Back To The Future

When I’m old and gray,

An over-inflated ball stuffed inside my shirt and pockets under my chin,

Can I count on you

To ride the subway with me,

Chatting in our native language

Scratching ourselves and spitting to others’ utter chagrin,

Will you accompany me to appointments

I could handle over the phone

Offer sweets to some children

And grimace at others –

A lottery decided only by our whim,

Will you promise not to die a young man,

Do you promise not to leave me alone

If I have to take the train without you,

I just might never leave home.

But, oh, the adventures we could have together

The places we could get into for half-price or free

I have a map and a bucket list with push-pins to mark it.

In thirty years or so, you’ll see.

This poem was written in response to this week’s Write or Die prompt, Loneliness. I saw these two men on the train and I just wondered how lonely either of them might have been if their friend hadn’t survived for them to share this part of their lives together. That must be what real loneliness is – when the people who’ve known you all your life and shared your memories with, are gone.
Be nice to an older person today! You never know what they are dealing with.

Shared with Amanda

1. Suzy says:

And the nuclear family has made this even more prominent. Nice poem.
    Dropping by from the WODW linkup

Thanks so much, Suzy. I’ll be sure to visit your blog too.

2. maryintheboondocks says:

So sweet, and right to the point. Thank you for sharing. I have spent half of my youth in those subways. What a very original point of view. If you will allow me, I’m going to teach you a greek word today (because a lot of english words spring from greek). It is Prototupi. And what it means is Proto – First, and Tupi – is type. Easy enough. Actually the english version is prototype but we use it to mean something different. When we want to say that something is original we use this word. So that is what your blog is to me. The first of it’s kind, an original.

Oh Mary, it’s 7:50 am and you’ve already made my day! THANK YOU! That’s the sweetest comment I could have hoped for. I am a Prototupi! Wow! I am touched by your words. thank you!
      God bless you today and always.

3. Ahhh…I love this! I am a people watcher too, and I make these whole scenarios or series of questions just from looking at strangers’ interactions.

I hope I have my husband or at least a friend to experience the golden years with. I always tell my hubby I can’t wait until we get to the age where we can both flirt with the opposite sex and consider it “cute” as opposed to a reason to want to suffocate one another with a pillow at night. Hahaha πŸ™‚

Haha. Great to hear from you again, Shelly! It’s been a while.
      You and your hubby sound so cute.

4. This is really sweet! I actually thought something similar today when I was at the doctor waiting. I go to a Rheumatologist, and all the patients are elderly (except me lol), and they were all talking to me. I got the feeling they didn’t get to talk to people much and felt so bad for them! Thanks for stopping by my bog today and following me! Following you back πŸ™‚

Interacting with older people can be so fun and useful – they give great advice based on their experiences, not just what they think. But also, they can help you see what’s important in the long run, not just what feels important right now.
      Thanks for following, Alexis. I look forward to our interaction. I’m a chemistry buff too – Chemical Engineering – and I love finding ways to integrate my science background into other aspects of my life so finding your blog was a treat.

1. That is so neat you are a chemical engineer! I love interacting with other science lovers (nerds πŸ˜‰ ) like me! I am so glad you found my blog too!

Yeah!! Sometime over the weekend, I will make some time to just go through more of your blog posts. I’m excited about the science stuff I will find that I connect with πŸ˜€

3. I hope you enjoy it! I go into some science stuff for chocolate nutrition, cold brew coffee and some other favorites! Let me know what you think πŸ™‚ Have a great night!

5. Mia Sutton says:

Beautiful poem, Karen! Friendship, true friendship, is always a great cure for loneliness. The memories we make can be cherished together for a lifetime! I think this is why the end of a friendship hurts us so much. Thanks so much for linking up with us for WODW! πŸ™‚

Thanks for hosting, Mia. I miss it when I don’t join so thanks for posting great prompts.
      I’ve had some great friendships over the years that I hope will last until we’re that age and older too.

6. Nortina S. says:

Great poem! I hope my friendships can withstand time like this. I love watching old people and how they interact with each other. My granddad and his sisters are HILARIOUS! They love each other, but they also annoy the hell out of each other too. That’s all I want out of a relationship. Haha! πŸ˜€

You’re right, Nortina. That’s the dream. Someone to share love and irritation.πŸ˜€