On July 1st, book-lovers from all over the world will hit the ground reading. The reason? It’s the start of Book Challenge by Erin 5.0.
I’ve found reading challenges to be quite effective in pushing me to read something I might not otherwise choose, as well as helping me to increase my reading frequency and my page counts AND this particular Facebook group is a great way to meet and interact with lots of other book lovers. I participated last time and it was really fun and I made some new friends.
On July 1st, most kids are out of school on holidays and they have a book list to keep them turning some pages on their vacation time. Sometimes, adults need a little motivation too.
If you’d like to participate in this challenge, click to visit Erin’s Facebook page and start choosing the books you want to put on your list this summer.
• 5 points: Freebie – Read a book that is at least 200 pages Choosing Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
• 10 points: Read a book that starts with the letter “R” Choosing Remember Mia by Alexander Burt
• 10 points: Read a book with five words in the title Choosing A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler
• 15 points: Read a book that has a (mostly) blue cover: Choosing The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion
• 20 points: Read a book with twins as characters. Choosing Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell
• 20 points: Read a book from the list of books made into movies Choosing One Last Thing Before I Go by Jonathan Tropper
• 25 points: Read a book set in a country you have always wanted to visit: Rereading Love In The Time Of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (Colombia)
• 30 points: Read a historical fiction book. Choosing: The Book Thief by Markus Zusak
• 30 points: Read a music related book. Choosing Audrey, Wait by Robin Benway
• 35 points: Read a book originally published over 100 years ago. Choosing A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Published 1859
• The challenge will run from JULY 1, 2016 to OCTOBER 31, 2016. No books that are started before 12 a.m. on July 1 or finished after 11:59 p.m. on October 31 will count.
• Each book must be at least 200 pages long. Audio books are fine too.
• A book can only be used for one category, and each category can only be completed once. If you want to switch the category of a book, or change the book you originally chose, no worries.
• You can read your books in any order you choose.
• Rereads can be used only once. If a book you love fits into a category, go ahead and visit it again. Read it in its entirety. But, only do this once for the challenge.
• There will be a photo album for each category with links to books chosen. Please comment on the photo for each of your books when you finish reading them. A comment can include a review, a rating, a recommendation…other readers want to hear what you thought of your choice.
• There will be 10 book categories with a possibility of earning 200 points.
• Book categories will be posted June 1st to give you time to gather books in preparation.
• After the categories are posted, please post a preliminary list with books of your choice according to their categories on the facebook group page by June 15th (if possible). If you need help with a particular category or want a book suggestion, we as a community of reading enthusiasts can help each other. (Late entries will still be accepted)
• Lastly, have fun. Don’t stress. No one is being judged, graded, or penalized. Even if you finish only one book the entire challenge, if you enjoy it and it’s an accomplishment for you, then that’s awesome.