A Kick In The Running Pants

Practice makes perfect. The way to get better is to just keep doing.

This morning at running club, I was the last finisher. I’m not bummed. I know why. I hadn’t been running for so long that even though I started my MODRUN a couple weeks now, I have so much loss to make up for. I’m slow. I get tired easily. I need to build stamina. I need to lose some weight so I can be faster on my feet.

The struggle is real.

A few days ago, I was cleaning out my bookshelf and I found an old training log from 2011. Back when I used to run every single day, sometimes I’d run in the morning and then going to the gym in the afternoon. I’d hike in the morning and find a way to fit in an evening run.

What happened? What changed? And most importantly, How can I change back?

3 ideas I came up with to give myself a swift kick in the running pants:

1. Make a decision to replace my bad habits with some good ones. I already did this one but I need to hang out with my running buddies more often, allow them to inspire me.
  2. I am going to be consistent with my running. Run the 2 or 3 miles with the club once a week. But, more than that, I am going to keep doing the MODRUN as long as I can to run everyday, 6 days a week, until, let’s say the end of October. That would be 90 days. That’s long enough to set a good habit.
  3. I used to be a member with the NYRR and I did races all the time. That’s one change I can make to reverse my trajectory. I am going to sign up for a race every month to keep myself honest with my training. I am going to sign up for these races for the rest of this year:

What do you do to kickstart your fitness goals when you need to?

Linked up with Amanda

1. AB says:

Good luck with your goals. I like you plan to get back to running. I noticed that you are planning to spend more time with other runners. I think being around people with similar goals is a great way to stay motivated.

Yup. I am already feeling motivated. I don’t want to be left at the back of the pack next time I run with the club 😀

2. Dee Elijah says:

yes yes, once you turn it into a habit, it will easily be an addiction. wish you the best!

Thanks so much for that comment

3. Kay R. says:

I need to adopt these goals for myself! Ugh

Sometimes it feels like we’re all on the struggle bus, Kay.

4. These are all great ideas. I get back to basics and remember why I am doing it in the first place. That always gives me a second wind.

Absolutely. Remember why you started in the first place.
      Thanks so much for the comment.