Free To Run

To celebrate Veteran’s Day – being able to live in the land of the free, – I went out for a 2 mile free run this afternoon. No worries about pace, just run.

I like that I got these shots because now I see how my strike changes when I run downhill. On a flat surface, or even uphill, I am aware of running on the balls of my feet. I keep thinking about it and make sure I am going for a toe strike, to prevent flare ups of plantar fasciitis.

But when the road slopes down, I drift into a flatfooted strike. I have to work on that.

I followed up the run with a set of outdoor planks.

Today I did 45 seconds planks.  Tomorrow I’m planning to do 60 second sets again for the Planksgiving challenge.

And being outside to see the gorgeous fall colors is always fun, any day of the week.

What did you do to celebrate Veterans’ Day and Workout Wednesday?

Follow me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

On Wednesday, I link-up for Wordless Wednesday and Wild Workout Wednesday

1. I was able to take advantage of the nice fall weather with a walk with my husband and dog after work today. Unfortunately, this teacher still had to teach today, though I would have loved to spend the day at home with my veteran husband.

Happy Veteran’s Day to your husband. Most of the schools here are closed. Sorry you had to work but I’m glad you got that walk in.

2. Beautiful photos, Karen. It’s so nice to be outdoors this time of year. Looks like your plank goals are going very well.

Thanks, Tigress. I am enjoying feeling my arms and core get stronger with every attempt.

3. Karen says:

Hills are tough on running form – up or down. My Doc had me work on hills after my stress fracture, or should I say lack of, he wanted to walk them forever lol I do that flat footed thing sometimes too, especially when I tired.
    Love those planks!

Thanks, Karen. It’s good to hear you have a similar experience. I hope you’re all recovered from the stress fracture. One of my run-friends is having a real challenge with that after a marathon.

4. jillconyers says:

I’ve been running more often lately than I have in a long time. It’s the weather. I love it!

Good for you, Jill. I am inspired by how pretty outside is too. I hope the weather holds up for a bit so I can keep my outdoor running going.

5. What a beautiful background to be running in! We took a long walk at the park for veterans day, my husband was in the Marine Corps and the day before was also their birthday so it is always a special time. Love your photos! Have a great day!

Thanks, Alexis. I’m glad you all had a good Veterans’ Day celebration too. There are so many families that have or had someone in the military. It’s really important to acknowledge their service.

6. Love just going for a run to run, such a freeing and relaxing feeling!

Yes, it was really liberating.

7. I love the fall colors! I was signed up for Planksgiving but I haven’t been really diligent about it unfortunately – thanks for the reminder!

Great, Janelle. We can do it! #Planksgiving

8. I love this post! We take some things do granted even being free to run. When I was on a tour to Afghanistan the locals complained about the women running and running in shorts they said we were running naked. It was crazy, I’m so glad to live in a free country and to have served for one thanks for this post.

Awesome. I am so excited to be talking to a Vet. I hope you had a great Veterans Day celebration.

9. Alexandra C. says:

Whew girl. you make me feel lazy!! I’ve been doing two walks a day during my work day. Yoga if I’m lucky… but mostly it’s just been the walks. HA baby steps.. ? We had the day off work. I did a lot for my business, then we ran out and did some errands. My husband had the guys over so I cuddled up with the cats and a book. Finished my book, so I decided to get a bit more business work done. Not too shabby! 🙂 XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Thanks for the comment. I think everyone should do what they can and what they enjoy, Alexandra. It sounds like you had a wonderfully productive day and 2 walks a day plus yoga sounds like good exercise.
      Btw, what are you reading?

10. Oh boy… I wrote this whole comment and it disappeared… boo. Woohoo. Glad you’re getting it! 🙂 My husband and I work in the same place and have been taking short walks twice a day during work. It’s been really nice and baby steps! 🙂 hehe Yesterday we had the day off. i worked on stuff for my business, then we ran some errands. He had people over in the evening for a guys night… so I cuddled up with my cats and a book. Finished the book, and kept on doing stuff for my business. 🙂 XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

11. Fall is really such a beautiful time of year! And this weather is fantastic for running!

Last year this time it was snowing already so I’m definitely enjoying it.