Write It Down

I deleted more than 7,000 emails yesterday. For the first time in months, my inbox is under 40,000 and I am motivated to keep going. That’s the things about momentum – once you get into a rhythm, it gets easier. Click to read when I found out that exercise gets easier too.

I have a lot of goals this week, and they have to do with more lasting things than just getting my inbox to under 20K (although that is one of them)

Yesterday morning, really early, I went to one of my fav places and started planning out my week. It’s interesting what can be accomplished with a warm beverage in hand and a blank page in front of you.

Yesterday, I was telling one of the young people I am mentoring that she needs to have a notebook to write her thoughts in. We have note-taking abilities on our smartphone devices but the act of handwriting, I think, makes for a deeper connection and elicits more creativity. Do you agree?

Some of the items on my To-Do list:

1. Go back to the gym – 3 times this week
  2. Complete week 1 of a 3 week fitness challenge (details later)
  3. Run 3 times
  4. Get an editor for my recently-completed manuscript
  5. Work out details for a self-published book
  6. Keep writing – I have a short story outline that I want to flesh out and finish this week.
  7. Order supplies for a program next weekend
  8. Reach out to at least one old friend/relative everyday. I have a big family so this is an ongoing process. I started in January and I still haven’t reached everyone.(*sweating)
  9. Contact 2 potential Avon customers everyday. Visit my website here
  10. Tutor/coach 2 of my high school students
  11. Have Bible studies with 2 people (I don’t always mention it specifically on the blog but being a better, more faithful Christ-ian is my top, ongoing goal)
  12. Get my email inbox to less than 20,000 mails. Right now it’s like this:

But you’ll remember back in August when it was like this:

So those are some of the things I’m working on this week. Lots of balls in the air so I’m keeping some of these quotes close at hand to keep myself motivated:

• Hard work beats talent when talent doesn’t work hard.
  • Today is your day to start fresh, eat right, train hard, live healthy and be proud.

What’s the most important item on your calendar this week? How are you staying focused?

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter.

1. sfarnell says:

40,000 emails?!?!! My god you’re popular! I get in a fit and struggle to cope with 500 and have to go through and answer / weed. Good luck with your endeavours – I’m sure you’ll crack it like a boss! lol

I wish the emails were personal. Honestly, it’s a lot of junk, offers, blog notifications, Facebook updates, random stuff I just never deleted. When I check my email on my phone, I scroll through without actually deleting them. I had to unsubscribe from a lot of stuff. When k get it down to a manageable number, I’ll set aside some regular time to keep it clean. I just wonder, Isn’t email supposed to simplify my life??

1. sfarnell says:

It is supposed to simplify it, like many other things in life. What you need to to is create folders withing your inbox and then make some rules to sort them into the folders. It might even help with stuff that actually in your inbox. If you don’t know how I could help.

Haha. Thanks, Simon. The distressing part is that I do know how, I just haven’t been putting it into practice. You’re the best for offering though!

3. sfarnell says:

Haha, it’s all good 🙂
        I thought you probably knew how to anyway, I just asked.
        The funny thing is I’ve seen a cartoon of two guys pushing a cart with square wheels, another guy with some round wheels is trying to sell them to the guys with the cart, they don’t have time to listen.
        This kind of reminds me of that, how often have any of us spent ages doing things the hard way in earnest? I know I have 😀

Oh my! That sounds like a funny cartoon and I must admit, I have been like that in some situations. I’ll try to remember that though.

5. sfarnell says:

Ill se if i can find it and blog it

2. Good gravy that is a lot of emails. Once a long time ago a boss I had who believed in me sent me to a time management class. The number one thing I took out of that was touch it once. He was talking about keeping a desk clean but it works with email too. Read it. Deal with it or file it for later. Do not keep in in your inbox (or on your desk). So at the end of every day I go through and make sure that my emails are empty from the day. Other than junk mail – those auto sort out to some junk mail place where I never see them.

Oh my goodness that is so true. It’s the not knowing what to do with it and moving it around over and over that wastes time. Great tip, Amy. Thanks! I am going to have to make some real changes

3. Darcy says:

Oh my goodness that many emails is CRAZY! Good for you for tackling it! I’m sure it is a daunting task!

Thanks, Darcy. I am trying to keep focused and I got another 3K out of the inbox today.

4. Wow at those emails!!!! I think I would have a heart attack! Good luck with your goals this week and thanks for linking up!!!

Thanks, Mindy! The email situation was really out of control and ridiculous. I feel like an email- hoarder. I am just attacking it this week and I won’t stop until it is down to a normal, manageable size. All he best to you with your goals too. Thanks

5. Debra says:

Wow! I just thought I was bad about deleting e-mails. Good luck with that!

It was really terrible, I know but I made a serious dent in it this week. I am already below my goal number but I am going to keep going until I get a real handle on things. Thanks for the good thoughts, Debra. How are things going with your goals?