Swipe Right

Welcome Blog Hoppers!

Today is a special day since I’m meeting some of you for the first time. Thanks to Kristy‘s Blog Hop, today is my day in the spotlight. I’m going to do the blog equivalent of getting dressed up and tell you the best things about myself so you’ll swipe right to meet me, as though I was on a dating app with five seconds to make a good impression. Here goes.

That’s me in my Jamaican flag T-shirt on Labor Day

I am a Jamaican native, living in New York City for the past fifteen years. I am often told that I don’t “sound Jamaican”- I’m not sure if that’s supposed to be a good thing – but I am proudest of not just the way I sound but what I say when I speak. I get to do a fair amount of public speaking these days and it’s not nerve-racking anymore.

I love to read. So far this year, I’ve read 78 books and I can tell you about every one of them. I have a YouTube channel where I chat about books. What I Read in September on RunWright Reads YouTube ChannelThe written word is my passion. I don’t just read books. I also enjoy writing them and this year I published my own book of short stories.It's ComplicatedPutting my stories out into the world opened up the door to meet so many people and connect on a level that I wouldn’t otherwise have and this new part of my life makes my heart sing.

I am active in my church. I lead a group of young people in a scout-like program called Pathfinders and they keep me busy and creative both in planning and execution. My Pathfinder life

Pathfinder OshKosh experience

I enjoy running. I am not fast but that’s okay – I’m not chasing PRs right now. I like lacing up my sneaks, strapping on my waist belt and hitting the streets, sweat running down my face and back, my braids bouncing around on my neck while I navigate pedestrians on the sidewalk. I don’t often run with music because I love the thoughts that fill my head when the only thing I can hear is the steady thud of my shoes on concrete. And I really love running by the water along the West Side of Manhattan.RunWright 1 mile run

Every year, I look forward to my camping and hiking trips. As much as I love curling up on a couch, I also really enjoy testing my survival skills in a wilderness environment. One of these days, I’d like to do a thru-hike of the Appalachian trail.wilderness camping

Cooking on the campfire
Cooking on the campfire

I love food. I enjoy cooking but it just isn’t as much fun cooking for one. I’d love to host dinner parties or maybe even run a supper club but I just don’t have the space. I live in New York after all, and tiny apartments are the order of the day here. So just take me to an awesome restaurant or bring me some good Chinese or Thai takeout that I can chow down on while I read a great book and I don’t miss cooking at all.

Sure, there are things about my life that I don’t love and that I’m working everyday to change. But today, let’s just talk about good things, right? And after all, this is only my first impression post for many of you. If you swipe right and subscribe to my blog, I’ll share more later.

If you could only tell me one thing about yourself so I would swipe right for you, what would that one thing be?

Keep swiping right to connect with me on these other platforms:

1. Wendy says:

I love so much about this post! I love to read but never seem to make the time. You’ve inspired me to change that. I look forward to continuing to follow your blog.

Thanks so much Wendy. It awesome to meet you and feel like I have made an impact on you already. I learn something from everyone I interact with and it’s wonderful to feel like I am giving back to others too.

2. Janelle @ Run With No Regrets says:

I enjoyed getting to know a few more things about you! I haven’t been camping in years but I LOVE it and would love to find some fun people to explore with. Congratulations again on your book – it must be so exciting to see others enjoy your work! I will have to check out your Youtube channel…I love to read but I never make the time for it 😦

I am working on organizing a camp next summer. A couple of my friends are interested and I’ll put your name down to let you know when I have some more details.
      Thanks for checking out my YouTube channel too.

3. Chaitali says:

Great post! That’s impressive that you’ve already read 78 books this year and have published a book too 🙂 I’m the same way, I’m not particularly good at running but do enjoy it. Though I always listen to music when I run.

Oh thanks. I will have to check out your blog too. Congrats on publishing a book. I know now how much of an accomplishment it is so kudos to you. All the best with it.

1. Chaitali says:

Oops, I just meant the same way about running, not publishing a book 🙂 All I’ve gotten published is some articles.

Haha. I just realized that’s what you said. Sorry. I guess when authorship is on my mind, that’s what I see everywhere.

4. It is great to find your blog and get to know more about you! I will have to check out your YouTube channel and your book!
    Jennifer
    Simple | Pure | Whole Wellness

Yeah! Thanks for the interest and support, Jennifer

5. Hi! Fellow Manhattanite here! I am on the east side and love to run by the East River…though will say when I get the chance I do make my way west because it is pretty darn beautiful over on that side of town. Navigating the sidewalks while running, however, isn’t my favorite. And I ALWAYS listen to music! I love how you call yourself a fun-runner …I’d consider myself one of those as well…no marathons in my past just a sheer adoration to be able to get up and go whenever I choose.

Oh great to meet another Manhattanite. I don’t think I’ve run by the East River in a couple years. It’s funny how I do the same routes all the time. I definitely to mix it up a little more.

6. Appalachian trail would be awesome, I’ll be so jealous.
    78 books, you’re way over me. I am at around 50 and I really wish I had time to do more. Reading is one of my favorites too!!!
    Thanks for joining up in the hope!

Yeah for 50 books already. That was my goal last year and I just barely squeezed past it in December. What are you reading now? Are you on Goodreads? Do I follow you there? I have to figure that out.

7. Hi again from the blog hop….this would be our intro anniversary 😉

I didn’t know you like outdoor camping. Not for me girl! I find me in the cabin with a fireplace and a mattress!!

Happy Blog-Hop-iversary, T. It’s been so much fun getting to know you and one of these days, our physical link-up is going to happen and that’s going to be awesome too.
      Yeah. i like camping. I like the rough and tumble and survival living. Not the Bear Grills extreme, but I do enjoy sleeping in a tent a few times a year, even if it only makes me that much happier to get back home, take a long shower and curl up in bed.

8. Sarah says:

I follow you on Instagram (thanks to last year’s Blog Hop), and I love your positivity! For what it’s worth, my husband and I met online, and we have been together for ten years :). Keep running, reading, writing, and loving!

Thanks so much, Sarah. yeah, we’ve been Instafriends for a while. Kudos to Kristy for putting so many bloggers together.
      I love that you and your husband met online and developed such strong relationship. That makes me happy to hear.
      How did you meet? How did it happen? Do you have the story written down? if so, send me a link.

9. Hello again 😉 We met in a previous Blog Hop, I’ve seen you out and about on various social media channels ( I’m also “hopping” this time around as well). One thing about me? I’m an art geek…I love drawing, painting, decorating, wearing funky colors, and have made several “original designs” with my knitting needles. Oh, and I love running (all distances, but preferably l.o.n.g.).

Great to see you again on the Hop, Kimberly. I love the creative arts too. do you share that design stuff on your blog? I’d love to see so I’ll have to check you out.

10. I am so inspired that you have published your own book! You are AMAZING!! I look forward to pulling your journey via your blog!

Thanks so much, Lauren. Writing is my passion and it’s been a wonderful to have something that I wrote to physically share with other people. The book was a long time coming but I’m glad I finally did it and hopefully, it’s the first of many.

11. Wow, 78 books is impressive. I’m still trying to get my target of 15. I used to read a lot more when I took the train to work. Having over two hours each day to do nothing but read was great. Now I drive I don’t read as much, which is such a shame. Must make more time for reading!

15 for the year is more than most people read so your target is nothing to scoff at. I don’t think it matters how much you read, just that you read. It’s definitely easier to accomplish if you have time on a train every day. What would you say is the best book you’ve read so far this year?

12. Nice to learn a bit about you! I love that you live in New York! It’s my favorite place! 🙂
    I ran the NYC Marathon last year and can’t wait to go back in 2017. I was born in Long Island, NY and even though I’ve lived in Florida most of my life, New York has a close place in my heart.
    Congrats on publishing your own book, that is cool. I’m sure NYC provides a lot of inspiration for your writing.

Thanks for your comment, Shannon. I’ve been trying to get to the NYC Marathon starting line for a few years now and it still hasn’t happened and won’t this year either. Maybe I’ll meet you there in 2017.

13. I want to go camping again but my husband has no interest to do so. First I’d have to buy all the gear…

It’s sad when we don’t do the things we want to because the people in our lives aren’t interested. maybe the compromise can be that you both start out by going car camping or go for a day hike where you can do camping-type activities without needing tents and overnight equipment. Let’s chat some more if you want ideas.

14. Elizabeth says:

78 books? That’s impressive! I probably have 60 under my belt but they’re all elementary aged books lol I’ll check out your YouTube channel to get some book suggestions as I’d like to start reading more. I miss curling up with some tea and a good book. Not that I don’t enjoy Dr Seuss lol

60 books in a year is a great accomplishment. This is my second year tracking how many books I’ve read – last year I got 50-something so I challenged myself to finish 100 in 2016. It’s been a great experience so far.
      Yeah definitely check out my YouTube channel, I am trying some new things on that platform. My channel name is RunWright Reads

15. debolton says:

Ah, thanks for getting dressed up for us. I love yonread.too but lately the books I read are either for school or devotion. I need to squeeze in a few more books for pleadure. I grew up attending Pathfinders meetings and events and one of my Sister’s was a leader for many years. I am no longer SDA but am the 6th generation in my family. Brought back a lot of childhood memories. Loved getting to know you better

Oh this is so interesting. We should chat a little more about your Pathfinder background. you’re the first person I’ve met through the blog who shares that experience so forgive me if I latch on to you 🙂
      I understand about not having much time to read for pleasure. When I was in college, I used reading to procrastinate studying so it’s good that you’re so disciplined.

1. debolton says:

It’s funny when I was younger and in college that was the case. I think this time maturity helps with me studying and I really love what I am learning. Yes, I actually sewed all the skirts for our Pathfinder’s one summer. We can definitely chat! I actually follow you on IG too!

16. pondernwonder says:

I loved getting to know you better. ‘Swiping Right’ – Haha… cooking for one, I hear you sista… I love cooking but find the process too painful for just one. One thing about me – I am some weird sort of mixed breed of an introvert and extrovert. Haha! 🙂

It’s not weird at all. Being an ambivert is a real thing and I think it describes me too. When I’m with good people, I can be the life of the party but I also really cherish my alone time and enjoy my own company.

17. Mandie says:

I loved reading your intro and am definitely subscribing!

One of the people I interviewed for my podcast a few weeks ago started a meal delivery service from her manhattan studio apartment, so don’t give up hope on your dream of cooking for others!

As for me to have you swipe right – I change lives and play dress up for a living!

Thanks so much for this comment. I love that you change lives and dress up for a living. Sounds like a great life 😀

18. acbrandt says:

Nice job on the 78 books! My goal was 100 for the year but I’m not sure I’m going to hit it. Can’t wait to check out your YouTube channel!

Thanks AC. I hope you’ll like it. I just started and am still finding my legs in the video world but I am enjoying the process so far.

Where are you with your reading goal now? I need to read a classic in the next week to finish my October challenge.

1. acbrandt says:

I’m somewhere in the 50s. I could still do it, but it would take some cracking down on my bookworm ways! I love that you give yourself monthly challenges! That’s so fun.

19. I think this is our Blog Hopaversary since we met during a previous hop last year! Your focus on reading seriously amazes me. And, to publish on top of that is too cool. I think I barely hit my goal of a book a month in 2016.

You’re right, Lisa and it’s great to see that we’re still both participating again.
      I’ve always enjoyed reading but last year, I started setting reading goals and it’s really pushed me. This year was my most ambitious reading goal but I also wanted to focus not just on entertainment but on books that will teach me something so that’s the bonus and the motivation.
      A book a month is better than most so kudos to you too!