Workout Wednesday

The temperature in NYC was a blistering 70 degrees yesterday. Last year this time, I think we were already ankle deep in a snow so going for a run when warm weather is lingering is a total no brainer. But making time for running  can be its own challenge.

Daylight Saving Time means it’s dark at 4:30 pm. Yesterday, I went out running at 5:10 pm and the street lights were already on. That’s not quite my comfort zone.

But it worked. 2.63 miles later, I had run to the park and back, got a little Central-Park-in-the-dark experience and was ready to chill out and NaNoWriMo the rest of the evening away.

And as if I don’t have enough challenges to keep me busy, I am considering this Plank-a-day to help me build my core muscles.

I can do about a minute plank right now without falling on my face but this gradation promises to build you up to doing 5 minute planks by the end of the month.

I don’t know. Would you try #PlanksGiving?

Shared on Wild Workout Wednesday

1. Keep up the good work! Planks are great for every inch of your body, I highly suggest them everyday. This looks like it would be a fun challenge.

2. I did a planks giving challenge last year maybe I need to do it again. Enjoy the weather it’s been great

Thanks for the encouragement, Deborah. What was your biggest accomplishment with the challenge last year?

3. I couldn’t believe how warm it was here yesterday either- getting out for a run was a must! Thanks for linking up!

Thanks for hosting, lady. The weather was great again today and I didn’t get out to run so I’m glad I was able to do it on Tuesday. Working out indoors tonight means I have to try to get an early morning run tomorrow. That might be challenging but I am looking forward to it.

4. It gets dark at 4:30 pm? Hola! Good for you for staying active during this time!

helloscarlettblog.com

Yup. Sunset was at 4:48 today. That’s what happens when Daylight Savings Time ends. It takes a “little” getting used to 😀

5. Sonya K says:

I can barely hold a one minute plank at this point 🙂 I just started working out on a regular basis a few months ago and started with modified planks. Now I can almost hold for the entire minute without modifications. I’m slowly building up my core strength 🙂 Holding up to 5 minutes would be awesome.

Sounds like you’re already doing great, Sonya. Keep on working towards those workout goals. It does get easier – well it doesn’t get easier but you get stronger so it’s easier. We can do this thing!

6. tutuskippy says:

I have tried that plank a day challenge, I think last year. After I get to the 60 second mark it makes my shoulders sore, hmmmm- I must be doing something wrong! Good luck with that!

Ouch. Thanks for sharing, Mary Beth. You know I used to think I was pretty good at plank form until I was doing floor exercises after spin class a few months ago and the coach said I was doing it wrong. Maybe you should have someone just look at your form – it should ache in your core, not your arms, I think.

7. 5 minute planks?! OOPH! More power to you, girl! We’ll have to meet up for a run sometime!

Hey Nicole. Let’s see what happens with this challenge at the end of November.
      And Yes, I would love to meet up for a run. 😀

8. I’m with you on the runs…I get home after 4:30, so now I’m thinking I’ll run before work to avoid the complete darkness of night. It’s a tough adjustment! I signed up for a #planksgiving challenge too, but I’ve already been slacking…lol. It’s great to keep up with as a daily challenge!

Lol at you already slacking on the challenge. The good thing is the times for the first few days are pretty close to what you’re prob used to so you can get back into the challenge without missing a beat. Get to it, Janelle! What is the maximum time on the one you signed up for?

9. Planking is tough, but important. I don’t know if I could hold one for five minutes. Reflective gear and a running group can be great for after dark running. At least we are getting some gorgeous temps.

I can’t even imagine that someone (anyone) could plank for 5 minutes but I am trusting the process to see how I can improve. Honestly I’d be happy to make any improvement – even at my plank-day peak last year, I only held a 2 minute record.

1. Two minutes is great! It is such a challenging move, but wonderful for the entire body. Good luck with the challenge. I’m sure you’ve got this!

Thanks so much. I am telling myself the same thing. *fingers crossed*