This close to Valentine’s Day, lots of singles are going on dates and that comes with first date etiquette. When it comes to first date conversations, we all know that there are quite a few topics to avoid – they tend to be heavy and invite controversy, arguments and hurt feelings. Like it or not, most people probably won’t share your exact opinions on the big issues and the last thing you want to do on a first date is to get into a heated discussion about whether there should be a wall around the Mexico border, what should be done about ISIS or whether the affluenza teen deserves jail time.
So what can you talk about to break the ice? Apparently, there’s a list of 100 questions no one ever asks (Click to see the entire list) but that are revealing enough to give you a little information about another person in a safe, non-invasive way. Here’s how I’d answer the first 10 questions:
- Do you sleep with your closet doors open or closed? Closed. Always closed. Not because of monsters hiding in the closet but can you imagine waking up disoriented in the night and thinking the open closet is the bathroom. 😕
- Do you take the shampoos and conditioner bottles from hotels? Yes. Doesn’t everyone? Well, technically, I only take the good stuff. Some of the shampoos and washes aren’t worth it but I usually use the conditioner. And I try the lotion to see if it’s moisturizing enough.
- Do you sleep with your sheets tucked in or out? Out. Tucked in feels a little like I’m being swaddled.
- Have you stolen a street sign before? No. Who does that? And why? And isn’t that crime anyway? Hmm.
- Do you like to use post-it notes? Yup. Especially to add notes to Non-Fiction books I’m reading. But I think people who stick Post-It’s on the wall are borderline crazy.
- Do you cut out coupons but then never use them? I’m not generally a coupon clipper but I’ve saved coupons and forgot about them until they expired. I hate when that happens but it’s nice to get a discount on something. Last month, I had a stack of coupons for free frosty desserts at Wendy’s and I took them to the store and gave them out to lots of kids. Way better feeling than using them all myself.
- Would you rather be attacked by a big bear or a swarm of bees? Bees. Because bees don’t bite unless they’re provoked (wasps and hornets do though). I’ve read about what to do if you encounter a bear in the woods – it’s standard preparation before you go hiking and backpacking – but I’d rather not have to test that theory in the real world.
- Do you have freckles? Yeah. A few on my face and shoulders. I should really stay out of the sun 😐
- Do you always smile for pictures? If I know there’s a picture, you bet I’m smiling and posing and making the most of my camera time. But I like to take stealth shots of other people. I think photos look more natural that way.
- What is your biggest pet peeve? This is actually tough because I have a few. I don’t like when people spit on the sidewalk, or when someone tries to dunk their garbage into a can, and fails, and just leaves the litter lying on the ground like this is a real basketball game and someone is coming to pick up the ball. But my biggest pet peeve is seeing someone being mistreated. I try to understand why the abuser is doing it but really I just want to rush in and help.
What’s your (least) favorite question on this list? How would you answer it?