more of it.

I packed a couple bananas for snacks

Lunch was a delicious salad with poached chicken, shaved carrots, mushroom, artichoke hearts, tomatoes atop mixed greens. I found a natural salad dressing that has no sugar, no artificial sweeteners.

Dinner

And water. Lots and lots of water. Cold water if possible.

5 things keeping me motivated today:

1. This New York Times article promoting diet, not just exercise, as a weight loss tool (they’re both important but it’s really hard to exercise away bad food choices)

2. A new blog I’m following about one woman’s transformation to reach her goal weight.

3. This book called Sugar Crush that a friend recommended to me a couple weeks ago but that I didn’t feel ready to read back then.

4. Going back to read this blog post

5. This cartoon

What’s on your list of favorites today? What’s the best thing you’re eating today?

Shared with 5 Things Friday, Friday Five, Diary of a Real Housewife, September Farm, Meet @ The Barre, XOXO Rebecca

1. teamlondonrants says:

Plantains are so amazing. I love the flavour and the taste. I eat them with almost every meal. Corn on the cobb is everywhere at the moment in the UK. Every super market, street market and who doesn’t like corn.

Ooh yes. A good corn in the cob is perfect food for a summer evening. And sweet plantains are helping me indulge my sweet tooth naturally. That’s my plan 😀

2. I’m overhauling my diet as well, now that I’m taking a break from race training for about six weeks. I’m going to focus on micronutrient-filled foods – eating lots and LOTS of veggies and fruits. Although I eat healthy for the most part, I still eat out way too much and my choices are rarely healthy. I can’t seem to resist craft brews and french fries. 😦 These things should be an occasional treat, not an every weekend occurance! I’m going to commit to doing this for six weeks to see how I feel and if it makes a difference in my running and just fitness in general.
    Good luck with the sugar detox!

Thank you. French fries are my personal favorite. But you’re right – if I eat it all the time, it’s not a treat. All the best with your plan too.

3. Kelsey says:

I’m sure cutting sugar out is really difficult. Good luck!
    Kelsey

Thanks, Kelsey. I am taking it one meal at a time and trying to make sure I always have better alternatives on hand.

4. I gave up added sugar about a month ago, and (aside from cocktails with friends one night) I’ve kept it up! The initial hump is hard, but after that you will feel so much better. Keep it up 🙂

That’s great, Emma. And you’re right. When the momentum starts rolling, it gets easier to just roll with it. Thanks for the encouragement.

5. Way to go on that commitment. I’m sure that it is not easy but so far you are doing a great job. Goodluck on completing the challenge.