Goals vs. Resolutions: What’s The Difference?

In 2016, I set some goals for myself. But I also made some New Year Resolutions. You might be wondering, Isn’t that redundant? Aren’t they the same thing.

Goals or Resolutions. Is there a difference? How does that impact your goal setting?Actually, they’re not, although they are often spoken of interchangeably, ex. someone might say, My New Year Resolution is to lose weight. Unless you’re planning to lose weight every day until the end of year, that’s not really a resolution. Or someone might say, My goal is to read the Bible more often. It’s not a goal unless it’s specific and measurable and there is a time where you can evaluate whether it has been achieved.

The S.M.A.R.T acronym is often invoked when discussing goals in an academic or corporate setting – your goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound.

Even if you don’t follow all 5 points, when you set your personal goals for the year, you should make sure that they are things you can achieve by 12/31/16 and that there is a benchmark where you will know when your goals have been realized.

Resolutions on the other hand, refer to small changes, maybe incremental, maybe repeated activities that you’ll do at some intervals over a period ex. I want to eat better is a resolution because it suggests that you will continually strive to make healthier food choices.

So In 2016, I want to run more is a resolution while I want to run 100 miles by the end of January is a goal.

Without further ado, here are my goals and resolutions for this year.My 2016 goals and my New Year Resolutions (yes, they are different)

2016 Goals

• Complete Popsugar Reading Challenge – 12/16
  • Complete Non-Fiction reading challenge 12/16
  • Complete Winter Reading Challenge – 1/16
  • Complete John Maxwell Leadership Summit – 3/16
  • Complete Pathfinder Guide class by 6/16
  • Prepare all Pathfinders to master their respective classes by 6/16
  • Fluent in French by June 4, 2016 (Updated on 2/25/16)

Writing

3. Drink 8 cups of water everyday
  4. Get high-intensity workout for at least 20 minutes everyday
  5. Practice French for at least 5 minutes everyday
  6. Visit sick and shut-in members more often
  7. Work on my to-do list everyday instead to stop procrastinating
  8. Be intentional in my relationships
  9. Do something creative everyday – write, draw, compose music, sew, make art, create videos
  10. Keep sugar intake to a minimum
  11. Keep my blog fresh and relevant with layouts, good content and interesting images
  12. Stay engaged with my social media followers
  13. Keep in touch with my family
  14. Take better care of my hair

What are your goals and/or resolutions for this year? (If you’re a blogger, please comment below with a link to the post where you’ve listed the things you’re working on this year. If you’re not a blogger, please just share your aspirations – I promise, this is a safe place)

Find me on Bloglovin, InstagramPinterest and Twitter

1. Paul says:

Thanks for sharing your goals and resolutions and shedding light on the difference between the two.

Thanks for commenting, Paul. I wish you all the best with your goals and resolutions this year.

2. Awesome!!

You have set some awesome goals and resolutions for yourself!

I am quite impressed!
    I look forward to following along through your successes!

Still working on my. Goals for 2016.

Good morning Meeks. Thanks. I am working on making some progress every day to get to these goals and I appreciate your support – success feels so much better when it’s shared.
      All the best with your plans too – I look forward to hearing about all you have scheduled for the year.

3. Great post! All the best in 2016!!

Emory

Thanks, Scarlett. This will be an exciting year for you too so I wish you all the best with everything

4. I am a huge goal person! As you know I set goals each week. One of my resolutions is to read the bible in its entirety this year as well! I know you will be successful with your goals and resolutions! Happy New Year!!!

Thanks Mindy. Awesome goal to read the Bible in a year, isn’t it? What reading plan are you following? I was doing it front to back last year but most plans recommend that you don’t do that but rather alternate between Old and New testament. How are
      You doing it?

5. I never knew the difference between goals and resolutions, so thank you for sharing that! I love how ambitious your goals are and how you have deadlines for everything. Good luck with reaching all your goals!

Thanks so much for reading and commenting, Gretchen. It’s a common mix-up but they say a goal isn’t a goal
      unless you have a timeline attached. It’s something you can mark on a calendar and say by this date, I want to be at this point. If you can’t state it like that, it’s not a goal.
      Have a great day, Gretchen

6. Karen says:

Procrastination gets me so often… need to work on it.
    You are going to be busy! You have some great things on your list to improve your quality of life.
    I have not made too many out loud gals yet lol but I am checking things off already, I will let it out eventually 🙂

I understand. Some things are better kept close to the chest. I have a couple that I’m keeping private too 😀

7. Rachelle says:

These are some amazing goals, I wish you all the best in 2016.

Thanks so much, Rachelle. I’ll need it 🙄

8. bellaramos says:

Wow! This is such a great post!! Thank you for sharing and know that you definitely inspired me to get my butt in gear!

9. You have excellent goals lined up for 2016. I’m loving that you are working on debt freedom which is very important. Best wishes for all of your goals.

Thanks so much. This year, I want to focus on making positive changes in my life – becoming free in all aspects. I’m really excited about working hard and making progress.

10. foodiecology says:

Wow, I’m impressed by your goals and resolutions! You’ve got a lot on your plate, but it sounds like you have the motivation and dedication to do it all. I tried to make my goals “SMART” too; it’s so easy to just say “I want to exercise more” or “I want to be healthier” but unless you come up with measurable goals and ways to put them in action (<–my word for the year) it's all talk.
    You just inspired me to dig out my old French textbooks, haha. I studied it in college and high school but forgot basically everything. Oh, and 100 books? That's impressive. I'm trying to balance life with a baby with exercising more and reading more but my conservative book goal is just 20. We do what we can right? Oh, and the debt thing!!! I will pay off my car in a few months, and I definitely want to start saving.

Thanks. I didn’t get everything I wanted to accomplish last year so some of my goals are a little bit of playing catch-up but I am working. Breaking them into monthly, weekly or even daily time lines helps me too.
      All the best to you with your plans too!

11. Lindsey says:

These are all awesome goals! And I love the SMART acronym! I can’t wait to see your updates on how you’re doing!

Thanks, Lindsey. I appreciate the feedback.

12. AMAZING! Its going to be a great year for sure! I’m so excited and motivated by your goals! Five books in a year sounds crazy! But the crazy goals are often the best! I’m really rooting for you here! And want to learn so much more about many of the things you mentioned! Can’t wait to see your successive steps and progress to making these all a reality!

Thanks Caroline. You’re right it’s a crazy goal but that’s how I push myself. I really need everyone’s support so I really appreciate it.