The 5 R’s (Hint: One of them is running)

I’ve chosen a letter and I’m sticking with it. Today it’s all about the 5 R’s.

Currently, I’m:

Reading: The Shallows: What the Internet Is Doing to Our Brains by Nicholas Carr. I just started it yesterday and am already really enjoying the writing. Check out this paragraph:

For the last five centuries, ever since Gutenberg’s printing press made book reading a popular pursuit, the linear, literary mind has been at the center of art, science and society. As supple as it is subtle, it’s been the imaginative mind of the Renaissance, the rational mind of the Enlightenment, the inventive mind of the Industrial Revolution, even the subversive mind of Modernism. It may soon be yesterday’s mind.

Riveted to TV: Not watching much these days. I’m more than a little disenchanted with watching the news and don’t have a desire for movies or sitcoms. I’ve had enough of the nonsense-speak being bandied about by the political candidates… on both sides. Right now, Netflix is just making money off me as my account remains unused. For now, I’m burrowing my attention in books and rediscovering my true love (see above)

Revising: Stories. Lots and lots of stories. Thanks for your patience. I’ve been talking about it for a while but my little book should be available next week.

I’m really excited. And with all the writing I’ve been doing lately, I might already have enough material for the next one.

Ridiculous Eating: My eating habits have taken a nosedive on my list of priorities. I don’t recommend it but Bagels and cream cheese have been my primary sustenance for a few days now, with some roasted broccoli for nourishment. #writerslife #difficultdecisions

Raving About: What else? Oh, I’m finally running again. Ah, I missed the feel and taste of it.

Running in the cold is probably even better than running in warm weather. There’s something about feeling sweat running down your back when everyone else around you is shivering with cold that makes you feel like you’ve somehow tapped into a secret existence, and that you’ve risen above the masses. Running is the elixir of the enlightened – even when you’re almost as slow as if you were walking. 😀

How’s your day going? What have you been up to?

Keep up with me on Bloglovin, InstagramPinterest and Twitter

1. Good to hear you’re back to running!
    By the way, I’ve challenged you to the 3 quotes 3 days challenge. No pressure if you don’t feel like it but I bet you know some great quotes 🙂 link here, it’s at the end of the post: https://inbeckyshead.wordpress.com/2016/02/18/games-day-at-ms/

Haha. Thanks for the nomination. I do know some great quotes, in fact I was copying some from a leadership book I was reading this morning.
      I really needed to get back to running. I am so out of shape after this winter. But I am officially back in the game.

2. Hmm I was on a bit of a reading hiatus myself… but I picked up Bridget Jones’s Diary this week, was due back at library.. I finished it and loved it. So funny. Made me feel good about trying, baby steps, productivity etc. Already picked up another book. 🙂 Recently finished rewatching Hart of Dixie. Very cute and funny. Heartwarming. Probably going to try to finish/catch up on Downton next. I’m very behind. We’ve been watching our way through the Hobbit extended editions as well on weekends when there has been time. Overall doing very well at cooking at home, eating better, eating less overall. Not quite succeeding at regular working out… but hey, baby steps. Doing lots of save-the-dates and wedding invitations right now! Fun.

Very sleepy today, went to concert last night… larger coffee than normal today. It was worth it.. but whew! I feel like I’m getting old! hehe 😛 XO -Alexandra

Simply Alexandra: My Favorite Things

Busy busy. Good for you that you’re accomplishing so much.
      One of these days, I’ll get back to the Hobbit too. Last year sometime, I started the series and haven’t finished it yet.

3. Alyson Marie says:

I haven’t been out for a run in a while either. But it’s finally warming up in Colorado. I might have to take after you and get back to it 🙂

Yes, absolutely. I hope to make this a regular thing, you know, so it would be nice to know there’s someone else getting back out there too 🙂

4. I can definitely relate to healthy eating taking a bit of a nosedive when life gets crazy. I feel like that was me all of last week, and while it definitely kind of sucks, at least we can always get back to the wholesome foods, eh? Nothing is set in stone and it’s all about the long run.

Oh thanks so much for saying so, Amanda. You made me feel better. Sometime soon, I’ll get my diet back to normal but for now, I’m not going to stress about it

5. Yay to being back to running!!! Must be something in the air, I am starting to get back into it a little myself too:) Yay for us!!!
    Love your 5 R’s post! Is your book pretty good? I’m doing way too much reading, I think I am addicted. Other than the Walking Dead Sunday, I haven’t watched really anything on TV since, nothing good on I guess, or just to busy reading LOL

6. MB Jackson says:

congrats to getting back out and running! There is something very cool about it, right?!? I am not into watching TV myself either, just to much crap out there! 🙂 TGIF!

Thanks so much MB. Good for you! I hope you have a great weekend ahead.

7. You really describe the joy of winter running perfectly. Sweating in frigid cold.
    We all have those nosedives. If bagels and cream cheese are fuelling you at the present, why fight it?

You’re so right, T. Thanks for the support as always. Reasons #975 to have a blog – all the blog love. 😀

8. jillconyers says:

That’s so exciting about your book. Happy to read you’re running again. Feels great doesn’t it!

9. Paul Goddard says:

I’m Reflecting, revisiting, rejuvenated, rewriting and rereading. Those are my five “R’s”.