On Repeat

What movie could you watch over and over and still enjoy?

Many years ago I would’ve had no trouble answering this question because there were, indeed, two movies that I watched several times over with my best friend at the time, Keisha. They were Clueless and My Best Friend’s Wedding. We watched those two movies so often, we knew most of the dialogue by heart and would take turns saying the lines along with the characters. Pretty Woman is also in that category. I’ve seen it too many times to count.

Since then, there’ve been several movies I’ve watched many times:

Gone With The Wind, SelenaLove Actually, Titanic, Serendipity, When Harry Met Sally and Amelie – I’ve watched Amelie too many times to count that I could probably just tell you the original words, in French, even without the screen being on, which is also probably why if I had to choose one movie to watch on repeat, I wouldn’t have to choose it. Amelie

But if I had to choose a single movie to watch over and over again, I’d pick Big Fish. It’s a new-to-me movie. I’ve seen it twice. But it has such a layer of complexity and whimsy that I think I could watch it many times and still find something new to enjoy each time.

What’s your one movie that you’d watch over and over?

1. pondernwonder says:

Haha… I am a huge Bollywood fan… so one of my go-to movies is ‘Kal Ho Na Ho’ which literally translates to ‘ tomorrow may or may not happen’. It’s about cherishing the present and people around you now!

Such a great title for a movie. I used to really enjoy watching Bollywood movies but I haven’t seen one in a long while. The friends I used to watch those movies with all got married and had babies so we dont’ hang out much anymore. I didn’t know it at the time but those memories were to be cherished because ‘Kal Ho Na Ho’ 😉

2. Kate W says:

I love When Harry Met Sally but my all time favourite is A Room With a View – perfect comedy of manners with a little bit to make you cry as well.

Oh my, I’ve never seen Room With A View. I can’t imagine how it missed my attention but I have to remedy that asap. I just looked it up on IMDb and it looks exactly like my kind of movie. Thanks for the recommendation.

3. Chaitali says:

I haven’t seen Big Fish, I’ll have to look into that one. I love Amelie! Another movie I feel like I could watch repeatedly is 10 Things I Hate About You.

A friend recommended Big Fish to me. It’s not a movie that I might have found on my own. But yeah Amelie is a fave. I even love the narrator’s voice.

4. Back to the Future! My favorite movie and trilogy series.
    I can’t tell you how many times I’ve actually watched because I loat count! Definitely fun and well done of a film.

Some months ago when it was the date they had used in the Back to the Future movie, I enjoyed seeing the comparisons – how is life like what the film had predicted.

5. I was obsessed with Amelie for a long time. Before that it was Heavenly Creatures, one of Peter Jackson’s early films. Nowadays, I get more into shows…Transparent, Orange is the New Black, House of Cards, High Maintenance. But I will look into Big Fish. I like your description of it – complex with whimsy.

6. There’s an Afrikaans movie, Vir Altyd, that I’d watch over and over and over and over. I bought the DVD and have watched it maybe five or six times. Love it!

This is so interesting because while I would love to think of myself as being cultured, I don’t know much about Afrikaans movies. Thanks for sharing that. I have much to experience

7. Elizabeth says:

Amelie is one of my all time favorite movies and so is Gone With The Wind. I’m a big Tim Burton fan so Big Fish is right up my alley. I agree with you, the film has so many complexities you might miss if you only saw it once. But, if I had to pick one movie to watch over and over it would be the original Star Wars trilogy.