40 Days of Yummy – Day 1

I want to lose weight but I don’t want to starve myself. I also don’t want to give up the foods I enjoy because I really enjoy food. My maternal grandparents, lived healthily until their late 70s, my father’s mother lived until her 90s and she was healthy until the end. I’d like to live the kind of healthy life they enjoyed, not eating skinny popcorn, or fat-free cheese. What exactly is fat-free cheese even made of? I don’t know but it’s not yummy. I like yummy food. I like a good sandwich, a well-prepared, juicy piece of chicken, a delicious salad. Bring on the yumminess!

I am not a good “dieter” in the common sense of the word. I like chocolate and ice cream. And cookies. Mmmmm. Cookies.

A few months ago, I skimmed through this book at Barnes and Noble and I liked what I read. But I didn’t have the time to read (study) it. I ordered a copy and I just got it and now I’m ready to read, study and implement.

This book promises 20 pounds of fat loss in 40 days while eating real, yummy food. We all know the holidays are not the time to go vegan or go fat-free or count calories. But I’d still like to fit into my gown for the New Years Eve ball. Soooo… I’m giving this Wild Diet thing a try. Won’t you join me?

40 days puts us to just around Christmas. Wouldn’t it be awesome to eat great food and enjoy the holidays and still make our weight-loss goals for the year? Let’s do this thing together!

Click here to purchase the book.

One Day one, here’s what we’re learning from the book and what we’re doing to implement it.

To learn: Many of the foods we eat today, even foods that are called health foods, are intentionally designed to encourage overeating. 100 calorie packs of “diet-friendly” cookies make you want to reach for another one when you’re done. NA 100 calorie apple doesn’t make you reach for another one. Notice a difference?

When you’re hungry, your body doesn’t necessarily want food; it’s craving nutrition so eating fat-free food doesn’t help. You’ll continue feeling hungry until you get the nutrition you need or until you’re fatigued by all the junk you’ve eaten in the process – whichever one comes sooner.

What the Wild Diet is proposing isn’t new. It’s what I already believe, even if I’m not practicing it. Which is probably why I like the book (we tend to gravitate towards what is familiar) but there are also fantastic meal ideas like this one. Interested yet?

An actual page from The Wild Diet book
To-Do on Day 1
Step 1: Toss the low-quality food in your house (refined, packaged, cheap sugars).

If you’re like me, you don’t want to throw food away. It’s how we justify eating all the bad stuff in the house – it’s a sin to waste food when there are all those starving children in the world. No problem. Take that food out of your kitchen, box it up and send it to someplace where it will be used. Just because you don’t want it, doesn’t mean someone else wouldn’t appreciate it just in time for Thanksgiving.

Five foods to ditch first:

1. bread
  2. rice
  3. cookies
  4. cereals
  5. sugar

Step 2: Shop for great food – high quality, fresh, natural food. (Pick up some dark chocolate – 70% cocoa content – for those moments when only chocolate will do. And even then, savor it one square at a time)

Five foods to shop for instead:

1. non-starchy vegetables
  2. high quality eggs
  3. olive oil
  4. high quality cuts of meat
  5. avocados

Step 3: Eat it! Don’t let yourself go too hungry. As much green, non-starchy vegetables as you like, eggs, fish, poultry as you need. Eat a salad before each meal. Vegetables first, then protein and fat. Drink at least 8 glasses of water. Unsweetened tea is a good substitute if you’re missing the juices you’re used to consuming.

Day one of the Wild Diet
You can tell there are some extra pounds around my mid section, and I’m looking up to the heavens, asking for divine intervention to help lose it.

The picture above is what I look like on Day 1. I’m going to link this post to my Runwright Facebook page so you can share your own Day 1 pics if you like. Please comment below and let me know I’m not alone in this. Wild Diet

Follow my progress on Bloglovin, Instagram and Twitter.

1. Jebbica says:

This sounds like a great idea! I wish I had the discipline to keep to something like that. I have to ease into things like that and turn them into habits instead of just going all gung-ho…whenever I go all gung-ho I generally last 3-4 days before I fail and wind up binging on the most unhealthy thing I can find! Your blog looks great by the way–did you change it? However, I couldn’t get your FB and Pinterest buttons up top to work. I followed everything else though! Thanks for stopping by #FoodandFitnessFriday!

Thanks for letting me know, Jebbica. I did make some changes to my page. I simplified some things so I’ll have to check my social media again to see what happened.
      I have similar problems where I am gung ho at the outset and lose momentum. For me, I have to make sure I don’t stop, even when it’s hard or boring or I feel like I’m over it, just keep trying.
      I hope you have a great weekend and see you soon.

2. Best of luck to you! You got this!!

I am working on not gaining during the holidays and nourishing my body as I increase my weight training.

I stick to protein, veggies complex carbs and fats.

Looking forward to seeing your progress.

Sounds like you have the right plan, Meeks. Amen to no weight gain over the holidays. It’s a rough time for dieters.

3. Wow that’s crazy. I love cookies too… too much. πŸ˜‰ This book sounds interesting! I’ll have to check it out! πŸ™‚ XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Thanks Alexandra. Let me know what you think if you read it.

4. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

I tried this over the summer. Eating 2 hard boiled eggs for brekfast and staying away from starches and sugas. Well you would not believe the amount of energy I had. And I managed to lose weight without trying… It’s just hard to stay away from sugars and starches when you have an aspiring pastry chef in the house. πŸ˜‰

I can imagine how challenging it must be to have dessert accessible all the time but I admire you for doing it in the summer. Congrats on the weight loss.

1. Mary-The Boondocks Blog says:

Should I confess that I gained it back?? eek!!

Haha. That’s always been my problem too. Let’s commit to making a change that will bring us to a more sustainable place – no more yoyo-ing.

5. I gues im on the good way with eating but some days im emptying my reserves and fill it again with carbs before good and heavy activities.

And i like Bad Food too lol ,but the most i like fresh veggies

Thanks for the comment, Pascal. I think we all enjoy the bad food. That’s why it’s so popular. But we have to do it in moderation.

6. HoHo Runs says:

When I was younger, I thought I shouldn’t snack and would try to go as long as possible between meals. That just didn’t work, especially since I was sensitive to blood sugar levels. I think not letting yourself get hungry is a huge key to achieving a successful weight. Good luck with your 40 days!

Thanks Holly. I thought it was okay to snack on high carb or sugary foods like bread or cookies since carbs get burned off so quickly anyway. Haha.
      Not snacking between meals works for some people but I think it depends on how far apart your meals are, your level of activity and your metabolic rate. So there’s no rule for everyone.
      Thanks for the support.

7. I’m in the same boat, I love food way too much too! And this post is really relevant to me given my post the other day as well! Good luck on your journey and know others are trying to do the same! πŸ™‚

Awesome. Thanks for the support, Mike.

8. Teri B. says:

Lots of great ideas and if you’re looking to lose weight, they should serve you well. Om a big believer in eating quality over quantity and avoiding all those icky chemicals. I need to lose, too, but I’m in the middle of training, slow I am following the book, Racing Weight, with the focus on performance. It’s working well for me when I follow it (Halloween did a number on me! Lol). I’ll be following you for more pointers!

Thanks so much, Teri. Of course I’ll be checking out Racing Weight too. I am always on the lookout for new info and great recommendations. All the best with your training.

9. Patrice says:

I love this! I recently started participating in a program that has be doing just about all of this. Today I had more energy than I can remember having in years. Eating well is so much better. You rock girl! Let’s do this.

Yes! Let’s do this thing. We need all the energy we can get to reach those lofty goals we’ve set for ourselves.

10. Cannot wait to see how this works! 20 pounds would be great for me!

The weight loss is the appeal but the health benefit is probably the best part. Today, for example, I am exploring the benefit of fasting (day 5) Check it out https://runwright.net/2015/11/24/40-days-of-yummy-day-5/