I really believe in writing out goals for the day/week/month/year and trying to follow them. Part of the process involves taking some time to check out how you’re doing with those goals so you can make adjustments before the time period passes. I posted my 2016 goals here and here’s where I am and the progress I’ve made at the end of the third quarter.
Health and Fitness
- In August, I did a MODRUN where I ran at least a mile per day for six days each week. I didn’t always do it but it helped get back into regular exercise.
- In September, I started Power Hour – waking up early to spend the best hour of the day doing something to feed every part of my mind and body – devotion, exercise, motivation, writing. It’s been hard to wake up at 5:00 a.m. and most days I fail but I am trying to build better habits. It’s slow going but this quote encourages me: It takes longer to build a skyscraper than a chicken coop.
I’m still chasing those financial goals (more reason to develop my running ability) because I haven’t yet made the progress I would like to make with them. It feels like there’s always a setback, always some emergency that pulls the dollars out of my pocket but I won’t quit.
- Read 100 books – 50 Fiction, 50 Non-Fiction. In September, my books-per-month average was the lowest it’s been all year. I completed only 3 books and they were all novels. I read quite a bit of Non-Fiction but didn’t finish any of the business books I was reading. Watch my September reading recap here. Update: On October 16th, I have read 77 books so far this year – still on track to meet my goal.
- In September, I started preparing to resume the Pathfinder club for the kids. Update: Club resumed on October 2 and since then we’ve had 3 meetings plus 2 events and it’s only the middle of the month. Being the leader helps motivate me to develop those skills.
- I signed up for another Mastermind class in October to help build my leadership skills.
- It’s hard finishing a book. I write. I get to a point and I lose mojo and move on to something else. I have a ton of unfinished manuscripts on my computer. I need to finish something. Any of them. I planned to publish a novel in September but I am not happy with it yet. It still needs more editing.
- I am still trying to complete reading the Bible in 2016.
Blog and Social Media
- Blog followers In early September, I tried something new. I started posting more frequently and I started getting daily notifications about new followers. Alas, I couldn’t maintain the schedule and things have slowed down on the blog again.
- Instagram I’ve been hovering around the low 1300s for a long time. I gain a few, I lose a few. I haven’t been posting regularly so I know that’s why. Also, I haven’t tried the InstaStories yet. I guess that’s why I need to do to push past this plateau.
- Twitter I still haven’t crossed the 1000 mark. Growing your Twitter following is hard, man!
- YouTube Different platform, same story. I have 150 subscribers. Which is something to celebrate. But my interest in posting videos started to wane a little and I just need to infuse some new energy into it – make some videos I am happy with and take it from there.
What about you – how are you progressing with your 2016 goals? How often do you take stock of where you are with meeting them?