Tears of Joy or Sadness

I cry easily. I cry through Lifetime movies, at commercials, at acceptance speeches, when a child says something to show they appreciate their parents, when people fall in love Hollywood-movie style ( I cry just thinking about a movie with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan).

Source:Google images

Those are tears of joy. Usually.  So what makes me cry? Like really cry. Like a tear-soaked-pillow crying session, without the promise of a little smile at the end?

Source:Google images

You might remember that I’m doing John Maxwell’s 30 day Intentional Living course (click here to try it free for a week yourself) and yesterday’s assignment was to list 5 things that make me cry. For someone who has cried at least a few times already today (watching the touching lifestories of runners doing the NYC marathon), I’m having a hard time with the assignment. Is that because I don’t want to go deep enough to think about things that make me sad? Perhaps. Is it because I don’t like to think about things that make me feel helpless? More likely. But if I don’t think about them, I can’t act on them. So there’s that to motivate this list.

1. I cry when I miss my mom and dad and brother. I grew up as part of a very close family. And then one day I felt like I was a grown up and I moved to New York without them. And life hasn’t been the same since. I cry because I wish sometimes I had just stayed and never known what it is to miss my family so much.
  2. I cry when I feel unfulfilled – that I haven’t done enough with my opportunities, haven’t made the most of my gifts, wasted too much time procrastinating, putting off for tomorrow what I didn’t feel like doing today.
  3. I cry when someone says something unkind to me because I blame myself for being the kind of person that inspires mean and ugly from someone, instead of ignite love in them. One day last week, a lady criticized me personally and when I read her words, I cried – not because of what she wrote but because I knew her assessment of me was right and that I had failed to do my best. It wasn’t her fault for noticing; I was to blame for doing it. I can stand critique  as well as the next guy but I can’t help being reminded that I should be better and then I can’t hold back the tears.
  4.  I cry when someone is hurt and I can’t help them.
  5. I cry when I feel like I’m lost and stuck and don’t know how to get un-lost or un-stuck. Thank God, that’s not often because I usually have a plan to move from my place of being lost, even if that plan takes me deeper in the woods.

Source: Google images
Those are 5 moments that generate tears of sadness, which in turn motivates me to write poetry. Some of those “sad-time” poems have been quite good if I might say so myself so my tears are not necessarily curses; in fact, they have been the markers that I am at a vulnerable place and can tap into a Greater Strength.

What makes you cry?

Linked with Amanda

1. Kristin says:

what an honest list. how brave you are πŸ™‚ I’m like you, I cry at the drop of a hat–always in movies (happy or sad), the Budweiser Clydesdales commercials every Super Bowl (without exception), when I’m feeling overwhelmed by life, when I’m feeling thankful for all the amazing parts of my life … damn, I’m almost tearing up right now!

Thank you so much for sharing too, Kristin. I am learning that vulnerability is at the foundation of the growth. When I figured that out, it became a little easier for me to share because I want to grow stronger.
      Those Budweiser Clydesdales get me every time. I saw some of the horses on show at a fair last month and I cried then too. 😒Just call me “weepy” from now on. πŸ˜€

2. Mia Sutton says:

I’m such a cryer, too! I cry at everything. Commercials, movies, songs, watching my kids play, lol. I’m a sap! πŸ™‚ Glad to know I’m not alone.

Thanks for the comment, Mia. You’re definitely not alone. Call me when you’re watching those ads and we can cry together. πŸ˜€

3. maryintheboondocks says:

I also cry but mostly when I’m moved not so much out of sadness. And I always tear up when I watch movies… always. I think as I’ve gotten older I’ve changed. I used to cry out of frustration and pain. Now not really, because I have realized that we are in control of our happiness. I’m much happier now. I too miss my sons who are far away, but I don’t cry. I am very proud of them, as your family must be of you! πŸ™‚

Thanks for sharing, Mary. I especially appreciate your response as a mom. You made me feel better about missing my family today. Thank you for that.

4. Rebecca Royy says:

I run in the mornings. The run most do something with my emotions b/c everyday about an hour after the run, any song on the radio will bring me to tears!

5. sizzlesue15 says:

Thank you for sharing your private thoughts with us at #AnythingGoes. I recently lost my brother and it made me miss my mum and dad as well as they have been gone for many years.

Oh, I am so sorry you lost your brother and your parents. I pray that you have a good support system and good family to help keep you joyful even in the tough moments.
      Thanks for hosting me and I look forward to reading more on your blog.

6. I cry easily too. One thing that makes me cry is watching the kids at the school that I work for sing. It’s amazing how many happy tears you’ll see when they’re singing.

You’re right. I think I’d be sobbing throughout the whole performance too.