Hello Again

If you’re a regular reader, you’ve met me, and you know a few (or a lot of) things about me. But today, I have a lot of new and special visitors from the Blog Hop, so I’ll (re)introduce myself. And whether this is your 1st or 21st time on my page, I hope you’ll like what you see and come back often.

So why Runwright? And what’s this blog about?

My first name is Karen, not Run, although I find it hilarious and motivational and all around awesome when people call me Runwright in real life or online. (I think it means you’ve read my blog and it made an impact. That’s why I write.)Eat Right Live Right RUN Wright http://runwright.net

The full name of the blog is Eat Right, Live Right, Run Wright. (The last part is a play on my name). I believe that everything is connected so I started the blog to talk about how running would impact and be impacted by the other aspects of my life.

I live in New York City but at heart, I’m still a country girl from Jamaica. That’ll never change. I’m the quiet but opinionated ambivert, the one who’s content reading for hours, loves fancy dinner parties with friends and when I go running, it’s like I can’t or don’t want to stop.

I like to sit in the audience at life-coaching seminars but one of my greatest joys is leading out in church and mentoring my group of teenagers. I really enjoy good food but I’m picky with some of the foods I eat. I have natural hair and love to see a well-maintained Afro even if I almost never let my fro go. I have a lot of goals and ambitions but my biggest challenge is procrastination.

I write about all of it – the workouts, the challenges I’m always signing up for to help me on my fitness path, the food, the journey to lose some of these pounds that (feels like they) followed me home from a few awesome dinners a few years ago, my goals and what I’m doing to achieve them, the things and the people who inspire me, the obstacles that make it hard to incorporate that inspiration… you’ll find all of that on this blog.

I also blog about books. I’ve always been a big reader. Now I’m a professional reader/reviewer and I share my opinions and recommendations on books that I think will help others.

Speaking about books, I also write my own – I write fiction, poetry, articles and I have a book of short stories coming out in a couple weeks and two novels in the works.

A sneak peek at my book still in plastic. It’s almost ready!

I’m a Chemical Engineer which means I have an analytical mind and most of the arguments … er, discussions … that I have, are because I won’t allow the wool to be pulled over my eyes and I make an inquiry that the other person doesn’t expect. Because of my background, I love designing systems and looking for new methods to increase efficiency. NYC Road Runner But back to running. I’ve always liked to run. When I was a child, I had a heart murmur and wasn’t allowed to run competitively so as an adult, I’m trying to make up for lost time.

My favorite running routes are the Central Park loop and running along the Hudson River on the West Side highway – sometimes, it gets lonely there so on early mornings or late evenings, I prefer to bike that route instead of run it.

My longest race thus far has been a half marathon but I’m intent on running the NYC Marathon in 2016. I’ve said it before in prior years, but I realize now that was just talk because I haven’t trained consistently enough to run a marathon before. In this coming year, I intend to change that. This time, I’ve moved from talking to acting. I’ve signed up already for the 2016 marathon so right now, I am just working on running consistently through the fall and winter so I can start the training plan in April. Challenges help me get past the inertia and help me get to the next level.

Two of the challenges I am doing this month are:

1. Planksgiving – I am up to day 15 and I’m able to hold 90 second planks (!) and it’s encouraging me to keep doing it.
    My progress

My goal
  2. NaNoWriMo – I started working on a new novel on November 1st and I’ve already written 25K words. The main character is a little like me (well, a younger me) so it’s fun writing an alternative version of what my life might have been a few years ago.NaNoWriMo 2015

A few other posts you might enjoy:

You can also follow me on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter

1. sfarnell says:

Hi ya Keren – keep running and keep running Wright!
    I never knew you were a chemical engineer and share that special bond between engineers that come with it (some call it a curse lol). It’s good finding out more about you. 🙂

Liked by 2 people

Thanks, Simon. It’s awesome sharing a little more about myself and finding things in common with other people.
      I hope you have a great day

1. sfarnell says:

I’ll do my best – you too 🙂

2. So cool that you write books in addition to blogging! You’re also a chemical engineer. How do you have time for it all? Good luck with maintaining consistency to pick up training for the NYC marathon this Spring. I look forward to following your journey to 26.2. I did that same plank challenge in August. I made it to 3.5 minutes, but I never held it for 5 minutes. I need to get back at it and strengthen my core.

Honestly, I enjoy being busy. I enjoy feeling a tad overwhelmed because I have so much to do. I think that’s why I procrastinate – to feed off the stress of pushing deadlines.
      I’m impressed you got to 3.5 minute planks. I can’t wait until I’m there too.
      Thanks for stopping by today, Debra. I hope you have a wonderful day and I’ll “see” you tomorrow. 😀

3. stainedwithstyle says:

That book wrapped in plastic is a dream come true! What a very interesting and full life you lead, and I am so happy to meet you!

Thanks so much. I try to make sure all aspects of my life are being attended to. I try. I believe that’s the prescription for overall health.
      Please come on back for more prescriptions 😀

4. amindfullmom says:

I loved getting to know you. I think the coolest thing is that you are a mentor to teens at chruch–that is AWESOME!! I also have a scientific mind (former science teacher!)

Hi. I love meeting other sciency friends – that was one of the best parts of college, having people to crack physics jokes with. Have you heard the one about what happens when you put an engineer, a chemist and a physicist in a room? 😀Great to meet you too.

5. Megan says:

Love this intro, even though I have been stopping by your blog a bit lately :). Snap with running my first marathon in 2016…well that is my goal, and now I see you’ve already signed up for yours, I had better find one to enter! Thanks for the motivation.
    The cover of your book is beyond awesome! What an incredible achievement!
    Looking forward to keeping up with your marathon training
    Meg x

Liked by 2 people

Thanks so much, Megan. I have really enjoyed chatting with you in the past few weeks and I look forward to keeping up our blogger friendship.
      I’m looking forward to the book too. Writing is really a joy for me.
      I hope you find the right marathon so we can really do this thing! Its going to be legend-wait for it… dary. It’s going to be legendary!

6. Nice to connect with you more in the blog hop. Love the plank challenge. May need to jump in on that!

That would be awesome. If you’re a regular planker, you could prob just start in the middle. 😀 or would you take it from the top on your own schedule? Either way, great idea. I’m feeling the difference in my core.

7. HoHo Runs says:

It’s nice to get to know you more through the hop. I’ve run in Central Park one time and it’s one of my fondest memories. Running the NYC marathon will be a fantastic experience and something I’d like to conquer myself. I know you must be so excited to have your short stories coming out soon. That’s very cool.

Thanks, Hoho. Yes, I am looking forward to marathon training.
      What season was it when you ran in Central Park? Fall is beautiful but I also love running there in winter. They clear the running path and the snow is all piled up in the middle. It can be fun all year round.

8. What, you’re a chemical engineer too? Awesome!! I appreciate a good fro too…#teamnatural. So awesome that you write novels, blogging is about as close as it gets to me! NYC marathon will be amazing! I’m hoping to run my first marathon in 2016, just don’t know what yet!

Come to NYC, Janelle, so we can run together. It’s super hard to get into – I’ve been trying for a lottery entry for about 6 years – but signing up with a charity guarantees you a place.
      Yeah, #teamnatural

9. Lauren says:

Hi Karen! It is so nice to meet you through the blog hop! I am hoping to run NYC marathon next year as well! I can’t wait to see what you have in the works with your short stories!

Thanks for the comment, Lauren. I look forward to seeing you at the marathon starting line. 😀

10. Rebecca Jo says:

Oh gosh – I already love you! 🙂 Adding you to my Bloglovin’
    I cant wait to hear more about your book – that’s so dang exciting!!!!

Ohhh, that’s just the sweetest comment. Thanks so much, Rebecca.

11. runninrocker says:

Hello from Grow Your blog hop! Very cool getting to know more about you. My brother just moved to NYC so please tell him I said HI. Not a runner so you’ll find him indoors. Congrats on the release of your new book. That is quite exciting! My longest distance so far is also 13.1 but I have been too chicken to take that leap. Good for you…going all in for the full. I’ll be tracking your training. Enjoy a wonderful week Karen!

12. So awesome! I have so many friends in the NoNoWri right now. Each year in my local writers group I think of joining but life has always been too busy this time of year for me. But I love seeing others who can pull it off! That is great about your short story book coming out, you are seriously a busy gal!
    For someone who loves to run and not stop, you are going to love marathon training. Your also going to love the Marathon. I have only done NYC once, but seriously it is one that will always remain on my top 5 list of favorites. We have so much in common, I also mentor youth groups, and at first when I was asked to do it I thought it sounded like the craziest thing, but oddly I love it and I love the teen girls I work with, they are amazing, and I love helping them better their lives and prepare for the future!
    Looking forward to following you!

13. MB Jackson says:

Nice to see your face during the blog hop- it is a fun way to expand our horizons! Interesting that you are a chemical engineer and a author- impressive! Enjoy your day in the sun! (I always poop out in plank challenges, like day 4)

Haha. That’s really funny about your plank history, MaryBeth. The good thing is you can always start again.
      A few weeks ago after spin class, our coach gave us plank exercises on the floor and I was failing miserably and couldn’t hold myself up. One of the reasons I want to get better is to go back to class and show everyone I’m an ace now! Sometimes, a little healthy competition helps 😀

14. Hi Karen! I love the play on words with your blog title! It’s so fun to be able to have people truly recognize you through that avenue! I am and have always been an avid reader, I’ll read just about anything but my favorites are historical fiction (think Phillipa Gregory). There have been times when I feel sad at the end of a story because I’ve connected with the characters! I’m excited for you that you’re coming out with your own book – that’s a HUGE accomplishment! I have family in NYC and I’ve always watched the runners through Central Park wishing I lived closer to an area like that, I feel like I’d never stop running if I did! Perhaps I’ve seen you loop through once in the past! Good luck training for NYC, I am sure you’ll get there!

Thank you so much Rachael. I love chatting with readers. I feel like we can connect. In fact, when people tell me they don’t read, I have a hard time understanding how because it feels like there’s a different kind of book for everyone. Do you follow some book blogs? What are you reading now?
      I’m looking forward to getting better with my running … You know really running Wright and all that. 😀

15. Denise says:

Hi Karen! Great to get to know you through the Grow Your Blog Hop! My husband and I were married in Jamaica, such a gorgeous place! Finishing your first marathon is an amazing feeling, you will love it! Congrats on your writing too, amazing accomplishments! Looking forward to following along on your journey.

Thank you so much for your comment, Denise. What part of Jamaica did you visit for your wedding? Negril or Ocho Rios? Or somewhere else. I’m sure you have beautiful pictures to enhance your memories.

16. Sarah says:

Hi from the hop! I’m a writer, too, though I’ve sort of set aside short stories and novels in favor of blogging for now. I tend to get lost on my way from A to Z in a story, and the mess in the middle gets too big to clean up ;). Kudos to you for seeing it through more than once!

Sarah, honestly, writing a novel from A to Z doesn’t work for me either. Take the NaNoWriMo project I’m working on right now – I wrote the beginning. Started to flesh out the details. And then couldn’t figure out how to get some of the things that I wanted to happen. So I wrote the end. So now I am working on the middle that leads to the end. I don’t know if others do that but that’s my process and it works for me.
      Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to checking out your page too.

17. Kim Hatting says:

I’d love to write a book someday, but for now my blog is sufficing nicely 😉 I look forward to following your progress as you train for NYC next year! I’m also hosting a planking challenge for November…..there’s info on my blog, Instagram ,and Facebook page. My goal is to accumulate 200 total minutes, so far I’m at 205 (and some misc. seconds). Good luck!!!!

Oh focusing on accumulating plank minutes is a totally different concept and I like it too. I haven’t been recording my total minutes but maybe I’ll start now so I can see how I match up. Thanks for sharing, Kim.

18. congrats on signing up for your first marathon! I love running in Central Park!! That’s awesome how much of a writer you are, very inspiring.

Thanks, Mar! I’m looking forward to getting stronger and faster. Woohooo!

19. mikek0525 says:

You are a really interesting person! Congrats on getting your book published, if I had a bucket list, that would be my number one! Great to see you have already set the goal of running the NYCM next year, I have run several marathons in the past but only one in the last eight years, so I have my eye on Chicago in 2016.

Thanks so much for that statement, Mike. Congrats on all those marathons. I’ll be on the lookout for your next one and I’ll be checking out your page now.
      Come back soon and often to encourage me. You know better than me how challenging marathon training will be.

20. Nice to meet you through the hop! I love that you live in NYC! I was just there for the marathon and miss it a lot. Totally do the marathon next year. It is an AMAZING experience. Since I was born in NY (Long Island) it became my dream to run the race and what a blessing it was to do. 🙂
    I have done NaNoWriMo, just not this year or last year…should get back to it though, as it’s a lot of challenging fun. I’ll definitely be coming back by to check out your blog as we have some things in common!

Great to meet a native New Yorker, Shannon. So many of the folks who live here are transplants. I’m interested to see what you been writing too. I am always psyched to hear about other people’s NaNoWriMo experiences

21. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Well you are one busy lady! An engineer in addition to writing and running. Good luck in all you do!

22. Hi Karen ,
    finally i can read your blog now.
    The facebookpage last time didnt show up here.
    Running a Marathon is great 🙂
    I did mine in the Mountains on the 8th 🙂
    Wishing you good luck and have some nice planking.

Thanks so much for reading, Pascal. I’m glad you found my blog so I’ll be checking out yours now too.

23. Great getting to meet you! So cool that you are a mentor at a church and that you write books as well! You have so many interesting things going on in your life!

24. mkadens1 says:

Wow Karen this was so inspiring to read! You are so beautifully multifacteted how on earth do you find time to do all these things?? I’m so glad you signed up for NYCM! That journey will be epic! Can’t wait to follow your progress!

25. Love it! I too enjoy taking on fitness challenges especially probably quite too often! But it keeps me motivated even when I “fall off the wagon!” I absolutely loved your reason for blogging:
    “I share what I experience and what I learn because I hope it might help someone else waste a little less time finding out how to deal with something. And I share so if you’re going through something similar, you’ll know you’re not alone.”
    Because this is EXACTLY the reason I wanted to start a blog! I had a lot of emotions when I was younger and feeling alone was an all too familiar one. So glad to have met you in the blog hop!
    -Your new follower
    Caroline https://curlycaroline.wordpress.com/

26. What a great goal to run the NYC marathon! I’ve got to get through this one and then I’ll decide if I want to try another one. I have enjoyed your posts you linked with us in the Weekly Wrap, I love that you are from Jamaica too, 90 second plank already, gosh I hate planks but they are so good for you! 🙂

27. mraabe12 says:

So cool you are an Engineer! I am a Biomed Engineer too! In school getting my PhD currently and i can definitely relate not believing all the junk that gets put in front of us especially in the health and fitness world until i see some evidence!

Also very cool you write books too. Nice meeting you though the hop! Not sure how to leave my website but it is simplefitfoodie.com. 🙂

Hey. Thanks for stopping by, great to meet a fellow engineer. And of course I’ll be stopping by your page. I did earlier today and couldn’t find a way to comment so I’ll try again.
      When I was in college, I met a few biomed engineers. What is your area of concentration?

28. I have an idea swirling around of writing an ebook, but I’m not even sure where to start! Maybe one day I can be as cool as you. 😉

29. Hi from the Blog Hop!!

Half Jamaican here 🙂 the other half Trini 🙂
    Where in NY-my dad lives in Brooklyn-I’ll be there Thanksgiving weekend 🙂

My sister is a civil engineer so I totally get the discussions (that is what she calls them too-lol!)

Congrats on signing up for the NY Marathon-I have heard such great things about it-I am sure you will do amazingly!

Love the title of your book. I was in a 10 year on-off relationship….oh the story-lol!!

Nice to meet you!

Oh great to meet you too, Ms Jamaican-Trini 😀
      Thanks for the visit and the comment. I look forward to check out your page too. We have a lot in common.

30. kristenk says:

You have the coolest life ever! It’s awesome you are becoming a published writer! Congrats! Also, good luck with your marathon training. I’m hoping to run my first in Philly in 2016 but we’ll see if I get brave enough to actually register in the spring!

31. Wow, a published writer on top of everything else that you’ve accomplished?!? That’s incredible! Good luck with your marathon training!

32. Elizabeth says:

Nice to meet you Karen! I was already impressed with your NaNo WriMo challenge but seeing all your other accomplishments leaves me speechless. You are awesome!

33. So fun to connect with you on the blog hop! You are incredible… running, writing, doing all things science, volunteering! Excited to continue following your journey!

34. You sound like a badass…. Engineer by day, super runner and writer by night. I love it and want to meet you even more now!

35. Karen says:

I love the atmosphere of huge running events like NYC . That will be a great first marathon to run. I still have that distance to tackle! A five minute plank is pretty awesome. Two minutes is about my limit lol
    I am with on the procrastination. It is a beast to be over come.

36. What a lovely blog you have! My husband and I vacationed in Jamaica a while back and fell in love with the place – would love to return someday.
    You mentioned being a reviewer. Do you have a page where I can pitch my two books?

Thank you. I think I might have deactivated my review page but I do review quite a lot of books on my blog and my YouTube channel. I should put that page back up, I guess 🙂 In the meantime, can you email me: karenwright.writer@gmail.com or send me a link