Ten Books I’d Buy Right This Second If Someone Handed Me A Fully Loaded Gift Card

My birthday is coming up in a month so.. hint, hint… if you’re looking to get me a gift, this week’s Top 10 Tuesday post is for you. I’m sharing my book wish list – the books I’d walk into the store right now and pick up if someone was footing the bill.

Fiction

Truly, Madly, Guilty by Liane Moriarty. I’ve read everything else she’s written and this new novel was just released last week I’ve been waiting to get my hands on it.

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon. I recently found out she’s a Jamaican author and I’m actually reading a copy of her book right now from the library but I’m all about supporting the authors so I’m buying a copy of the book for my shelves.

Brief History of Seven Killings by Marlon James. This book is by another Jamaican author, tells a story about Jamaican legend Bob Marley and it won the prestigious Man Booker Prize in 2015. Need I say more about why I want to own this book?

George Orwell’s 1984. This is one of my favorite books and I don’t own a copy. I don’t want one of those mass market paperbacks with the smudgy print and that’s all that’s in the bookstores. I’d like a nice collectors edition, hardcover so I can reread and annotate for years to come.

Roots by Alex Haley. When I was a teenager, I read the copy my dad read in college. I’d like to own my own copy. It would be the sign that I’m officially an adult πŸ˜€ Non-Fiction

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi I’ve skimmed through this book and know I need to own and read it soon. Why haven’t I read it yet? Because the book was written by a doctor who finds out he’s dying and it’s the kind of thing you probably have to read when everything else in your life is going well because it’s so emotional. Spoiler alert: he dies before finishing the book so his wife wraps it up. The writing style is phenomenal – poetic and expressive and lush and reading his words make me mourn the fact that the world lost another great writer.

Between The World and Me by Ta-nehisi Coates This short book is more like a moving essay, written mostly as a letter from a man to his son to prepare him for the world he is growing up in. Coates has been compared to Malcolm X in his use of voice to express and impress thought.

Bird by Bird by Anne Lamont. This is one of those books that it seems like everybody has read except me. I do know it’s a writer talking about writing and her advice on becoming a writer.

Year of YES by Shonda Rhimes. I just finished reading this last week and it felt like my own autobiography- you know, if I was already a famous TV writer with a night named after me every week.

7 Habits of Highly Effective People by Stephen Covey 7 Habits is considered one of the best books in this inspirational, self-help genre and I’ve been looking for a copy for the past few months. So far, I’ve seen paperback versions and versions with tiny font but I haven’t found a nice hardcover edition that I like enough to buy and keep as a companion.

These are my top 10 wish list items today. Ask me tomorrow and my list might change.

What book(s) would you buy if someone was footing the bill?

1. Simon says:

I would give you that gift card…

Oh man!!! That would be awesome! What’s the top book that would be on your list? (aside from my book of course πŸ˜€)

2. AngelErin says:

Great list!! Everything, Everything is such a great book. I haven’t read any Liane Moriarty books, but they all sound so good.

Do it, Erin! Check her out ASAP. Her books are on the longer side but that means you get well established stories, fully developed characters and unexpected plot twists all along the way. Let me know if you check her out.

3. Shelly says:

I so want to read the Year of Yes!!

I am working on a review of Year of YES for tomorrow – both blog and YouTube so give me a few hours and come back πŸ™‚
      But the condensed version is that the book is great. I really enjoyed it. It felt like I was reading my own autobiography, you know, if I was already a famous writer. But Shonda paints herself as so like me, that I began to wonder if all writers will see themselves in her book. It is a book about becoming strong enough to just be yourself, to embrace who you already are even as you work to be better. Great lessons in here. I hope you read it soon and love it too.

4. acbrandt says:

Truly, Madly, Guilty is on its way to me…she’s one of the select few writers I buy immediately. I can definitely identify with the list changing day to day!

Ooh I can’t wait to hear what you think about this one. After Big Little Lies, I went back and read everything else she’d published earlier and i hope this one is just as great as her other novels.

1. acbrandt says:

It’s taking me a little bit to get into it, but I just know it’s going to be good!

5. Everything, Everything was soooo good!! πŸ™‚ I highly recommend it!

I just finished reading my library copy and it makes me want to go to the bookstore now so I can own this book. Loved the little twist at the end. I did wonder how the everything-everything was going to be resolved and I wasn’t disappointed.