Big Weekend, Bigger Week

I saw this awesome quote and picture on Instagram.

“You do it because the doing of it is the thing. The doing is the thing. The talking and worrying and thinking is not the thing.”

Setting goals and talking about them are one thing. But the act of working on them is quite another feat.

Last week, I was very intentional with my goals. I shared how challenging it has been to move past good intentions, and what I am doing to work on getting good actions instead. And I must say it’s been helping. Most days, I checked off most of the things in To-Do list and at the end of the week, I had accomplished most of my week goals.

Yesterday, while I was sitting in bed watching the marathoners at the starting line getting ready to run the TCSNYCMarathon, I was setting goals for the day, the week and the month.

I disappointed myself by not running it this year (you don’t have to tell me how disappointed you are in me) but I promise to get healthy enough to run it next time. I already made a pact with one of my friends for us to train together – I am working on correcting my plantar fasciitis issues and getting fitter in preparation.

I also didn’t get to go out to cheer for the marathoners because we had a trip to take the kids paint balling.

Who ever thought to plan an away trip on NYC’s biggest weekend? But the trip fun, I was able to hang out with the kids and we even passed over the runners on our way out of the city.

One of my friends ran the marathon for the first time and I’m so proud of him for finishing despite an injury. I’ll be featuring his story later this week.

This weekend marked the beginning of November, one of the most important months on my calendar because it’s the start of NaNoWriMo, short for National Novel Writing Month.

It’s a marathon and a sprint to write 50,000 words towards a novel, all in 30 days. I’ve done it before. Which means I can do it again. I have a plan, I have a great story that I am looking forward to telling and I can’t wait to share it with you.

Now for a little look back at how I did with last week’s goals:

• Finish a writing project – I did!
  • Write 2K words everyday – I averaged about 1200
  • NaNoWriMo2015 outline – check!
  • Work out for 1 hour everyday – It was more like 30 mins but I did it everyday!
  • Strength train 3 days – Nope
  • Eat a salad everyday – I did and this was my most delicious goal.
  • Make outlines for Nov classes – Check
  • Plan Avon event – Fail!
  • Make 20 new blog friends – I made 17. I’d call that a success.
  • Week 1 of Intentional Living – Check!
  • Be intentional with spending quality time with my friends and family – this is an ongoing goal so I can’t say I’ve checked it off but I did catch uo with some family members.

This week’s goals are:

Writing

• Finalize details for publishing my short-story collection.
  • Write everyday
  • Complete week 1 of NaNoWriMo by writing 10k words

Health and Fitness

• Do a 1 hr workout everyday – run or gym
  • Strength train 3 days
  • Eat a salad everyday
  • Drink 8 glasses of water everyday

Business and Network

• Work on lessons for a class I’ll be teaching next month
  • Plan an Avon event
  • Make 20 new blog friends – network

Personal

• Spend my best minutes in worship
  • Complete Week 2 of Intentional Living course
  • Be intentional with spending quality time with my friends and family

How did you do with your goals last week?

I share my adventures on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

1. sfarnell says:

How do you fit all of that into a day?? What’s your secret? Do you have a time machine that you could give to me?
    Hope you have a good Monday Karen 🙂

Ah, Simon. You know we can’t talk about the engineering marvels that we create on our spare time on the blog. I’ll have to tell you about my time machine on another forum. 😀
      I hope you have a wonderful day also

1. sfarnell says:

Oh I see… well then where are we going to talk about your time machine???
        It’s dark and coming to a close – how’s your day?

2. Patrice says:

Each time I read “check” I did a little dance inside. I love the forward progress and the persistence in pushing forward. Well done I say!

Aww, my friend and supporter. Thanks so much, honey. It does make it easier knowing I’ve got awesome people like you in my corner.

3. Great goals! I love that you share them on a weekly level too, so great. Also, definitely helps you keep on track with multiple types of goals at once! Fitness and writing etc. 🙂 I also like that you consider goals that were very close to being met, met. That’s a good way to go I think, definitely a confidence booster! 🙂 Last week was a busy one for me! I did pretty well with the goals for my business, but workouts and health took the back burner.. what’s new? ha Well this week, I’m going to try to be more intentional about it! Less plans = an easier time doing all of that! 🙂 XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Thanks for the support, Alexandra. I try not to take the whole goal system lightly but I am happy to make progress of any kind so I celebrate any win. Celebrate success, I always say!
      They say personal health goals are the hardest for women because we’re so good at caring about other things more than we take care of our selves. Let’s not fall into that rut.
      All the best with your plans this week. I’ll be following your progress. I hope you’ll follow me here too.

4. Joyce says:

Goals are tough for me too. I have great ideas and I almost always write them down. But…then I either loose the paper that the goals are written on, or a new project takes its place. I am trying to do better by having fewer goals at one time and accomplishing some of them. I will comment back ­ http://www.oldefashionmom.com/

Thanks for the support, Joyce. It sounds like you need to keep a mini notebook with you at all times for those great-idea moments. I used to scribble stuff on loose paper too – on the back of envelopes, on the back of my notebooks when I was in college. But I finally started carrying small journals and using the notes options on my phone to keep my ideas in a safer place. That works for me so I recommend you give it a try but just remember that the same system doesn’t work for everyone so you might need to experiment.
      Keep on having those great ideas, Joyce!

5. I don’t know how you accomplish all of that! Hope you are healed soon and can get back to all the activities that you love.

Thank you for the comment, Wendy. I am trying to be more intentional with how I spend my time but I don’t have a lot of family responsibilities so I probably have more time though.

6. I love sitting down to write my goals and then intentionally working on them!It is so great to look back on them and be proud of accomplishing them 🙂 Great job!

Thanks, Alexis. Revamping my goal setting process has definitely helped me accomplish some things in the past couple weeks but I have a long way to go still. Thanks for the encouragement.

7. I usually have a jam packed week but this sounds almost impossible! Maybe you can share a post on fitting it all in or how you plan your week and maximize time 😉 Or, is that just my wishful thinking??

8. Love the way you organize and categories your goals for the week – I need to try that out. I’ve never gone to paintball, I hear that it’s fun, but painful! So cool that you’re writing short stories! I used to love creative writing…I guess blogging is as close as I can get! 🙂

Thanks, Janelle. I’ve always been a writer but I’ve been neglecting my talent for so many years that it’s been quite a process to get back into it. I’ll be sharing some of my work soon. Stay tuned.
      I find it helpful to organize my goals in categories so I don’t neglect any aspect of my life. Balance is key.
      All the best to you with your goals also.