Weekend Lessons

For the past month or so, I haven’t done a weekend recap or shared my goals. Not because my weekends haven’t been eventful and certainly not because I haven’t been goal-setting and goal-achieving. But life has been a little different these past few weeks and my blog has suffered a little bit. I apologize for when I haven’t been quick to respond to comments and haven’t visited some of the blogs I usually support and I don’t think this week is the week of getting back to my normal routine either but I’m definitely trying to establish some normalcy.

This past weekend, I attended the two funerals for the ladies I told you about – two church sisters, one on Thursday, one on Sunday, same place, different people, both heart wrenching. Honestly, on Sunday, I kinda lost it, seeing someone I knew so well someone so young and vibrant and formerly full of life lying in the casket. I didn’t know the last time I saw her was the last time I’d see her. I didn’t know the last time she said she was leaving that it was going to be the last time. I don’t think I hugged her then. I would have if I had known. I would have been sure to tell her I loved her. I would’ve done different.

After the funerals, I did some frivolous things – took lots of selfies, focused on my hair, watched a lot of funny videos online. You don’t have to be a Psychology expert to see that I was just looking for something to numb my emotions.

I saw this funny meme on Instagram  and I laughed and played that Hello song on repeat for about an hour.

Then I got news over the weekend that one of my high school teachers (and neighbor when I was growing up and good friend of my parents) had died. And when I was thinking about her, remembering how she always asked my parents about me, remembering how my mother has trusted her with me when I was just a little girl, remembering how she had influenced me when I was becoming a young woman myself, the lessons she taught me, it made ne want to be a better person all over again.

Enough of death, though. Moving on to sickness (which is almost as sad)

On Saturday, we had our annual Christmas program at a nursing home facility we visit every month. For Christmas, we bring the residents gifts and that means shopping, preparing, packaging and delivering. Lots of work but it’s all rewarding for work.

After the program on Saturday, we went to visit someone else close to us who is very sick. Well, they say he’s very sick but he was so cheered up by our visit that it was hard to tell. And after all the other things we’d done, all the other sadness, it was good to see someone happy.

So I decided to just move forward with positivity. We live in a sinful world. There’s always going to be sadness. We have to just smile and keep going. Smile. Keep going. And take some selfies on the way 😀

This week, my goals are simple and general:-

• do all I can to help others
  • live the Christmas spirit
  • not sweat anything that doesn’t get done
  • live healthy – food, exercise, mental
  • enjoy every experience

How was your weekend? What was the best part?

Find me on Bloglovin, InstagramPinterest and Twitter

Linked with – Monday FundayMonday BloomInspiration MondayIn and Out of the Kitchen – Feeding BigMet Monday – Between Naps on the PorchFrugal Crafty HomeMake it Pretty MondayTDC Before and After, Inspire Me MondayMunching MondaysCreate-Link-InspireMade By You, B Loved BostonBella and The CityMonday Madness, More Pieces of MeWeekly GoalsRunning N ReadingWeekly Wraps

1. Simon says:

I’m sorry you had to go through that Karen and I undestand how you feel *hugs*
    When I went through this I realised being bad about it wasn’t going to help and you have picked that up much quicker than I did. Just remember you have friends 🙂

2. Bobbi says:

Thank you for this lovely and thought provoking post. God Bless you with peace.

3. Donna says:

Sounds like life has been hard on you lately. I hope things take a turn for the better and you are able to soak up and enjoy ever bit of Christmas Spirit that you can!

4. What a rough time. Life is so fragile but death can still be very shocking to those left behind. Good you’re delving into charity work as that is very soothing to the soul.
    My thoughts are with you.

5. I am so sorry for your losses. Hugs from MD. I can only imagine how tough this weekend was.

I am glad you got to find some joy and happiness through your other visits. i am sure the nursing home and the friend you visited really enjoyed you.

Cute selfies and funny Adele-I literally laughed out loud!!

Enjoy your week and good luck on your goals….you got it!

6. Karen says:

Funerals are always tough and it so sad when we realize we may be seeing someone we love for a long time, but I do remind myself we have that hope…always! I am sorry you had to go through that this week.
    It is so nice you do the nursing home visits 🙂 I am sure it very appreciated.
    I like not sweat what doesn’t get done – that is mine.

7. Hate that this has been such as tough time for you. Sending well wishes and happy thoughts to you. Sounds like you are on your way to a happier place! I wish you a very Merry Christmas !!!

8. HoHo Runs says:

It’s very sad that you lost two special people this week. It certainly puts things into perspective when that happens. I have a brother who lives in an assisted living facility in another state with no family close by. I appreciate that you visit the nursing home each month. So many of those people have nobody.. I hope you enjoy many smiles this week and selfies. I love that last one…beautiful. Thanks for linking with us. Happy Holidays.

Thanks Hoho 😀 I know a lot of people in those facilities have families that just can’t be around all the time and they probably enjoy our visit as much as we do the opportunity to see them.
      I hope you have a Merry Christmas and happy holidays too.