5 Reasons To Run Slowly

Who says speed is everything? Sometimes fast is great. But not always. Sometimes fast is good and slow is better.

Here are my top 5 reasons I think someone might want to follow me and run slowly.

5. Run slowly so you can take pictures of all the pretty things and all the pretty people you’re passing by. Bonus points if you can master the mid-stride running selfie.

4. Run slowly so you can take time to notice the other runners and high-five them as you pass in the opposite direction.

5 reasons to run slowly Source: Google images

3. Run slowly so you can hear the conversations of those you’re passing or the advice or the compliments people call out as you run by. They might be saying “don’t look now but a bear is chasing you” but if you’re running too fast, you might only hear the “look” part of the statement and you think they are saying. “You look great, girl!” That’s not the right time to mishear a statement.

2. Run slowly to preserve your energy for when you find out there is indeed a bear chasing you, you can speed up and sprint.

5 reasons to run slowly Source: Google images
In the real world, you might just want to be able to sprint when you see people you know and who you want to be impressed by your running abilities – you might want to conserve some energy for that.

1. The top reason you might want to Run slowly is… because it’s awesome to be outside, running free and if you like something, don’t you want to savor it and take time to enjoy it?

Are you a fast or slow runner? I’m the queen of the slow run. This morning, it took me almost 30 minutes to run 2.5 miles but I enjoyed every second of it and I’d do it all over again if I could.

Please click to share this post with a slow runner who could use a little encouragement.

Follow my adventures on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter.

1. Kevin says:

That’s the spirit. Just get out there, I say

Yes, sometimes that’s all it’s about! Thanks for the support, Kevin!

2. Chatter says:

In ultra circles i usually like to call myself the raging tortoise. That is how slow I am .

And that’s cool. Remember in every version of the story, the tortoise beat the hare.

3. jillconyers says:

My day always starts awesome. It’s the rest of the day that gets sketchy. Have an awesome weekend Karen!

4. I really love this! I have started to appreciate my long slow distance runs for this very reason. Also, you’re hysterical! 🙂

5. Love it! Running slower you can definitely enjoy the scenery!

6. I love reason number 5. You have no idea how slow my miles are when I pass Buckingham Palace of the Houses of Parliament- so many photos!!

Liked by 2 people

7. Rebecca Royy says:

SOOO hard to run fast first thing in the morning. I don’t care how slow I go though… It’s just great to be out.

Running first thing in the morning is ideal. Being in the fresh air is a wonderful energy boost and the early exercise sets the tone for the rest of the day but you’re right, sometimes it’s so hard to get started.

8. Jebbica says:

I’m so with you! But I’d still rather walk fast than run slowly (or at all), lol! Thanks for sharing at Food and Fitness Friday; I am going to feature this on tomorrow’s party!

Oh. Lol. Thanks so much, Jebbica!

9. Hahaha, this is so me! I love running, but I am super duper slow. This was hilarious and made me feel better about being slow! Thanks for the smile, and keep running! 🙂

Thanks, Meagan. Running makes you feel good and speed is a bonus, not a requirement, right? Keep on doing it! 😀

10. Heather says:

I walk almost as fast as I run. I’d like to learn to love running as much as walking but I’m not quite there yet.

And that’s ok. Enjoy what you do, Heather!