Let’s Go To The Videotape

I might have told you already. Last week felt like a bust in terms of accomplishments. I felt weary but also like I hadn’t done much to be tired from. That’s how I felt. You might have felt something similar at some point – you’ve worked all day but felt like you had nothing to show for it. That’s normal but sometimes, the proof is in what you did, not how you felt about it. When I actually reviewed my goals, I started feeling a lot better about the week that was and the week to come. That’s why sometimes, we shouldn’t remember solely on our memory but rather go to the videotape.

Last week, I vowed to:

• Finalize details for publishing my short-story collection – I had a couple time setbacks but this is in progress.
  • Write everyday – Check
  • Complete week 1 of NaNoWriMo by writing 10k words – I surpassed this goal and felt pretty encouraged to keep writing.
  • Do a 1 hr workout everyday –  My workout times varied between 20 and 60 mins but I exercised everyday, even including 2 awesome runs
  • Strength train X 3 – Do planks count for core strength? If so, then check!
  • Eat a salad everyday – 5 out of 7 days sounds like a win to me.
  • Drink 8 glasses of water everyday – Yes!
  • Work on lessons for a class I’ll be teaching next month – didn’t get to this
  • Plan an Avon event – In progress
  • Make 20 new blog friends – Not quite 20. More like 10 but how do you put a number value on friendship, right?
  • Spend my best minutes in worship. Check.
  • Complete Week 2 of Intentional Living course – I did 4 out of 7 days
  • Be intentional with spending quality time with my friends and family. Check

So although I felt like I didn’t do everything I wanted, it turns out I met most of my goals. This is the best validation in writing things down, I think. It’s easy to get emotional about things because of what we’re facing, what we’re dealing with, what is in the forefront, what we’re being forced to focus on. But if you write it down, you can address it quantitatively. As they say in sports, let’s go to the videotape! So with all this momentum, I’m making these intentions this week:

Writing

• Publish my first short-story collection.
  • Write everyday
  • Complete week 2 of NaNoWriMo by getting to 25K words

Health and Fitness

• Exercise everyday  for 1 hr
  • Plank x 6 days – get to 90 seconds
  • Eat a salad everyday
  • Drink 8 glasses of water everyday

Business and Network

• Work on lessons for a class I’ll be teaching next month
  • Plan an Avon event
  • Make 20 new blog friends – network
  • Participate in the blog hop and comment on new blogs everyday

Personal

• Spend my best minutes in worship
  • Complete Week 3 of Intentional Living course
  • Be intentional with spending quality time with my friends and family

And before I go, here are a few pics and highlights from the weekend.

View of The Bronx, Co-op City

a surprise birthday party for one of our co-volunteers

Personalized stationery. For me? awww, thanks!

My Nike Fuel points after I finished a 90 minute spin class

Taraji P. Henson back when she was just a student in “Felicity”

You can follow me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter for more updates.

On Mondays, I link up with Monday FundayMonday BloomInspiration MondayIn and Out of the Kitchen – Feeding BigMet Monday – Between Naps on the PorchFrugal Crafty HomeMake it Pretty MondayTDC Before and After, Inspire Me MondayMunching MondaysCreate-Link-InspireMade By You, B Loved BostonBella and The CityMonday Madness, More Pieces of MeWeekly GoalsRunning N ReadingWeekly Wraps

1. sfarnell says:

Wow… how do you do it all?

2. gosh. I love this. always such a positive attitude about the goals! “sounds like a win to me!” love it. 🙂 XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

3. Loving that you share your weekly goals – you’ve definitely inspired me to set the bar higher this week!

Thanks so much for the encouragement. Shared challenges somehow feel easier to me. I’ll be checking out your page now too.

4. Karen says:

I love the list! It is nice to see alll that you accomplished, sometimes in the craziness of life it is easy to forget what you did the day before lol
    I am now making the connection to IG 🙂 I am a prodigal SDA…if I guessed the acronym correctly 🙂 I am just kind of wondering in the world currently.

Oh Karen and a Seventh-day Adventist too? I think we were supposed to meet today. I “wandered in the world” myself but I found my way back to the church. I guess that’s the point of being the prodigal – that no matter what happens or how long it takes, the prodigal always comes back home in the story.
      We’ll talk more. Thanks for sharing, Karen.

5. You are so organized! What a way to be accountable too. I have to ask how do you go about getting in your 8 glasses of water each day? How do you keep up with it? Thanks for mentioning Holly in the Weekly Wrap link up. 🙂

6. Ali says:

Wow! You’ve got a packed agenda! I’ve been doing a “planksgiving” challenge, but I am no where near 90 seconds. This challenge switches plank types every day and I didn’t realize my plank game was so weak 🙂

Don’t be so impressed so quickly, Ali. Last week I was struggling with 20 second planks but I just kept doing my 20 seconds every day until I moved up to 30 and 35 seconds. And a couple days ago when I was supposed to stop at 45 sec, I realized I could do more so I passed the minute mark. I was proud of my time but more so, now I believe I can get better by doing it consistently.

7. Courtney says:

Where on earth do you find so much time to be so productive!? Girl, you killed it!

Thanks for the encouragement, Courtney. I started making my To-Do list at night so when I wake up in the morning, I hit the ground running. So far, it’s working for me.

8. You’re doing great girl! Good luck with the goals this week!

Thanks so much, Mindy. You’ve inspired me!

9. kristenk says:

Ooooh I love that you have weekly goals! This is awesome. I definitely need to do the salad a day one – I’m seriously slacking in that department!

Thanks, Kristen. It’s easy to forgo the salads when the weather starts cooling down – fall makes me think of soups and warm stews – so we really have to be intentional about getting those raw veggies still. Add it to your to-do list so you don’t forget.

10. Megan says:

Oh wow, you should be proud! You’ve squeezed in a lot there! Great idea to write it all down, I get that feeling too, of knowing I’ve been doing a lot, but sometimes not feeling that accomplished. I will follow in your footsteps I think, and write it down 🙂
    What class will you be teaching next month?
    Meg x

Thanks for the support, Megan. I’d love to hear about your experience writing down your goals and accomplishing them. I’ll pop over to your page to see how you’re doing.
      I facilitate a leadership class through my church. We start in December and it lasts for about 9 months.

11. HoHo Runs says:

I’m always so impressed because you set such specific goals for yourself and in different areas of your life too. I just have general ideas rattling around in my brain. I’m such a numbers person myself and should use your quantifiable method! Good luck in meeting your intentions this week and thanks for linking too.

Thank you so much for the positive comments. At first, I was a little resistant to making planning lists, etc. because I thought I could use that time on actually working at the goals. But I find I get much more done when I’m organized. It’s worth it to spend a few minutes in a planning session

12. I think it’s great that you document your weekly goals to stay accountable. I’m sure it’s a huge motivator to look back and reflect on what you accomplished. You’re doing awesome! Keep it up!

Thanks so much, Debra. I’m also feeling the benefit of the momentum of what I’ve done so far pushing me forward. I hope it gets easier

13. I feel like this often! I need to be more organized and productive!
    Love the stationery so cute!
    Also salads everyday sounds like a great idea! Do you normally change it up or stick to simple green salads!? I’m a vegetarian but never been a salad girl (WHAT!?) I know! lol because I’ve always felt they are so boring… maybe its cause I don’t like any dressing. so I probably make them more boring! Soooo salad tips!? Send them my way girl!

And applauding you on your accomplishments!

Sorry I didn’t reply earlier, Caroline. I like simple salad dressings although I also love creamy ones. But a great salad topped off with just a little olive oil, lemon juice, salt and pepper lets the ingredients shine. Maybe I’ll do a feature on my salads in an upcoming post. I’ll let you know.i hope you have a great day.

1. Thanks! I use to eat lemon and salt on my salads when I would eat them. Definitely going to try experimenting with them again!

14. bellaramos says:

I love all your goals!! Taraji looks so young in that pic lol

Thanks Bella. She was young but this was about 15 years ago so I think she was in her twenties, masquerading as a college student and I think she did it well. 😀