In 2016, I set some goals for myself. But I also made some New Year Resolutions. You might be wondering, Isn’t that redundant? Aren’t they the same thing.
Actually, they’re not, although they are often spoken of interchangeably, ex. someone might say, My New Year Resolution is to lose weight. Unless you’re planning to lose weight every day until the end of year, that’s not really a resolution. Or someone might say, My goal is to read the Bible more often. It’s not a goal unless it’s specific and measurable and there is a time where you can evaluate whether it has been achieved.
The S.M.A.R.T acronym is often invoked when discussing goals in an academic or corporate setting – your goals should be Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant and Time-bound.
Even if you don’t follow all 5 points, when you set your personal goals for the year, you should make sure that they are things you can achieve by 12/31/16 and that there is a benchmark where you will know when your goals have been realized.
Resolutions on the other hand, refer to small changes, maybe incremental, maybe repeated activities that you’ll do at some intervals over a period ex. I want to eat better is a resolution because it suggests that you will continually strive to make healthier food choices.
So In 2016, I want to run more is a resolution while I want to run 100 miles by the end of January is a goal.
Without further ado, here are my goals and resolutions for this year.
Running/ Health and Fitness
- Run NYC marathon 11/16
- Run 1000 miles by 12/16
- Run 2 half marathon races – NYC Half + 1 more
- Bike 1000 miles by 12/16
- Be debt free by 5/16
- Purchase a car by 8/16
- Save $10K by 12/16
- Read 100 books – 50 Fiction, 50 Non-Fiction
- Complete Popsugar Reading Challenge – 12/16
- Complete Non-Fiction reading challenge 12/16
- Complete Winter Reading Challenge – 1/16
- Complete John Maxwell Leadership Summit – 3/16
- Complete Pathfinder Guide class by 6/16
- Prepare all Pathfinders to master their respective classes by 6/16
- Fluent in French by June 4, 2016 (Updated on 2/25/16)
- Write 5 books in 2016
- Publish 3 books in 2016
- Get 1 book on NY Times Bestseller list
- Self-publish 2 books
- Acquire a writing agent and publisher by May 2016
- Complete Reading Plan to read the entire Bible in 2016
Blog and Social Media
- Make at least $5K from my blog by July 2016
- 2K blog followers
- 7K IG followers
- 5K Twitter followers
- Blog Fest in California
- Virginia Beach for BAYDA
- Union Camporee in Rhode Island
- Jamaica to spend happy time with my family at Christmas 2016
- Start everyday with worship and intentional living reminders
- Study Sabbath School lesson and read Bible everyday
- Drink 8 cups of water everyday
- Get high-intensity workout for at least 20 minutes everyday
- Practice French for at least 5 minutes everyday
- Visit sick and shut-in members more often
- Work on my to-do list everyday instead to stop procrastinating
- Be intentional in my relationships
- Do something creative everyday – write, draw, compose music, sew, make art, create videos
- Keep sugar intake to a minimum
- Keep my blog fresh and relevant with layouts, good content and interesting images
- Stay engaged with my social media followers
- Keep in touch with my family
- Take better care of my hair
What are your goals and/or resolutions for this year? (If you’re a blogger, please comment below with a link to the post where you’ve listed the things you’re working on this year. If you’re not a blogger, please just share your aspirations – I promise, this is a safe place)