Tales from the gym

A few days ago, I showed you what was on my phone’s camera roll. Today, I’ll let you in on what I’m thinking about my workout experiences.

I returned to my gym yesterday. I haven’t been there in a while and it shows in more ways than one. I’ve lost some of my fitness and strength so it’s not a surprise that I can’t do some of the things I was doing a few months ago when I was going to the gym and/or running almost everyday. No surprise there. If you don’t do the work, you won’t get the benefit. Now that I’ve decided to get back to it, I have a lot of work to put in.

But what was a surprise is how much my gym itself has changed. Now there’s a vending machine where you can indulge your M&Ms cravings or buy energy shots.

At the bottom of the screen is all the items available for sale – $20 headphones anyone?

There’s also a machine in the locker room where you can get aspirin or head bands or tampons.  (Here’s a peek in the girls room, guys)

Convenient and a little pricey. But I don’t know how I feel about it all overall. I have enough of a challenge crossing the street to walk on the other side to avoid buying candy in the corner stores. But when I’m on the treadmill feeling like I’m dying, I don’t know if I’m strong enough to avoid swiping my card for peanut M&Ms – my favorite. I mean, I could avoid almost anything else. Candy in the gym, what’s next? Free pizza? Oh wait, they already do that!

What are you thinking about today?

Shared with Amanda

1. matt says:

Wow, good luck with that. I also have a penchant for Peanut M&Ms (and any other M&Ms if I’m honest), so I definitely can sympathise with your (hopefully only ever anticipated) struggle.

Planet Fitness was never going to be on my short list of possible gyms (I’m currently lucky enough to have what I need in the apartment ‘fitness center’), and this is part of the reason why. Seems like a corporate strategy to keep customers… 😦

Good for you, Matt. I hope to have my own at-home or at least in-building fitness center someday but there’s lots to love about the public space too – sometimes I have competitions with my treadmill neighbors to keep pushing harder. So it’s not all bad.
      Thanks so much for the comment! Enjoy those peanut M&Ms.

Thanks for reading, Scarlett. It’s always a pleasure to hear (read) from you

2. Simon says:

Nive one Karen ☺

Thanks for reading, Simon!

1. Simon says:

Always a pleasure Karen 😃

3. You had me at peanut m and m’s. Love those! It would be hard for me to pass those up.

4. Candy at the gym? That just seems mean. I would have a hard time resisting too!

5. Ally Fiesta says:

I wish there was a planet fitness nearby bc I heard there was a pizza night! I’m at la fitness and they have water that is almost 2 dollars.

If the machine had crunchy Cheetos I would be about it. 😅😅😅

Yup pizza night on the 1st Monday and bagels on the 2nd Tuesday. If a month starts on a Tuesday, you could get free pizza for dinner and free bagel for breakfast the next morning. 😜
      I’ve been going to this gym for about a year and I’ve only collected about 4 of the free meals. But if they gave out crunchy Cheetos for free after every workout, I might even go to the gym more 😀😀
      Thank for the comment, Ally.

6. Christina says:

M&Ms are a little random, but once my gym was having their “birthday” celebration so they were giving out free pizza. At least it had veggies on it!

Christina :: Simple and Delish

7. What will they think of next everything is commercialized to feed our needs. $2 headphones for $20 and I bet people buy them instead of picking them up cheaper. I would expect food but healthy, I saw no fruit. 5 hr energy drinks will rot your tummy! Oh well try to stay strong

Liked by 2 people

8. I haven’t been inside a gym for so long to look around, other than when I go to watch my nephews basketball games, LOL I’m just not a gym person, but wow they have changed, not sure I like the vending machine part, but at least the stuff in the girls bathroom are more needs, not just indulges. I wouldn’t think a gym would be supporting energy drinks like that though, but its all about the money I am sure, LOL
    But $20 headphones??? I doubt they sell many of those, but that’s funny!
    I know the community gym by my house has turned into more of a community center, and they have a small food court. Which I know most parents go drop their kids to climb the rock walls or play on the indoor waterslides while they sit and eat a burger, LOL I know this because I have way too many local FB friends who think it’s funny to take a pic o their burger and fries while they are watching through the windows as their kids play, lol oh well, things change I guess:)

9. When I was younger my family used to attend a gym and they had a vending machine with candy bars. It was one of my favorite things about going to the gym! I’ve always been more of a dancer than a runner/walker and that gym didn’t really have any dance classes.

It always struck me as odd that they sold candy bars though!

10. Sarah Eliza says:

Ahhhh I haven’t seen this before!! I would totally end up buying peanut M&M at the gym…. the people who put in that machine are wicked!! WICKED I SAY!! 😛

11. Paul Goddard says:

It’s a year later and you are still in the gym. I would love to hear what the changes are from 2016 to 2017.