Camp Fun

I spent the weekend camping. By itself, that’s not strange because I lead a group of kids and take them camping pretty frequently throughout the summer months – we’ve already done two weekend trips since April. But this camp is different. This is the camp where we train leaders and I look forward to it because I get to spend time outdoors, practice my survival skills without being responsible for children. I don’t have to plan their meals, just my own. I don’t have to pack for a whole contingent, I can just pack my own backpack with my own essentials and go. I love camping with the kids but this weekend training session with the older campers is usually my favorite of the year and this last weekend didn’t disappoint.

I went to a new place

I learned to identify some new wild edible plants.

I made some new friends.

I got a couple of short hikes in

I saw some stars

I got some strange insect bites. Turns out no repellent is 100% effective, especially when you forget to reapply it.

My group cooked on the open fire….

… lashed wood together to make furniture…

… made a rope bridge they could walk across…

…and generally had Big Fun!

My goals this week:

1. Get back to my writing. I have to write at least 15K words this week to get back on schedule.
  2. Start planning the next camping trip. This upcoming one is a big camporee for the kids in a few weeks and will require planning meals, transportation, registering for activities, packing tons of equipment, ensuring the kids and their parents know what to be prepared for.
  3. Exercise everyday even though it’s 93 degrees today and hot and humid most of the week. If I can get a few swim sessions in, and walk a minimum of 5 miles everyday, I’ll be happy.

What was the best part of your weekend? What do you have planned for this week ahead?

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

Shared with – Monday FundayMonday BloomInspiration MondayIn and Out of the Kitchen – Feeding BigMet Monday – Between Naps on the PorchFrugal Crafty HomeMake it Pretty MondayTDC Before and After, Inspire Me MondayMunching MondaysCreate-Link-InspireMade By You, B Loved BostonBella and The CityMonday Madness, Manic MondayWeekly GoalsSocial Media SaturdayRunning N Reading

1. Oh, that’s a lot of nature!!!!

Looks like you had a great time!

I did! It was a great experience. I love nature even when it bites (literally).

2. I’m not one to enjoy camping but this looks like so much fun! It must be great to get out in nature and enjoy the quiet. Happy Monday!

Thanks. It was a fantastic weekend and now I’m looking forward to the next camping trip.
      Happy Monday to you also

3. The best part of my weekend was picking my daughter up from a week-long residential college program, and this week we are preparing to send her to a 4 day residential volleyball camp. Looks like you had a blast camping…it inspires me to (maybe) give it a try! Have a great day!

Sounds like your daughter is having a busy summer. I am all about that. Doing different things in sequence leaves time to focus on each thing but also makes for a well-rounded student.
      You should definitely take a camping trip. Even just an overnight car-camping excursion, see what’s it’s like knowing you can escape if you need to. I hope you have a great day also

4. Darcy says:

This looks like such a fun weekend! I always loving camping and just spending time outdoors!

Thanks, Darcy. We have common interests. Off to check out your blog now.

5. Julia says:

Wow that is impressive, so cool that you got to truly “rough it” and learn some new skills!

I did. I really enjoy it!

6. Going to the pool this week is a great idea- so humid!

Yup. 93 degrees in the shade today. The pool is the only place to be

7. Oh, my gosh! What fun! Y’all look like pros out there!

Thank you. That comes from doing it often, I guess.

8. Jordyn says:

Wow, your camp sounds like the best experience. I haven’t been to a camp since I was in high school and I honestly miss it (minus the bug bites of course). Your goals for this week are great-inspiring me to go on a run (;

It’s always a good time to start camping again 😀

9. Ashley says:

So fun! It’s great your learning new skills to teach the kids! Thanks for linking up this week.

~Ashley @ A Cute Angle
    acutelifestyle.blogspot.com

Yup. I’m all about the continuous learning. As I’m teaching them, I’m learning too. We should never stop learning

10. Looks like a good way to spend a weekend!

It was!!! I have another camp next month and I’m looking forward to it just as much.

11. Kay R. says:

Yay for camping. I have never really legit camped. I went on church camps as a kid but never “sleep in the outdoors” kinda camping. Love this!

You should put it on your list of things to experience. Everyone doesn’t love it but you never know if you try 😀