Since I read so much, my friends often ask me for book recommendations. This weekend, I found this awesome site where an editor categorized books and writers from across the world. If you’re interested in finding a new book or diverse author, give this list a little look:
A year of reading the world
If that list is a little too much for you and you’re looking for something a little closer to home – books by popular, mainstream authors, that are set in other countries, here are 10 of my favorite authors and the books they write:
- Any book by JoJo Moyes. So far, I’ve read 7 of her books and they’ve all been set in England, Ireland, France and/or Australia.
- Liane Moriarty‘s books are all set in Australia
- Graeme Simsion‘s 1st book, The Rosie Project is set in Australia (it seems I enjoy reading books set in Australia)
- Any book by Gabriel Garcia Marquez – Love In The Time of Cholera, 100 Years of Solitude, Chronicles of A Death Foretold, etc.
- Khaleid Hosseini‘s Kite Runner (I haven’t read his other book yet)
- Helen Fielding‘s Bridget Jones Diary series
- Terry McMillan’s How Stella Got her Groove Back is set in Jamaica (I am sure there are other, just can’t think of them now)
- Alexander McCall Smith‘s #1 Ladies Detective Agency series is set in Botswana. So far, I’ve only read the first book but it’s LOL funny
- Jamaica Kincaid’s Annie John takes place in Antigua.
- Paulo Coelho‘s The Alchemist takes place in Spain and Egypt
I have thoroughly enjoyed several books set in England. Some of those British novelists are FUNNY! I’ve read a few books by writers from the Middle East and Asia, Dostoevsky’s books are set in Europe… I could go on and on. What are your favorite books that are set outside of the US?
I’m linking this post with The Broke And Bookish for their Top Ten list