Design and Do

I’m great at making goals, but not so great at achieving them.

Last week you’ll remember I set a lot of goals, some of which were really not goals but wishes because they’re not actions I can control. Like saying I want to increase my Instagram following is not a goal because I can’t make people follow me.

Looking back at my list of 13 goals last week, I can honestly say I only fully accomplished 2 and made some headway on 3 others – that’s less than 40 percent achievement. Would that be okay for you? Would that be satisfactory performance at a job?  Absolutely not! I’d probably get fired if I was accomplishing at that level at work. It’s not acceptable for my life plan either so I’ve decided to do something about it.

Yesterday, I started Day 1 of the Intentional Living course again (I’m reading Intentional Living: Choosing a Life That Matters as an accompaniment). I started last week – I watched the videos in the evening and thought about but didn’t really complete the assignment. This time, I’m doing it different – I’m doing the course first thing in the morning after my morning worship – planning what I will accomplish that day and being intentional with my actions.

Sometimes, you have to regroup and make a different plan of attack. Sometimes you have to do it several times until you find the plan that works for your life. But as I read in another book I am reviewing later this week (called Design the Life You Love), your life is your most important project. So if something doesn’t work, you don’t quit, you don’t throw in the towel and give up, you don’t get fired from managing your life, so you try something else and a thousand something-elses if necessary, and you keep trying until you get the results you want.Right?

Last week, my proudest accomplishments were:

• Going to visit a man from my church who’s been ill for some time. When we got to his house, he was putting on a brave face but after we had been there for a while, he was smiling and jolly and he kept hugging us and telling us how happy he was that we had come to visit. I really need to visit people more.
  • Spending intentional time with some of my young people. Over the last few weeks, I have been trying to schedule time to just talk with my kids, ask them what they’re dealing with and try to help motivate them to get the life they want.
  • I found someone’s jacket and I didn’t just leave it, hoping he got it back somehow. Instead, I went out of my way to arrange to get it back to him. Sometimes, it’s not easy to do the right thing or the nice thing or the good thing – it’s definitely not as easy as doing nothing. But even if doing good isn’t easy, it should always be the aim.

So now that I’ve acknowledged what I did last week, this coming week I’ll focus on:

Writing:

2. Plan an Avon event
  3. Make 20 new blog friends – network

Personal:

1. Spend my best minutes in worship
  2. Complete Week 1 of Intentional Living course
  3. Be intentional with spending quality time with my friends and family

How did you do with your goals last week? Are you making any changes with how you attack your agenda this week?

What are you reading to keep you motivated?

Find me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

1. I love this post! Yes! Don’t ever quit! And if you don’t succeed at first keep going after it!

Thanks for the encouragement, Mindy!

2. Maggie O. says:

Great plan! This week I need to set aside more time for my creative projects, and I want to spend more quality time with family and friends.

I hope you also achieve your goals, Maggie. Be intentional about planning and following up.

1. Maggie O. says:

Definitely. Intention is critical to success.

Or as John Maxwell says, we have to turn good intentions into intentional living to make them count.

3. Maggie O. says:

Oof, that hit me right in the truth bone today.

Haha. Just know that it ricochet off me to hit you.

3. maryintheboondocks says:

I think that whatever you get done is good. Sometimes things don’t work out our way. I have an idea which is what I think you are doing anyway. Take a goal and break it down into bite size pieces.. make it more doable. That way you will be able to move forward. Like if you want to paint something you must organize your supplies first, etc. I like that you have broken down your goals into catagories. That’s a great idea.
    What class are you teaching…so exciting!!
    As for one of your goals, I think I can help there. I uploaded the Award nomination on my blog so if you go and communicate with some the nominees they will definitely become your friends. Some of them are rock stars but others are very down to earth. 🙂

Thanks again for that nomination, Mary. I
      didn’t get to it yesterday but I will make
      time for it today.
      I teach a youth leadership course through my church. I did it the last 3 years and this upcoming year, I plan to change some things around to incorporate some of the lessons I’ve learned over the years.

4. This is exactly what I love to see – setting clear goals and going after them. You can do them and publishing them here helps with accountability!

Thanks. I have them broken up into daily goals and now that I am working more intentionally toward them, I had a much better achievement rate on yesterday’s to- do list. It’s really a process and I appreciate the support

1. Keep up the good work!

5. Great post you have some great, very clear goals and the first part of reaching them is to well put them out there! Looks like your well on your way to knowing what you want and how to obtain it! This is a great idea I need to take a look at my goals. I’m so glad you linked this up with us.

Thanks for your comment, Tricia.
      Check out the Intentional Living site I linked in today’s post for more resources to help you with goal evaluation. https://runwright.net/2015/10/27/sometimes-you-can-get-the-milk-free/

6. Patrice says:

I love how transparent you are – you not only share the highs but you also share the “not so great parts”. You are such an inspiration to me.

It’s difficult to get out there and say this. Thank you for being honest.

Liked by 2 people

Thanks, Patrice. I appreciate you and everyone else who reads and encourages me. I’ve found out that if I’m facing a challenge, chances are someone else is having a similar experience and sometimes it helps just to know we’re not alone. And we can all use whatever help someone can offer.

7. I just started linking up for the weekly chase! I love your take on things! I’ve had troubles with goal setting because I usually falter and then become really discouraged and just give up! But I love your positive mindset towards goals. That if something isn’t working we just have to change our plan of attack! That’s something I recently realized and have been keeping in mind which has really helped me stay consistent in my efforts towards whatever I am aiming for even though my methods vary!

Also thanks for the book recommendations! Adding them to my list of to reads!

Thanks for the thoughtful comment, Caroline. I really appreciate your visiting and taking the time to read.
      I am really interested in goals and living intentionally. In the past, I haven’t been so good with making plans and keeping them, I haven’t always had a vision of where I wanted to go so where I was and what was happening to me often surprised me.
      Change is a long process but it’s worth our time and energy and the same method and timeline doesn’t work for everyone. So I say find the thing that works for you and work consistently until you reach your goals.
      I’ll be checking out your page now too Caroline. Maybe we can follow and encourage each other.

8. I don’t have the habit of writing my weekly goals. I probably should mainly with the recent changes in my life so that I can stay focused. But all in all, I managed to crossed all my to-dos and that is a victory already.
    Thank you so much for adding it to #tiptuesday.

Thanks for hosting and reading, Debbie. I really appreciate your taking the time to check out all my posts.
      Everyone doesn’t need the same reminders or the same motivation tools so whatever works for you is the right one. Keep doing what you’re doing if you’re doing well. Have a great day, Debbie.

9. Those are great plans. I have to check out that course.

Thanks for the comment, Amy. I hope you do check out the Intentional Living course – Click the link to a 7 day free trial on this post: https://runwright.net/2015/10/27/sometimes-you-can-get-the-milk-free/

10. Debra says:

Sounds like a neat program! Those are all great goals! I’m sure you’ll accomplish them!

Thank you so much for the encouragement, Debra. I really appreciate your positive words. I will visit you also and hope to spread some words of blog love to you also 😀

11. Sonya K says:

I love your goals☺ I just followed you on Instagram. I saw your pic with the person with both legs tattooed and I could never imagine having anything like that on my legs. But I’m sure they have a good reason.

I’m big on eating a salad everyday too. So much so that I just started having 5 day salad challenges on Facebook to encourage others to eat a salad everyday . I’m having another salad challenge that starts on 11/9. If you are interested in joining the salad challlenge you can email me at s.kendall@att.net.

Thanks for reaching out and for the follow, Sonya. I love challenges and I’ve never been part of a salad challenge so yes, I would love to try. I’ll check out your page.
      Thanks for the support!

1. Sonya K says:

Yay!!! I’m glad you are up for the challenge and I’m so happy that you will be joining us 🙂 Here is the link for the private facebook group where the challenge will take place. The challenge starts on Monday, 11/9. Once you join the group, I’ll tag you in a post that is a guide for how to make a healthy salad. https://www.facebook.com/groups/945403868846488/

Got it. I’m looking forward to the inspirational posts.

12. Aimee says:

Great post. Have you heard of Hal Elrod’s “The Miracle Morning”. It is a book that could change your life. Seriously. Check it out!

Thanks for the comment and the recommendation, Aimee. I’ll definitely look for the book. I love motivational reading.