40 Days of Yummy – Day 5

a.k.a. Less Food = More energy

Frequent snacking trains your body to be constantly hungry. Fasting helps train your body to rely on your energy stores. Eating all the time signals your body that you’re living in a time of plenty so your metabolic rate can burn off what you eat – provided you exercise. Fasting tells your body to focus on conserving energy, restoring and repairing cells, and cleanse itself. Both fasting and feasting periods are necessary to keep your body in optimum condition.

If you regularly stop eating a few hours before bed and delay eating for a few hours after you get up in the morning, Congratulations!, you’re already doing it. But many people snack up until they go to sleep, some people wake up during the night and eat or drink something, and others eat as soon as they get out of bed.

What to Learn on Day 5

It takes your body about eight hours to process the energy from your meal so eating a big breakfast might not give you the energy you need to go through the day – last night’s dinner would.

Your body uses up a lot of energy to digest a big meal – energy that is being diverted from some other part of your body (energy that you might have used to concentrate in a meeting or work on a project).

What To Do on Day 5

Today, indulge in a  fast for a few hours. Delay breakfast until at least midday.

Make your first meal something vegetable based – options include:

• fresh-eggs with sautéed vegetables
  • green smoothie
  • plain yoghurt with nuts and berries

Do you fast regularly?

Click here to read Day 1 of the 40 Days of Yummy

Shared on Tip Tuesday

1. Simon says:

I like the sound of this and might try it. I often eat breafast early even though I don’t really want to. I’m always afraid I’;ll get to mid morning and stuff whateve I can.

Hey Simon. Did you try the morning fast? I’d love to hear your experience of you did. I’m doing an update post soon so if you didn’t try it or felt like it didn’t work out, hopefully i’ll share some tips to make it a little easier.

1. Simon says:

I did and it works well in a routine. If I’m out of routine like yesterday then it goes out the window. But, for the past week I’ve not eaten until at least 10am and it works well.
        I still have to work on not snacking in the evening. One step at a time eh?

That’s awesome. Sounds like you’re doing it. Cravings can be your body telling you it’s missing something so don’t beat yourself up about the snacks. I believe some snacks are necessary 😀

3. Simon says:

Maybe I should change the snacks to something healty rather than biscuits or whatever…

Haha. I love that. Biscuits or whatever.

5. Simon says:

Its is… Sometimes cake too lol… My bad.

6. Simon says:

Thanks for asking BTW – hope you’re ok and enjoying the week 🙂

I am well. Thanks for asking too. It’s been a busy couple of days here for me but I’m getting back to routine.

8. Simon says:

I hope things calm for you then 🙂

Or not… I kinda like busy. I feel more accomplished at night

10. Simon says:

I can d8po with quiet sometimes…

Quiet is good. Busy is good. There’s an appropriate time for both and Balance is everything. Happy weekend, Simon!

12. Simon says:

Happy weekend to you too Karen ☺

2. I work really hard at not eating anything after my last meal at night until I workout in the morning. Never really thought about it as fasting though.

3. Heidi says:

This sounds fascinating! I need to go back and read the first few days but I’m really interested in this strategy and following your journey – especially since i struggle to keep my eating habits in check.

Thanks for the comment, Heidi. We’re all in this quest together so let me know if there’s anything specific you want to know that I haven’t shared yet.