While You Were Sleeping

I have insomnia!

It’s not consistent but it’s reliable. Every so often, I go through a phase where I just can’t go to sleep. And while I’m up, I stay up and I enjoy every minute of it. Sometimes, it gets to the point where I wonder if I deliberately sabotage my own sleep patterns just so I can have more free time at night.

So what are the things I prefer doing instead of sleep? I’m glad you asked. This list of 5 is by no means exhaustive:

1. At night, I write poetry. Most of these nocturnal poems are really bad – so bad they will never be shared with anyone during daylight hours – but sometimes, I  express my thoughts best in rhyme. Over the years, I’ve also penned some really cool compositions and if I check my time stamps, none of them have ever been written before midnight…
  2. I watch videos.     I could watch an entire sitcom season on Hulu or Netflix between the hours of 10:00 and 4:30 am. And, 4:30 is a good time to be going to sleep, right?
  3. I read novels at night. Yeah, I have all these other ways to make time for reading but there’s something about waiting until there is quiet everywhere (or as quiet as it can be in Manhattan) and immersing yourself in a fictional world that someone created.
  4. iDream. So when you’re sleeping, dreams happen in the 4th sleep cycle – REM cycle. That happens after being out for about 90 minutes. Dreaming while you’re awake, however, can be achieved almost anytime. So why waste those 90 or so minutes of pre-sleep when you can just close your eyes and imagine the awesome life that you haven’t been able to achieve just get? Non-sleeping dreams can be just as delightful.
  5. I also make lists and plan all the awesome things I’ll do the next day. I’m not sure it’s logical to spend the night making a to-do list that I won’t have the energy to complete when I finally wake up in the morning but that’s what I do. But the capacity for rational thought isn’t really a characteristic of a sleep-deprived person.

Anyone else have trouble feeling sleepy sometimes? What do you do when you’re wide awake in the middle of the night?

Maybe you’d like to read about battling sleeplessness? How about some tips on what you can accomplish with little sleep?

Find more from me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

1. SleepOnIt says:

Reblogged this on sleepitoffblog.

2. SleepOnIt says:

This is great:) i know that feeling too well – you know you shouldn’t be awake at this hour but you sort of revel in the fact that no one else is awake:) check out our facebook page if you have the chance, we have lots of followers who suffer from insomnia too facebook.com/sleeponitorganisation

Thanks for the validation. It’s nice to know I’m not alone. I’ll definitely check out the page.

3. I had horrific insomnia when I first started uni! I hated it, as I’d then sleep in till 3 or 4pm and be completely screwed for the rest of the day. But damn I did read a lot!

Liked by 2 people

There’s always a negative and a positive and sometimes it’s hard to say whether you love or hate it more. I’m glad you got over the insomnia though. Regular sleep time is just healthier overall.

2. SleepOnIt says:

you’re definitely not alone there! haha. I’m at uni now and going through the same things. it’s terrible! but I get a lot of work done lol. Pippa if you get the chance you should check out the facebook page we set up facebook.com/sleeponitorganisation . Its trying to help uni students who are suffering the same fate 🙂

I saw your Facebook and I like it a lot – the tips and the funnies. I’m following your updates now!

4. Donna says:

I’m making a conscious effort to get into a good sleep routine. When I was in university I rarely went to bed before 3 a.m. but now I try to be in bed by 10 and asleep by 11!

Good for you, Donna. You’re right about the routine. It’s when I’m off my schedule that I can’t sleep. With this recent sleeplessness, I know it’s because I’ve been skipping the workouts as I try to make some deadlines.
      Thanks for sharing and I hope you’ll follow along. I’m off to check out your page too.

5. I get to sleep okay, but usually around 5 hours later there is a bathroom break, and I can’t get back to sleep. After a bit, I do get up. We don’t have a fast internet, but it is faster in the middle of the night, so often go online. Would love to be able to sleep through the night!
    ~Carl~

Good to hear from you, Carl. I get up for a bathroom break if I’ve been drinking too close to going to bed.(I often get way more than the recommended 8 glasses of water so it has to come out sometime)

6. I have this problem too sometimes… mostly because the later nights are really the only time where I feel like I have time to myself and can do things that I want to do without having to worry about working or being productive. Video games are my kryptonite.

… And Hulu and Netflix are mine. I start watching one episode and before you know it, I’m so far into the season I just have to know what happens next.
      What kind of games do you play?

7. Marsha says:

I have an actual sleep disorder so I have to be very vigilant about any changes. I am nocturnal though… I get a LOT done when everyone else is aslumber.

Gotcha, Marsha. Sorry if me chatting about my superficial insomnia is insensitive. I know there are lots of people who have a real difficult time going to sleep or staying asleep for one reason or another. Kudos to you for making the most of your night time hours.

1. Marsha says:

I am whatever the oppposite of a morning person is, regardless, lol.

8. I do at times suffer from insomnia. It seems to happen on Sunday nights or when I go back to work after a vacation. It’s hard to calm the mind and shut down. I find meditation helps.

I know what you mean, T. It’s the lack of a regular routine that does this to me. I just have to get better at sticking to a regular schedule.

1. That is exactly it. Being out of the regularly scheduled program. Lol!

9. Mummy Wright says:

The night just gives me an extended day. When I can’t sleep I just read some more, and more. Don’t worry about it, sleep will come and while waiting for the sleep have fun.
    Karen, the apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, and I can truthfully say lack of sleep has not hindered me one bit.

My mummy, my hero… Yeah, I know you barely sleep. I don’t know how you do it but it doesn’t hinder you so I guess I won’t worry about it. Thanks for always reassuring me, Mom!

Extended day… I am still smiling about that 😀

10. It really sucks to have insomnia – I only would ever have it if I worry too much or feeling at the bottom of the pits. So tired that you can’t sleep. These days, I’m just not getting enough…if I;m awake in the middle of the night, my phone is the first thing I check. Otherwise, it’s the antihistamine! :p

The phone is the number one thing I reach for at night too. Why do we do this to ourselves?