Books as BandAids

Everyone who knows me, knows I read a lot. My IRL (in real life) friends always see me with a book peeking out of my purse. Regular blog readers know I post about books all the time and the ladies at the library are always asking if I’m going to read all those books I check out. When your reading habits puzzle the librarian, that’s when you know you have a problem.

Because of that, I get asked about books all the time and even when I’m not asked, I volunteer book recommendations as my advice for common problems. So this might not be a hard list to compile because I dole out books as BandAids and surgical stitches all the time.

The Ten Books I Recommend Most Are:

1. Marianne Williamson’s A Woman’s Worth for women who are struggling with the world’s definition of them.
  2. George S. Clason: The Richest Man in Babylon for a quick but in depth study on how to stop making financial mistakes and start building wealth
  3. Malcolm Gladwell’s Outliers is the book where he outlines his well-known 10,000 Hours Theory and is the book that changed the way I thought about my own abilities
  4. Paulo Coelho’s The Alchemist about finding and following your purpose
  5. Business Secrets from the Bible is a new recommendation but I tell everyone about how this book inspired me to study deeper what the Bible means for practical living and apply it to even my non-spiritual needs
  6. Elizabeth Gilbert’s Big Magic for creative motivation in whatever art you prefer
  7. Born to Run which would make even the most committed couch-potato want to lace up their sneakers and start pounding the pavement
  8. The Little Prince because big messages come in small books and can often be shared with even the youngest reader.
  9. Act Like a Success, Think Like a Success which is Steve Harvey’s take on how you can envision a dream and work towards achieving it.
  10. It’s Complicated: Short Stories About Long Relationships is the book I wrote so naturally, it’s the book I’ve recommended most.

I recommend lots of other books. I talk about mostly Fiction books on my YouTube channel. You might enjoy watching this short wrap up of the 50 books I read in the first half of the year.

If you like this post, you might also like:

Link up with other Top Ten Tuesday posts here Top Ten Tuesday

1. I am so happy to find a fellow non-fiction reader!

Yeah! Great to find you too 🙂

1. We seem to be a rare breed at times, don’t we?

Sometimes, it feels like that. But we’re here so there’s also lots of others. We just have to find them 🙂

2. Thank-you for sharing your recommended reading list, Karen.

And thanks for reading, T. What are you reading now?

3. I loved Outliers. The Little Prince is also a favorite! I can’t wait to watch the Netflix movie too. Great list!!

I’m excited to see a nonfiction blog. I’ll have some nonfiction mixed into mine, but I read it so much slower than fiction! Thanks for stopping by my TTT earlier!

4. I love that you recommend your own book. You should! If the author doesn’t recommend it then who will?
    I really enjoyed the Alchemist when I read it. It was one of those books which left me thinking about it for years after I first read it.
    Great list!

Thanks for the comment, Kate. What are you reading this week?

5. carlisajc says:

I haven’t read any of the books on this list! But I need to, I guess! Didn’t Netflix just make an animation movie called the Little Prince? Was it based on this book?

Yes I heard there was a Little Prince movie but I haven’t seen it yet. It’s the kind of book that’s awesome in my mind so I wonder how it will be projected on screen. Sometimes when i really like a book, I’m nervous about a movie adaptation. Haha