12 Days of Christmas – Day One

Technically, this might not be true but I’ve never really understood the whole scheduling of the 12 Days of Christmas anyway – is Christmas Day the first day, the last day or somewhere in between. For church purposes, Christmas Day would be Day 1 which means the 12 days runs from Dec 25 to Jan 5th. But if you start today, Christmas Day is the 12th day. Who’s to say which one is right?

This year, Scale Simple asked me to do a 12 Days of Christmas blogging challenge and I jumped at the idea for a few reasons:

• I haven’t had a big showing of Christmas spirit yet – I haven’t even put up Christmas decorations – and I look forward to being inspired by the theme
  • I love a good challenge.
  • I want to read what other people are sharing about their Christmas ideas/traditions/experiences.

I’m starting the challenge today which means I’ll publish my 12th post on Christmas Day. That works for me.

Christmas Blogging challenge

Today, I’m supposed to list my favorite things about Christmas. Last week, I wrote a Christmas rant (read it here) so I’ll switch it up and post about 7 things I liked about celebrating Christmas in Jamaica when I was growing up.

1. Makeovers In Jamaica, at Christmas, it felt like everyone did something special to their home – painted the house, the fence, the paving stones leading up the verandah, they’d changed curtains, order new furniture, etc. Everything felt fresh!
  2. Food Christmas fruitcake (black cake), sorrel, the roast beef sandwiches my Mom used to make on Christmas morning, the soup my grandmother would cook on Christmas Eve… yum!
  3. Family When I was growing up, we spent Christmas day with my mother’s parents and those uncles etc. and the next day with my dad’s side of the family.
  4. Visiting On Christmas Day, people (especially in the rural area where I’m from) would visit all their neighbors, usually bringing a piece of their own fruitcake, to sit for a while and celebrate with a drink – soda, eggnog, rum-punch, alcohol, whatever the person wanted – and usually leaving with a piece of the neighbor’s cake too. The celebration wasn’t just for family but for the extended community.
  5. Church As Seventh-day Adventists, we didn’t have a special service on Christmas Day but on the Saturday before, everyone and their mom would come to church and everyone would be wearing something new – little girls with frilly dresses, men with starched, white shirts etc. and there was always some kind of Christmas themed program where we’d sing all the carols we could stand.
  6. Caroling A few years I joined a group of early-morning carolers it but I’m really not the best singer at 5 a.m. so that didn’t last very long. But I was just happy with hearing the other, better singers, show up at our gate, singing Noel Noel.
  7. Boxing Day In Jamaica, we celebrate Boxing Day on the day after Christmas – also a public holiday so no need to end the celebration early.

Please read my Christmas rant here for more of what I love (and hate) about Christmas in NYC.

Each day, I’ll invite 3 more people to participate the Christmas blogging challenge – start anytime you like. Today, these 3 ladies are nominated:-

FitBallingRunningMom

Cardigan Sarah

From TRex to Tigress

Ladies, this is your assignment if you choose to accept it:

• Include the photo in each blog post
  • You may start at any point in December
  • Use the topic supplied for the post of that day
  • Make sure all posts are in December, but they don’t have to be posted consecutively (lets face it it’s a busy time)
  • Nominate 3 people after each blog to start the challenge
  • Have fun!

Link-up your post at ScaleSimple and check out what other bloggers are sharing.

1. Karen says:

Holidays are a toughie for me. Growing up as an only child we didn’t have any traditions and I just played whether I got a few gifts or a lot…I was kind of loner as kid, and as an adult I haven’t found any tradition that stuck over the years…weird, huh?

Hey Karen. Thanks for the comment. Sorry I took so long in responding – I’m a little behind.
      Sorry you didn’t have traditions but I understand growing up as an only child can be quite different from being in a big family but if you don’t feel like anything is missing, that’s okay. I think the important thing is to live your best life, not according to what other people are doing. And now, you can always experiment with new ideas and start your own traditions.
      Enjoy the holidays however you spend them.

2. Love your list of favorites.
    I am a bit behind getting in the holiday spirit myself, I am hoping to get myself into it later today and start getting some things done to put me more in the Christmas Spirit.
    We used to have so many traditions, but when my grandparents died, a few traditions died with them, which is sad. I really wish would would keep them up, we used to get together Christmas Eve and have a party and everyone opens 1 gift, lots of fun.

Thanks for the comment, Kristy. I totally understand about traditions changing when your grandparents passed. But it’s okay to start new traditions too. Whatever you do, enjoy your time with the people you love and who are present now.
      Merry Christmas to you.

3. I’ve never seen carolers in real life and I think that would be so fun! xo, Biana – BlovedBoston

Thanks for the comment, Biana. Sorry I’m a little behind in responding.
      Caroling is one tradition I think we could all do more with. I think it sets the tone for Christmas spirit all day long.

4. I didn’t know so many of those things about Jamaica. Wow! I love the idea of making things over pre-holiday. 🙂 What exactly happens on boxing day?! I’ve always wondered. 🙂 hehe XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

5. Great challenge! Thanks for including me. Christmas traditions in Jamaica sound very similar to those in Belize. I can’t get enough Sorrel on my husband’s side. He’s Trinidadian

6. Awesome! Just seeing this -been sick 😦 but I will link up tomorrow.

I spent a few Christmas holidays in Jamaica with my mom’s family. Black cake and Sorrel-yes please!! I remember feeling like Christmas lasted for weeks!!

Hey, Meeks. Sorry you haven’t been well. Hope you’re much better soon!

1. Thanks! Getting there slowly. People come to work sick and spread their dang germs…uuugh!!

I know what you mean. I firmly believe sick people should stay at home although I’ve been guilty of going into work with a cold too. Oops. Glad you’re getting better though