Thinking Out Loud About Life, Death and Olympics

1. I just passed my first YouTube milestone – 100 subscribers after just a month of posting videos.   I love sharing my words with you on the blog but it’s also really cool to post videos. They allow me to express myself in a way I never have before and I look forward to being more creative with them and sharing even more with you. Click here to subscribe to my feed
  2. I experienced a miracle yesterday. A prayer I never thought had a chance of being answered just came through. Something I was dreading doing but I showed up to do it anyway. The lady said, it’s okay, here’s what I want instead. And she renegotiated our terms better than I could have even prayed for. Sorry to be so cryptic but I can’t post the details here. Just know, I’m walking around singing.
  3. I started running again. Yesterday’s one mile was just the beginning of what I know is enjoyable days to come.
  4. My heart aches for two families from my hometown – one that lost a son who was at the beginning of his youth and the other that lost a father, their patriarch, along with all the many stories and words of wisdom he had to share.
  5. What do you do when you’re reading a book that you aren’t enjoying? Do you quit? Do you put it aside and just never get back to it or do you actively say, that’s it, I’m done work this one? Or do you plod on, hoping it will get better? I have a book that I’m reading for a review – I won’t tell you the title yet – but the first 30 pages or so were a challenge for me. Continuing the story took all my willpower. Now, around page 80, it’s getting better. Maybe because I’m more invested now. Maybe because the style is starting to grow on me. Maybe because I’ve lost some brain cells to the process so I’m just easier to please. Either way, I’m continuing on. What would you do?
  6. I can’t believe it’s Olympics time again. Of course I’m excited. 4 years ago, I told anyone who would listen that I was going to train for the decathlon in Rio 2016. They all knew that was just words and a pipe dream. But it just goes to show the effect the Olympics has. It makes me want to do big things. Gives me hope for the future. Makes me want to reach higher and get stronger and go bigger. This month, I’m looking forward to everything the games has to offer – extraordinary people doing extraordinary things. But even more than that, I’m looking forward to how I’ll feel – motivated to go do some extraordinary things myself.
  7. I am usually up late. Too excited to sleep? Too keyed up? Who knows. But when I am awake at night, I read articles like this one about things you can invest in that will help ensure your success. Great list, I think. It includes a book that I bought a couple weeks ago, Napoleon Hill’s Think and Grow Rich so I think that validates the list πŸ˜€

What are you Thinking Out Loud about today?

1. Simon says:

I always love your thoughts on the world Karen ☺

Thanks Simon. And I yours. I also appreciate the more expansive thoughts you cause me to have when you bring extraterrestrial science my way.

1. Simon says:

It’s a big thing to take in and is definitely thought provoking. ☺

2. Tara says:

1. Love your vids. Already a subscriber.
    2. If you are walking around singing then I’m singing for you!
    3. Love to hear that you are running again. I know how much you enjoy a good run.
    4. Sorry to hear about the losses.
    5. I’d likely quit reading. Well done pressing through.
    6. I’m not a sports fan but I am an Olympic junkie. In 2012 I was in London for the Olympics and it was AMAZING! I vowed that I would be in Rio for this one.It didn’t work out, but that just means that all my drive and excitement is double for Japan 2020.
    7. I’ll add that book to my list – Thanks πŸ™‚

I am taking the Whole30 challenge and eating clean (no sugar, legumes, grains) for 30 days. Today is day 4 and I’m chomping on cage free eggs and bok choy as I type.

Great that you’ll be in Japan for the 2020 Olympics. I intend to be a competitor – if I can find a sport that will accept old slowpokes. Athletic scrabble anyone? πŸ˜€

1. Tara says:

I found one for you – Archery.

Oh dear. My hand-eye coordination sucks so I’ll probably need 4 years just to learn to hit the target. But it’s probably my only option.

3. A nice mix of thoughts. You have a lot going on. As you say, I think watching people excel at something (like the Olympics) is very motivating!

Thanks. And yes hours right. My thoughts are going a mile a minute – I wish I could run that fast πŸ˜€

1. Haha I know what you mean! I’ve had to slow down a bit on my running because of the heat and my advanced age πŸ˜‰ but I’m looking forward to the fall so I can last longer on my runs!

4. I know it’s a tough decision for some, but I always quit a book that I’m not loving around page 100. It’s a waste of my time – there are so many amazing books out there to discover. That being said, if I heard somewhere that it gets better, I give it a chance to finish.

Absolutely. Page 100 seems to be a good investment. At some point, you have to cut your losses and that’s enough time for the author to hook you, I think.

5. Congrats on reaching 100 subscribers. I have been counting down the olympics since June.
    I just can’t seem to finish a book I started two weeks ago. I find it very dull. I think I’ll just stop reading it altogether.

Haha, yeah I think you should put the book down too. Read something that makes you smile. You deserve it!
      Thanks for commenting, T. I’ve missed hearing from you.

1. I do love your writing!

Awww you just made my day

6. I have only not finished 2 books and I gave them a really good try. On of them I gave up on after 7 chapters because I was still not into it and the other I was halfway through and I was just finally like I cant it anymore.