Word of the day: Joy

Joy is not the same as happiness.

Happiness is a response to the things that are happening to you or around you. Joy is what’s coming from inside you because of your attitude towards life.

I’m generally a happy person, except when I’m serious (which is honestly quite often). But I’ve got my share of troubling situations. There’s a lot that I’m not happy about. But I’ve always got joy.

I know the story’s not over after one chapter. I know things will work out in the end so if they haven’t worked out yet, it’s because it’s not yet the end. I know if there was sunshine all the time, we’d live in a desert and nothing grows in the desert.

So do I want joy or happiness? Honestly, I want both.  I want good things to happen so I can be happy. But because I know not only good things will happen, I want joy so I can get to the next good thing still with a song in my heart.

Today, my word is JOY.

I’m writing it on my to-do list, I’m doodling it in my notebook, I’m visiualizing a glittery printout of the word JOY on my bedroom wall so it’s always in my mind.

What’s your word today?

1. My nan was called Joyce and the word Joy always reminds me of her, a great word of the day πŸ™‚

Thanks for sharing, Joy. It’s a great word but I imagine it’s an even better name. I bet you can’t help having joy if your name is Joy or Joyce.

2. rljaffe says:

Amen! Big difference! Choosing to be joyful is a choice. We are so fixated on happiness when happiness comes from a temporary place. Joy and contentment can carry you through any situation in life. Awesome word choice, my friend.

Thank you so much. I hope you’re having a joyous day 😊

3. Mia Sutton says:

I love that distinction – joy vs. happiness. I never really thought of them as different before, but after reading your description, I totally get it. I’d like a little more of both in my life! πŸ™‚ Thanks for always sharing such insightful words.

Thanks for reading, Mia. I hope you experience real joy this week.

4. Wow never even thought about the distinction! Thanks for that

My daughter’s middle name is Joy -perfect reminder everyday to look inside πŸ˜‰

Yes. Great name! I hope you have a great week ahead, Meeks.