How To Outrun A Heatwave

The weather forecast this week is steamy. Oh joy! It may be the last of the real summer temperatures as we head into Labor Day this coming weekend. So there might be a heatwave going on but now is not the time to quit running. In order to reach my summer running goals, I need to clock 20 miles this week and that goal doesn’t change just cause Al Roker is calling it balmy.

It takes a couple minor adjustments to make the most of outdoor running in 90 degree weather:

1. The first tip, of course, is to avoid running when it’s actually 90+ degrees by heading out early morning or late evening. 8:00 am is the absolute latest I will start an outdoor run on days like today. If it’s later than that, I head to the gym instead. My best time to go running in the summer is about 6:30 a.m. It’s light outside. It’s quiet. People are just starting to spill out of their apartments. The city that never sleeps looks like it’s just been taking a small nap. My friend is training for a marathon and goes running at night instead. That carries with it other challenges so personally I don’t a lot of night running but it’s best to run in a safe space – wear light colored or reflective gear so you’re visible to others and if possible, clip a light to your hat or shirt.

2. Stay hydrated. Water before the run, during the run and after the run. When it’s warm like this, I walk to the park and only run on the park path where I am never more than a quarter mile from a water fountain. Otherwise, I carry a handheld or body-attached water bottle.

3. Stay cool. If it’s really steamy, I freeze my headband or bandana or hat before I go out. You’d be surprised how fast a piece of water-soaked fabric gets icy in the freezer.

Running coach, Jenny Hadfield shares a few more tips here

Running selfie from yesterday’s 2.5 miler.

Not my best look but… It is what it is. And running in a cotton t-shirt from when I volunteered for the Gran Fondo a couple years ago probably didn’t help me stay cool but I wanted to throw the shirt out so that was my last run in it before it hit the garbage can. But that’s another story for another time (maybe tomorrow)

What are your best tips to outrun a heatwave?

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter
Shared with – Inspire Me TuesdayThe ScoopThumbs Up TuesdayTip Tuesday

1. Marsha says:

I walk, but it can get very humid here so I too try to get my cardio done in the early morning.
    I’d be moving much slower any later in the day.

Agreed. After dealing with the heat all day, my energy level is often on the fritz. Better to get that exercise in the morning.

2. Julia says:

Totally agree with getting up early and getting out there before it’s scorching! It’s amazing how much harder it feels when it’s super hot out!

Personally, I don’t think I was meant to run in midday sun. When I walk pass a park at lunch time and see people running at 12:00, I don’t understand it. I just want to stop them and ask “why”

3. Rebecca Royy says:

Love getting the run in early too….but we start school so early here (beginning of August), I’ve already been dodging the school buses!

Oh dear. Kids going back to school in early August is still so strange for me. I always associate back to school with my birthday (this weekend)

Stay safe out there, Rebecca!

4. I am accustomed to warm weather since I come from Brazil, but still, one has to be extra careful when temperatures rise.
    Health comes first, and hydration is very important.
    Thanks a lot for sharing it on #TipTuesday!

Thanks, Debbie. Safety first, always!

5. This post will be featured on this week’s Tip Tuesday link party.
    Thank you for your contribution!

Thanks, Debbie! It’s so exciting to be featured!

6. Pingback: Tip Tuesday #17