Dress for Success

A couple years ago, Psychology Today published an article that implied that women judge men’s attractiveness based on their clothes while men judge women’s attractiveness on their physique. PT’s conclusion: clothes makes the man, not necessarily the woman.

That being said, I’m not taking any chances. Dressing for success is not just about how attractive people consider you to be. Clothes affects your mood, impacts how comfortable you are in different situations, and makes it appropriate for you to engage in certain activities. And that’s just how you feel about your clothes. There’s a whole set of considerations for how people relate to you based on how you’re dressed.

Last week, I started an outfit planner where I organized my outfits for the week ahead so I could put more thought into it on one day And free myself from having to make some of those decisions during the busier part of the week.

Successes of the outfit plan:

1. It definitely saved me some time in the mornings. Not having to think about my clothes and wonder if part of the outfit I wanted was clean, was a major win.
  2. When j was organizing, I chose some things I don’t wear often, mainly because it’s not easy to find matching pieces in a rush but giving myself time to plan an outfit meant I could look for the coordinating items.

Struggles:

1. I didn’t wear a couple of the outfits I chose. One morning, it was too warm for any of the outfits I had laid out so I went with a completely different plan.
  2. Some of the plans I had made for the week got changed mid-stride so outfits appropriate for those days also had to be adjusted accordingly. I realized I either had to prepare a couple backup outfits or make my outfits a little more versatile.

Pics from last week:

A warm summer evening in the park to start the week off right.

I’m not sure why there’s china in the cabinets at Starbucks but it makes an interesting background for a selfie or several.
 I’m not sure why people are ordering warm beverages in 90+ temperature, but according to the sign in Starbucks, Fall is almost here.

So call it peer pressure but I opted for one of those hot cups too and it was oddly refreshing on a warm afternoon.

Friday afternoon, hanging out in the city.

Saturday afternoon, at church, I lost the hat and let the fro-hawk just happen. It felt fun and freeing.

Other things that happened this weekend:

Usain Bolt is still the fastest man alive. I’m so proud of him and proud to be Jamaican… Now if only I could run as fast as him.

But nah… so my short (much slower) run on Sunday morning called for a selfie on 125th Street

It took me until 11:54 at night but I finally reached my Nike Fuel goal on Sunday.

This week, I’m preparing for success again and I’m dressing for it.
On Monday, I have a lunch meeting that I’m really looking forward to. The first time I wore this blouse, someone else wore an identical outfit. It’s been a couple years so hopefully I’m the only one wearing it now.

Tuesday, the forecast for rain and I want to be able to wear my rain boots if necessary. A black lace blouse and jeans will go nicely with my purple galoshes. I plan to spend most of the day indoors catching up on my writing but you never know what interesting motivation you can find out in the rain.

Wednesday evening, if I can, I’ll go to church for the prayer meeting -a skirt appropriate event.

Thursday is another opportunity to wear a blouse I don’t think I’ve worn in over a year, mainly because it’s so light and flimsy, I always forget about it until after the warm weather is gone.

Friday is always time to celebrate. And I celebrate with some of my favorite colors – shades of purple and lavender. On the 4th Friday, the youth group meets and this will make the transition from day to evening quite well.

Same goes for Saturday. If church is casual, I’ll wear this dress. If it’s not, there will be time to choose a suit for the service and I can wear this for the evening.

On Sunday, we have our church picnic in the park.

Other goals I have this week:

1. Finish my writing project if I can find the 30K words I need to complete it.
  2. Find an agent for my novel (this is an ongoing goal)
  3. Run total 28 miles – average 4 miles per day.
  4. Visit some sick/shut-in church members.

What was your best accomplishment last week?

What are you most looking forward to this week?

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

1. Shaurya says:

Nice article! Loved it

Check out my outfit at

2. Kay R. says:

Love the white jacket and the grey jacket and olive shirt. Its safe to say you know how to dress for success. PS great goals for the week 🙂

Thanks, lady. I’m digging in the closet and picking out things I haven’t worn in eons or haven’t put together before. It’s fun!
      I hope you have a wonderfully productive week.

3. Cute outfits!

Since I don’t work, I just go with pretty much whatever I want every day. But not shlumpy. At least not too often. Although sometimes in the winter I might be in a bathrobe all day . . . .

Looking forward to a more relaxed week this week!

4. trish says:

I’m one of those people ordering warm beverages in 90 degree weather lol. I also order soup! I’m crazy I guess lol.

Trish – tales from trish

Hey. Your comment ended up in my Spam folder so sorry I’m just seeing. I actually made some soup on one of the hottest days last week. It was delicious and it felt good to sweat because of the hot food. maybe we’re both crazy 🙂

5. Rebecca Royy says:

Nice post. I totally agree that dressing nicely is an important component to self confidence! It’s a lesson that I’d forgotten until recently. Now that my kids are older, and I run first thing in the morning, I have a lot of extra evening time. So I went out and got a P/T second job at my favorite clothing store. The pay is almost negligible…but oh the clothing discounts!! You should see how fast and vastly my wardrobe (and self confidence) has improved!

Great story, Rebecca. One of my favorite jobs in college was when I worked at a clothing store too. Employee discounts meant that a lot of my pay check went to clothes but I never regretted a purchase. Getting dressed up makes me feel better and do better and relate better. I’ll take that every time. I’ll be checking your social media to see some of those new wardrobe additions. 😀

I tried to check out your WordPress but the link doesn’t work.

1. Rebecca Royy says:

Its weird…some other people have said that too. But then it works fine after a bit

Are you on Twitter? Or Instagram? Does it link to your page?

6. Darcy says:

interesting that women judge first off clothes but men do off appearance. I wouldn’t have thought that!

I believe it from my own experience. I think I relate to a man in a suit like he’s a a more powerful person. But I would have thought men did the same so the article was very interesting to me too.

7. HoHo Runs says:

I’m so impressed by your organization! Great outfits. Those are the cutest rain boots! We don’t have to dress professional at our office any longer. It’s more of a business casual and since we really don’t interact with the public…it’s gotten extra casual. I love that hat you are running in! Enjoy your week and thanks so much for linking up with us!

Thank you so much! The hat is from Express. I’ve have it for years and it’s falling apart but I love it!
      Some of my days are really casual too but I really like clothes and I enjoy getting dressed up.

8. Great post! Would love you to come and add this post to my weekly link up if you get a chance 🙂 http://bit.ly/1Puw3jt

Thanks for the invitation. I will.