10 Questions Nobody Asks

This close to Valentine’s Day, lots of singles are going on dates and that comes with first date etiquette. When it comes to first date conversations, we all know that there are quite a few topics to avoid – they tend to be heavy and invite controversy, arguments and hurt feelings. Like it or not, most people probably won’t share your exact opinions on the big issues and the last thing you want to do on a first date is to get into a heated discussion about whether there should be a wall around the Mexico border, what should be done about ISIS or whether the affluenza teen deserves jail time.

So what can you talk about to break the ice? Apparently, there’s a list of 100 questions no one ever asks (Click to see the entire list) but that are revealing enough to give you a little information about another person in a safe, non-invasive way. Here’s how I’d answer the first 10 questions:

1. Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed? Closed. Always closed.  Not because of monsters hiding in the closet but can you imagine waking up disoriented in the night and thinking the open closet is the bathroom. 😕
  2. Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotels? Yes. Doesn’t everyone? Well, technically, I only take the good stuff. Some of the shampoos and washes aren’t worth it but I usually use the conditioner. And I try the lotion to see if it’s moisturizing enough.
  3. Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out? Out. Tucked in feels a little like I’m being swaddled.
  4. Have you stolen a street sign before? No. Who does that? And why? And isn’t that crime anyway? Hmm.
  5. Do you like to use post-it notes? Yup. Especially to add notes to Non-Fiction books I’m reading. But I think people who stick Post-It’s on the wall are borderline crazy.
  6. Do you cut out coupons but then never use them? I’m not generally a coupon clipper but I’ve saved coupons and forgot about them until they expired. I hate when that happens but it’s nice to get a discount on something. Last month, I had a stack of coupons for free frosty desserts at Wendy’s and I took them to the store and gave them out to lots of kids. Way better feeling than using them all myself.
  7. Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees? Bees. Because bees don’t bite unless they’re provoked (wasps and hornets do though). I’ve read about what to do if you encounter a bear in the woods – it’s standard preparation before you go hiking and backpacking – but I’d rather not have to test that theory in the real world.
  8. Do you have freckles? Yeah. A few on my face and shoulders. I should really stay out of the sun 😐
  9. Do you always smile for pictures? If I know there’s a picture, you bet I’m smiling and posing and making the most of my camera time. But I like to take stealth shots of other people. I think photos look more natural that way.
  10. What is your biggest pet peeve? This is actually tough because I have a few. I don’t like when people spit on the sidewalk, or when someone tries to dunk their garbage into a can, and fails, and just leaves the litter lying on the ground like this is a real basketball game and someone is coming to pick up the ball. But my biggest pet peeve is seeing someone being mistreated. I try to understand why the abuser is doing it but really I just want to rush in and help.

What’s your (least) favorite question on this list? How would you answer it?

1. Mia Sutton says:

Haha, I love these questions. I like asking these types of questions with my friends because I feel like you get to learn more. 🙂

Agreed. I learned a lot about some of my cousins on a road trip where we played the “Would you rather…” game. Fun but also very informative.

2. Misbah says:

I love making new friends n talking bout their hobbies n aspirations n likes n dislikes etc etc . So i learned a lot while playing games like 10 questions n black n white…..its fun

It is really fun, isn’t it?
      Thanks for the comment, Misbah.

3. LOL Love this! I am single, but not dating anyone new on Valentines. However, I will definitely keep these fun things in mind for my next first date with someone, LOL
    I can’t believe I am going to admit this. I have stolen street signs before. In college my friends started doing it and I was with them one night when they took 4 of them, I didn’t unbolt them from the posts, but guilty by association. I felt guilty for a long time after. They got really into it, their were over 20 different types of street signs hanging up all over their apartment walls. I never understood it. But I was so glad that I wasn’t living with them, several months later the police showed up for something else, and got them for two things instead of one.

Oh my goodness that is some story. Sounds like your friends might have had a little bit of a compulsion there. Sorry they got in trouble though.
      The questions don’t have to be used on a date but I do hope you meet someone special soon (if you’re looking). Are you open to online dating? (Sorry if that’s too personal)

1. They were just dumb college kids with a stupid idea of decorating their apartment, LOL
        Honestly, no I haven’t ever tried the online dating thing. I do date, but lately life has been too busy to worry too much about it. I’m sure that will change in the coming months, LOL I meet a lot of guys out hiking on the trails in the mountains, they fit me better than I think an online date would, just guessing, LOL

4. Karen says:

ha! I like the randomness 🙂 bees or bears? A bear for sure, than I only have to worry about one!

Interesting rationale. Unless you’re allergic to bees though, the one bear could do more harm than all the bees combined. 😀

5. I think these are great, & sort of funny, because they’re right. No one asks these things.

But, it literally never occurred to me that sleeping with sheets not tucked was an option. I always tuck, ’cause I love the swaddled feeling.

I like her question “What do you dip a chicken nugget in”. BBQ sauce, obviously. But ketchup will do in a pinch!

Haha. I like to dip my chicken in ranch dressing. Or blue cheese. And my French fries go in ketchup or hot sauce or ranch dressing. Let’s just say everything tastes better with ranch dressing 😀

6. acbrandt says:

Oh man, this list is great! If people actually discussed things like this on a first date, imagine how much better things would be! I love the question about the pet peeves. Those answers should be really telling! When my husband and I went on our first date, we laid it allllllllll out. He was divorced and I was younger than him but had been burned pretty badly in past relationships, and neither of us really wanted to “waste time” with someone. I suppose the method worked because we’ve been together 11 years and married 9!

Awesome. I love it that you laid it all out there, were honest with each other and worked it out. That’s what I keep saying. Tell me everything. Let me know whether I can handle it or not. People are more tolerant than we often give them credit for… But we want to know what we’re dealing with. Honesty is the best way.
      Are you going to do something big for your 10 year anniversary?

1. acbrandt says:

I think we might renew our vows when we hit 10 years. We got married at Disney, so we’ve been thinking about going back there!

Great idea. I was actually wondering if you’d do something like that. Vow renewal, I think, is a lot of fun. Especially when you have kids who can now see and experience what they’ve only seen in pics.

7. This was super interesting! Gave me a good laugh! I also dislike litterbugs! And people who spit all over, they do that a lot in sports and when I watch football I cringe! I really like what you did with those coupons! Definitely wise not to use them all on yourself! I’m not sure I’m a bear or bees question fan lol. They both seem awful and if someone asked me that, I would be a little concerned why they were thinking of such painful and scary situations! Although I ask my boyfriend silly questions like that all the time now ! But I guess I’m just comfortable with him thinking I’m crazy by now ;D

Oh man. Caroline, the spitting really gets to me and I don’t like to see it on tv either. The other day a player got injured in a football game and they kept putting the camera on him so the whole world could watch him spit. I don’t like that at all.
      Happy Valentines Day to you and your boyfriend. Hope you’re enjoying it.

1. Ha! Yes! those injured side line shots are always the worst because its just them doing all their bad habits on the side!

8. So, I’m not single – but these are so much fun. Great questions to ask my husband or friends!

So true. And no, these are definitely not linked to date settings. It’s always fun to learn new things about the people you think you already know so well already.

9. Kay R. says:

The closet door must always be closed. I cant stand it open. It bothers me. I just cant do it ha!

Heehee. That’s me too. Thanks for standing with me 😀

10. So fun! Love your answers, and love that you gave away your frostie coupons! I bet the kids were ecstatic…

They really were… Much more than I probably would’ve been eating my myself. Giving things away is a really great feeling.

11. Patrice says:

I love these questions. # 1 kinda threw be, but then I was all on board for the ride. Let’s see how I do.
    1. Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed? Closed – actually my closet is through my bathroom – it’s usually open, in a previous house when it was in my room it would be closed. Looks neater (and of course there are those pesky monsters)
    2. Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotels? Yes. Makes great donations for care packages for the homeless.
    3. Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out? Ditto . I hardly ever make my bed
    4. Have you stolen a street sign before? Ditto – who does that??
    5. Do you like to use post-it notes? Yes and I am one of the crazy ones because they are on my walls too.
    6. Do you cut out coupons but then never use them? Yes, all day every day. I am a couponer and proud. . I love your actions of giving them away too.
    7. Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees? Ditto. A bear attact seems to always leave you disfigured or …. Un-alive – I’ll take my chances with the bees.
    8. Do you have freckles? Not really. Age spots maybe.
    9. Do you always smile for pictures?. Nope. I think my nose goes into a weird triangle that I don’t always care for.
    10. What is your biggest pet peeve? Throwing trash on the road. I HATE seeing garbage outside of a garbage can. There is a sign on my way home that says “Keep Paulding County clean.” Surrounded by trash. Ugh!

12. Patrice says:

Also… I think you should know my answer to # 26.
    What movies could you watch over and over again and still love?
    – Crocodile Dundee – and laughs every single time
    – The God’s Must Be Crazy – and laughs every single time

13. Patrice says:

and to # 30
    30. When was the last time you wrote a letter to someone on paper? – YOU my sweets! XOXOXO

14. Paul Goddard says:

You answers are quite interesting.
    I’m curious to know if you would still answer #5 the same way today as you did back in 2016.